MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modcan A, wat to get
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Modcan A, wat to get
Fnord
So for the last 5 years, I've had this gaping hole in my Modcan A system that WOULD have been a pair of plan B vco's. That's not going to happen, so I'm in deep contemplation on what to put there. Tabla (if i can find one used) vcdo and dual vdo would be the direction i'm leaning in, but how do the modcan dco's sound? I'll be picking up some of the motm ones in euro, so i'm wondering if this would be too redundant. Totally open to suggestions, here's what I currently have:

Dual sawtooth animator
rythmic divider
gated comparator
ZO
synthacon filter
staircase comparator
dual wasp filter
mix six mono mixer
logipac
quad lowpass gates
dual adsr
ignatius
the VCDO is amazing. the FM Stuff is killer and it sounds great. very fun and killer sounding module. i want to get another one sooner or later.

the modcan flanger is one of my favorites. so versatile for so many things. really can add to the synthesis palette and just sounds killer on so many things.

i don't have DVDO but i imagine you'd get a lot of overlap w/the MOTM euro one (which sounds great judging by the demos)

i'm really looking forward to the new dual freq shifter. it should show up in A format before too long. also looking forward to the new envelope and filter modules. Bruce always has something cooking.

you really cannot go wrong w/a VCDO or/and the flanger. both sound incredible to my ears. they are win win win win

It's peanut butter jelly time!
decaying.sine
Do you have noise & s & h covered in euro? How about basic VCAs? Sandy and some others recommended the Modcan A 4VCA with the pull pots for audio and CV processing (option 3, I think).

Here's a cool thread with some samples and some VCDO wave examples.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1680
VCDO sample here too: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8592

I love the sound of the digital osc's from the samples that I have heard. From the samples I have heard, at least the morphing terrarium appears quite different than these.
Drunken Homer Simpson

CV recorder 57a looks cool. VC AHDBDSR 64A (not on the webpage, but I think you can order it. Bruce said he was waiting for the faceplates), is a ridiculously snappy envelope. Miniwave seems to get-nice recs too. I like the idea of having the 32a X/Y Contoller as well for some more voltage control.

Right now, I have the Modcan A:
ZO
Rhythmic Divider
Prime Divider
Multimode Filter 10A

I need to stop buying euro stuff so I can put in my order, which I am hoping will include these modules:
31a 4VCA 31a
32a X/Y Contoller 32a
57a CV Recorder 57a
58a VCDO 58a
64A VC AHDBDSR 64A
61a Quad LFO 61a
DVDO 62A
48db LPF 67A (whenever it becomes available)

I'd love to have the Miniwave 22a, but I feel like I will already have a tremendous amount of stuff to learn and don't want to completely overwhelm myself more than I already am!
thermionicjunky
The VCDO sounds fantastic. The MOTM wavetable oscillator is more appealing to me than the DVDO, but I haven't tried the DVDO. The Cloud Generator shouldn't overlap with anything except a CGS CV Cluster and several oscillators. They should all sound great with the LPGs. Get a VCDO!
parasitk
The DVDO is great! I love the interpolating between the A and B oscillator waveforms. This drone is the DVDO through the STG Wave Folder.

The VCDO is simply amazing too. I can't wait to have more time with them both this week! SlayerBadger!
AnalogAssailant
I too have a spot in my case waiting to be filled.

I am holding out for the FUN module (think kurzweil but with audio range capabilities) Bruce has in the pipeline. You may want to consider waiting for that one as well.
sandyb
AnalogAssailant wrote:
I too have a spot in my case waiting to be filled.

I am holding out for the FUN module (think kurzweil but with audio range capabilities) Bruce has in the pipeline. You may want to consider waiting for that one as well.

i think everybody has a space waiting in their case for the FUN module! hihi
Fnord
Are they shallow modules? I've got a rear mounted power supply and it would suck ass if they didn't fit. Think I may have to go with initial plan of vcdo/dvdo and tabla.

also

Damn you all for making me wish i had a bigger case. QQ
sandyb
depth of modcan modules is variable. some (particularly the newer "digital" modules) are pretty shallow. some of the other designs are fairly deep.
sydilaxe
I have a medium-sized A series system (approx. 32 modules).

The current most used modules in my system are:
4VCA (I use three of em)
Dual Multimode
Quad EG
Quad LFO (analog) and Dual LFO
VCDO (I love the sounds this thing makes)
Processor
Digital Delay

I have a Dual VDO, but it does not get used in patches as frequently as the two VCDO. It definitely has it's place in the palette.

I love my CV recorder. It generally gets patched as either a weird modulation source, a looping audio drone, etc.

Lots of choices out there....
Fnord
how's the depth on the vcdo and dvdo? i've got one of the wooden cyndustries racks, with the power supply mounted to the back of it.
science
The VC Tabla is about 6" deep, FYI. It's a very large module over all.
Fnord
Anyone know how deep the vcdo and dvdo are?
Curious about afforementioned FUN module.
thermionicjunky
Fnord wrote:
Curious about afforementioned FUN module.

Well, the B series VCDO is maybe a bit over 3 inches deep. It's one of the shallower modules with perpendicular boards.

FUNs: They're starting with the already long list of mathematical functions in the Kurzweil and expanding it. Basically, it takes two signals and sticks them into equations. I am also eagerly awaiting that one.
decaying.sine
I was interested in reading about the Kurzweil being referred to in relation to the FUN module. Any specific model?
thermionicjunky
decaying.sine wrote:
I was interested in reading about the Kurzweil being referred to in relation to the FUN module. Any specific model?

Bruce Duncan has a K2000, so I assume it is based on that.

Edit: List added

a+b
a-b
(a+b)/2
a/2+b
a/4+b/2
(a+2b)/3
a*b
-a*b
a*10^b
min (a, b)
max (a, b)
Quantize b to a
lowpass (f=a, b)
hipass (f=a, b)
b/(1-a)
a(b-y)
(a+b)^2
sin (a+b)
cos (a+b)
tri (a+b)
warp1(a, b)
a AND b
a OR b
b>a
ramp (f=a+b)
ramp (f=a-b)
ramp (f=(a+b)/2)
ramp (f=a*b)
ramp (f= -a*b)
ramp (f=a*10^b)
ramp (f=(a+b)/4)
a(y+b)
ay+b
(a+1)y+b
y+a(y+b)
a I y I +b
Sample b On a
Sample b On -a
Track b While a
diode (a-b)
diode (a-b+.5)
diode (a-b-.5)
diode (a-b+.25)
diode (a-b-.25)
Track b While -a
parasitk
thermionicjunky wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Well, the B series VCDO is maybe a bit over 3 inches deep.

I just measured my A series DVDO and it was just under 3.5 inches deep. From what I've been told the newer VCDO uses the same PCB. My VCDO is a little older and just a tad deeper.
ignatius
Fnord wrote:
i've got one of the wooden cyndustries racks, with the power supply mounted to the back of it.

i had one of those for a long time and never had any problem w/the modules getting close to it. you should be fine.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1