MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Y" cables for patching...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author "Y" cables for patching...
alternating.bit
After I posted one of my first modular vids I got this response:

kindredlost wrote:
You need a multiple next or buy some "Y" cables to route the EG to both filter and vca


I've never seen standard patch "Y" cables used in the 5U vids I've seen (unless I didn't notice) but for this "Y" cable do they need to be all mono or would the standard stereo split kind work (like below)?
I ask mainly because whenever I do a search for Y-cables all I get is the kind to adapt one size to another or a stereo split, etc...

kindredlost
Musician's Friend is a good place to look.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rapco-horizon-1ph-2ph-1-4-1 -4-y-cable

alternating.bit
PERFECT - thanks so much!
unrecordings
I'd go with Mults myself - they're much much more versatile
Even for the price of a couple of those cables, you could make your own Mults with a plastic project box and some jack sockets

Consider this - what happens when that LFO needs to go to three destinations ?
JohnLRice
I prefer mults to splitters but I'm not afraid to use both. thumbs up

There are 'Y' splitter you can get that are solid block things but I think the short cables one work better, especially for crowded panels:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP111-inch-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O53




I made this one myself and it was great but I sent it to another wiggler as an apology gift for sending his purchase so late. I never heard if he liked it . . . :
The Hamburglar
JohnLRice wrote:

There are 'Y' splitter you can get that are solid block things but I think the short cables one work better, especially for crowded panels:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP111-inch-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O53


I love these; they're a godsend for tight systems.
EATyourGUITAR
JohnLRice wrote:



guitar center owns Hosa so that is definitely on my boycott list. but more importantly, molded cables have a tendency to fail right in the middle of a recording session with friends. it really kills the mood. warranty or not, your there recording and you have to stop. think of a situation where you only own one insert cable because you only need one insert cable. this is why I only use cables I can repair now. takes less than 10 minutes to repair a cable.
ersatzplanet
I am a Euro guy but the solution I made to avoid buying stackables is just as useful to you 5U guys too. I made these:



Small size and east to use with the cords you have.
unrecordings
Would that be an Inline Mult sir ?

I get what EYG says - I make my own cables and looms - will only use Neutrik etc etc etc, yet for some reason i bought a big bunch of moulded cables for my modular. I think i decided to draw the line on soldering 100+ patch cables. In 15 years only one has failed, but it's still in the box somewhere - I think it's one of the blue ones - it keeps me on my toes :-)
ersatzplanet
unrecordings wrote:
Would that be an Inline Mult sir ?


Basically that is what it is - passive of course. They are super simple to make with Switchcraft Hi-D jacks.
Tronman


http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103712
Ockeghem
JohnLRice wrote:
I prefer mults to splitters but I'm not afraid to use both. thumbs up

There are 'Y' splitter you can get that are solid block things but I think the short cables one work better, especially for crowded panels:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP111-inch-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O53



I have used these.
JohnLRice wrote:

I made this one myself and it was great but I sent it to another wiggler as an apology gift for sending his purchase so late. I never heard if he liked it . . . :

I can confirm receipt of the splitter, and the Krisp1 module and other goodies/CDs you included with it! Though I confess I don't recall actually trying out the splitter just yet, it is on my New Years Resolutions List of Things To Do.
I haven't had much time with the modular in general, although I did get to take the Sputnik Box11 out for a demo session with the neighbors and their young son. They all seemed impressed, although after a while the boy asked, "But, can it make any OTHER sounds?" hihi And the grandmother asked, "Can you make music with that?" sad banana
doctorvague
Tronman wrote:


I use those a lot and like the idea. I wish someone would make some that weren't pieces of shit though. The pluses are you can mult 3 modules with 2 cords and you can daisy chain them across a wide expanse and go from module to module. Usually the only time I use a real mult is if I'm fanning out to 3 or 4 multiple destinations.
MindMachine
doctorvague wrote:
Tronman wrote:


I use those a lot and like the idea. I wish someone would make some that weren't pieces of shit though. The pluses are you can mult 3 modules with 2 cords and you can daisy chain them across a wide expanse and go from module to module. Usually the only time I use a real mult is if I'm fanning out to 3 or 4 multiple destinations.


These are what I use when in a pinch. Most are Radio Shack, which are superior to the cheaper ones I have bought from various on-line sources. Iuse rthe 1/8" versions for Euro too.

I also have some of the molded cable types that get used. It is nice to have options.

BTW - Radio Shack is clearing out most adapter plusgs at their sotres for new packaged models. Plug adapters that are usually $5-6 USD ea. are at .47 ea. to .97 ea. I had $20.oo worth of coupons from buying a cheap ass phone, so I cleared out 2 stores and got 24 adapters for free in essence. The sale might end tomorrow?
marfoski
doctorvague wrote:
Tronman wrote:


I use those a lot and like the idea. I wish someone would make some that weren't pieces of shit though. The pluses are you can mult 3 modules with 2 cords and you can daisy chain them across a wide expanse and go from module to module. Usually the only time I use a real mult is if I'm fanning out to 3 or 4 multiple destinations.


You can follow the quaint Trumansburg style :
"The Port-A-Pot and Move-A-Mult"
JohnLRice
marfoski wrote:
You can follow the quaint Trumansburg style :
"The Port-A-Pot and Move-A-Mult"

A while ago that picture inspired me to make this: thumbs up

doctorvague
Both good ideas, marfoski abd JLR.

MindMachine thanks for the tip - I'll hit Radio Shack up today.
alternating.bit
JohnLRice wrote:

A while ago that picture inspired me to make this: thumbs up



Dude, that is seriously beautiful! Is the control knob for volume level? If so, care to make/sell a few?? love
BudgetInfinity
Anyone sell something like this?
PrimateSynthesis
BudgetInfinity wrote:
Anyone sell something like this?


They sell switchable attenuators in XLR. Although, that's not the same thing. I remember another thread with JLR's knob jack that also discussed a 1/4" cable capacitance gizmo for guitar players. I think the idea was that one might be able to replace the capacitors with resistors to make voltage dividers seriously, i just don't get it

Anyway, it's easy enough to put a pot and a couple of jacks in a little container.
JohnLRice
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
I remember another thread with JLR's knob jack that also discussed a 1/4" cable capacitance gizmo for guitar players. I think the idea was that one might be able to replace the capacitors with resistors to make voltage dividers
Good memory! thumbs up The thing in question is the Neutrik NP2RX-TIMBRE TimbrePlug:
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/timbreplug/np2rx-timbr e

They are expensive, typically over $20 eek! , but I just noticed that MCM has them on sale for $12.74 (and cheap $3.99 shipping this weekend):
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NP2RX-TIMBRE

I don't know if it's possible to modify it into an attenuator or not but someday I might try to experiment with one? spinning
JohnLRice
There are high quality in-line attenuators like this Sescom SES-MKP-31 but at over $35 street price it might be cost prohibitive to buy more than 1 or 2? Plus it's advertised as a "audio volume" control so the pot taper will be better suited to audio and I don't know if they have DC blocking in the box or not.
http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=SES-MKP-31

MrNezumi
alternating.bit wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

A while ago that picture inspired me to make this: thumbs up



Dude, that is seriously beautiful! Is the control knob for volume level? If so, care to make/sell a few?? love


This looks quite interesting. How is the cable going into the pot side? Any pictures of where it goes in?
JohnLRice
MrNezumi wrote:
This looks quite interesting. How is the cable going into the pot side? Any pictures of where it goes in?
I drilled a hole in the side of the plug barrel. It is sort of a fragile implementation since the wire really needs to be secured better with epoxy, hot glue or a grommet/gland etc but it was just the first prototype. See the thread below for a side picture and maybe revive that thread for additional discussion so this one doesn't get derailed further! cool
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1034779#1034779
alternating.bit
JohnLRice wrote:
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
I remember another thread with JLR's knob jack that also discussed a 1/4" cable capacitance gizmo for guitar players. I think the idea was that one might be able to replace the capacitors with resistors to make voltage dividers
Good memory! thumbs up The thing in question is the Neutrik NP2RX-TIMBRE TimbrePlug:
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/timbreplug/np2rx-timbr e

They are expensive, typically over $20 eek! , but I just noticed that MCM has them on sale for $12.74 (and cheap $3.99 shipping this weekend):
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NP2RX-TIMBRE

I don't know if it's possible to modify it into an attenuator or not but someday I might try to experiment with one? spinning


80% of the time I use Dotcom mixers is to simply attenuate a signal, like noise for instance. This little gadget would come in handy for my portable rig.
But wait, you say it needs to be modified? My intent is to just bring the audio level low to zero... Would this not work for that?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group