MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

F'ing Frac
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author F'ing Frac
goiks
11ish wrote:
Frac modules (at least the Blacet ones) tend to be rather deep. And large.


While deep and large can be desirable attributes in other contexts, they certainly hamper portability in this one, and are the main reason I chose to go Euro at a certain point. Still can't get rid of the Miniwave though. And even my 15v DIY has euro size faceplates now.
panda30y
goiks wrote:
11ish wrote:
Frac modules (at least the Blacet ones) tend to be rather deep. And large.


While deep and large can be desirable attributes in other contexts, they certainly hamper portability in this one, and are the main reason I chose to go Euro at a certain point. Still can't get rid of the Miniwave though. And even my 15v DIY has euro size faceplates now.


I certainly don't think the size is that big of an issue in terms of portability. It is certainly not approaching anywhere close to what a challenge a 5U system would present, and even though it is about 7 inches deep, when it is racked in a case it isn't that much deeper. More along the lines of gigging w/ a very light 2x12 combo amp. You might not be able to fit as many modules into a single row as euro, but I do feel overall the modules tend to have more depth and the ones that don't are just 1 FU wide.

I think the things hurting Frac is that euro is so similar to it in terms of build, 3U and utilizing 3.5mm jacks and cords. And the obvious number of manufacturers supporting euro make frac seem stagnant. If blacet were to start introducing newer modules (and hopefully a banana jack option meh ) and when Bugbrand begins manufacturing his modules in greater quantity, I think you'll find it surprising how many more people will begin to start building their own frac systems or expanding their systems. Not to mention there is also this other amazing company named metalbox making fantastic modules as well. If the three of them start releasing and/or make exciting new revisions, we would get a big spark in interest. Look at how much activity has happened here because of bugbrand's recent sale.
DGTom
panda30y wrote:
(and hopefully a banana jack option meh )


I would love for someone to email & suggest this to J. Blacet... please report back with the reply hihi
panda30y
DGTom wrote:
panda30y wrote:
(and hopefully a banana jack option meh )


I would love for someone to email & suggest this to J. Blacet... please report back with the reply hihi


I'm scared to do so based on what you were alluding to in a previous twitter post.
dude
one time i asked him about 1/4" jacks. i think his reply was one word: no. he has been a man of few words in the email exchanges i've had. metalbox is where it's at! and he even does 1/4" for weirdos like me.
DGTom
yeah, the impression I get is Mr. Blacet uses minijacks because he thinks they are best & he doesn't apprciate us kids questioning his design choices.

In one way I respect that... in another way...
Babaluma
John Blacet has never been anything except courteous, prompt, kind and generous in all my dealings with him. best customer service i have received in all the dealings i have had in synthdom!

wade goeke from chandler also offers service as good as this.
dude
Babaluma wrote:
John Blacet has never been anything except courteous, prompt, kind and generous in all my dealings with him. best customer service i have received in all the dealings i have had in synthdom!

wade goeke from chandler also offers service as good as this.


i have never dropped money with blacet though so i imagine paying customer versus some random person making design requests is a big difference. i don't mean to say that he is an asshole or has bad customer service, just that i have dealt with other designers/manufacturers and some are nice/open/flexible/accomodating regardless of cash and some i think need to be warmed up. i suppose there isn't anything wrong with that but it has led me to other places. and i am frankly pleased with my results. as i said before i like metalbox because of the flexibility/custom options and communication.
oozitron
Considering the amount of re-designing it would take to produce the Blacet line in 1/4" or banana, I think John would would need a huge amount of sales to just break even. Lots of the jacks are PCB mounted, and neither a 1/4" nor a banana would work there.

The large number of module manufacturers has definitely watered down the market. I would guess that demand has gone up somewhat, but supply has grown exponentially!

Personally, over the last 2-3 years I've been slowly selling off modules and replacing them with DIY. I am sticking with FRAC format and 1/8" connections because for me they are the perfect balance of cost and functionality. Bananas are cool, but normalled connections are even cooler smile

Drew
dude
in a beautiful place out in the country has some of the worlds best vocoder by the way.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
DUDE I JUST SCORED AN OAKLEY RING MOD FOR $48 ON EBAY!!!!!

fucking winnnnn!!!!
scozbor
except frac is SHIT and DEAD!
more like a lose for you lol
DGTom
Yeah, I've seen nothing but praise for the service from Blacet, which is one of the reasons I was so amazed at the response I got for an after sales service request. It was nothing major, but, I've no reason to make it up either seriously, i just don't get it

oozitron wrote:
Lots of the jacks are PCB mounted, and neither a 1/4" nor a banana would work there.


I've banana'd a Micro LFO... its doable, I'm sure the Window Comparator & Dual Linear VCA will present some unique challanges, but, nothing impossible. The most it would take for Blacet is a minor revision of some of the newer boards to include mounting holes so 'stooge bracket' type add ons could be used & price increase to cover extra wiring / switches etc.

Nothing huge.

oozitron wrote:
Bananas are cool, but normalled connections are even cooler


As a user of both... I disagree... this is totally subjective tho & I imagine normals in a DIY setting is a differant kettle of fish all together, when you are the person maing the choices about work-flow & behind the scense functionality. Each to their own of course & as always... YMMV
11ish
panda30y wrote:
goiks wrote:
11ish wrote:
Frac modules (at least the Blacet ones) tend to be rather deep. And large.


While deep and large can be desirable attributes in other contexts, they certainly hamper portability in this one, and are the main reason I chose to go Euro at a certain point. Still can't get rid of the Miniwave though. And even my 15v DIY has euro size faceplates now.


I certainly don't think the size is that big of an issue in terms of portability. It is certainly not approaching anywhere close to what a challenge a 5U system would present,


That's certainly right, and, to qualify my own statement from earlier, a lot of frac modules are packed with functionality. To recreate the functions of some of the blacet modules, adequate euro modules would take up more space horizontically.
DGTom
The Blacet PCBs may be big... but damn it makes it easier to cut the odd trace & add an extra resistor in here & there SlayerBadger!

Mr. Blacet may not like us altering his modules but he sure does make it nice & easy Mr. Green razz
e-grad
DGTom wrote:
Mr. Blacet may not like us altering his modules but he sure does make it nice & easy Mr. Green razz


I used to think that he's happy if his kits help to develop skills in electronics and to make use of it!
krelnarb
And another plus with Frac is you'll never have that little gap at the end of your rack when it doesn't add up to 84 HP.
emergencyofstate
I've got frac and euro hanging out together. everything is AOK.

i don't get the hating euro thing? really? hate?

it's a modular synth format.
wetterberg
BugBrand wrote:
DGTom wrote:
One thing is for sure; its a bad time to be selling frac modules...


I disagree..!
Do you have any for sale right now? razz
D/A A/D
As long as I get to fill my sole frac rack I will be happy. I got into frac for the MW, I like the idea of a all digital fraction rig.
Tubeampguy
[quote="Babaluma"]John Blacet has never been anything except courteous, prompt, kind and generous in all my dealings with him. best customer service i have received in all the dealings i have had in synthdom!

I completely agree! nanners Blacet It's peanut butter jelly time!
simfonik
[quote="Tubeampguy"]
Babaluma wrote:
John Blacet has never been anything except courteous, prompt, kind and generous in all my dealings with him. best customer service i have received in all the dealings i have had in synthdom!

I completely agree! nanners Blacet It's peanut butter jelly time!


8 years later hihi
ritchiedrums
It is foolish for Frac manufacturers to Not offer Bananas sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group