Site Migration Completed

Important announcements about the forum and other Muffwiggler.com sites.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, UK

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by wiperactive » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Flatscan wrote:

> I believe the missing bookmarks have now been restored. Could anyone that had some
> bookmarks before confirm that they're back now?

Yep, all my bookmarks back in order and up to date, all several hundred of them!

Liking the look of the new format as well. Thanks again for doing all this in the middle of the festive season. Best wishes for 2020.

User avatar
wanne
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:16 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by wanne » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:22 pm

[quote=wiperactive post_id=3168445 time=1577218517 user_id=17197]
Flatscan wrote:

> I believe the missing bookmarks have now been restored. Could anyone that had some
> bookmarks before confirm that they're back now?

Yep, all my bookmarks back in order and up to date, all several hundred of them!

Liking the look of the new format as well. Thanks again for doing all this in the middle of the festive season. Best wishes for 2020.
[/quote]

yep but before there was a link to "my bookmarks" on the frontpage !?

User avatar
SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3404
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by SynthBaron » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Thank you very much.

User avatar
yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 am
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Just wanna chime in with thanks, as well. The new look is an adjustment, but also a fantastic benefit on mobile.

User avatar
col
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by col » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Well done with the upgrade! Can we have the cats photo back? :-)

User avatar
sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4427
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:40 pm
Location: Republic of Cascadia
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by sempervirent » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Huge thanks to @Flatscan for taking on the server migration, software upgrades, etc – great to see that the forum is back.

I switched to the "prosilver special edition" theme and still find it a bit jarring after 9+ years of staring at the old theme. I've been making CSS tweaks with a Chrome browser extension called Stylish, just one element at a time as I use various parts of the forum. If I end up with something worth sharing I might want to submit a custom minimal theme, would that be possible?

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Be Sandy? » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:40 pm

wanne wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:22 pm
...
yep but before there was a link to "my bookmarks" on the frontpage !?
Click your username at the top right of the page. This takes you to the user control panel which has all your bookmarks in it.

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Be Sandy? » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:20 pm

Rigo wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:09 pm
If people don't want it, you could move it to the bottom (where it was before). It seems it can't be minimised like the other categories,don't know how this was before.
Each user can move this section wherever they want it in their user control panel or choose to not see it at all.

- Click your username at the top right of the forum and go to the user control panel.
- Go to board preferences at the top and then edit display options on the left.
- At the bottom in the display recent topics section you can choose if you want to see these or not, where you wish it to be positioned on the front page of the forum and the number of recent topics you want to see.

I like the user control panel! It gives everyone lots more control over their own forum experience than we had in the old software. I'd highly recommend you all have a dig around in there and set things up as you personally like them.

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:27 pm

sempervirent wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:23 pm
Huge thanks to @Flatscan for taking on the server migration, software upgrades, etc – great to see that the forum is back.

I switched to the "prosilver special edition" theme and still find it a bit jarring after 9+ years of staring at the old theme. I've been making CSS tweaks with a Chrome browser extension called Stylish, just one element at a time as I use various parts of the forum. If I end up with something worth sharing I might want to submit a custom minimal theme, would that be possible?
For sure, especially if you can bundle it up into a standard Style package.

User avatar
lauprellim
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:31 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by lauprellim » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Thank you so much for your efforts! This is a great site, and the upgrade looks good.

User avatar
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:53 pm

Thank you, Rob, for taking the time and effort to do this.

rens
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:25 am
Location: London

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by rens » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks rob for taking this on! Merry christmas and happy new year.

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by danishchairs » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:55 am

Thank you to everyone involved with migrating and continuing to format the new site. It’s looking good and working well. Congratulations!

User avatar
a100user
All the gear, no idea!
Posts: 4038
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:39 am
Location: Southern England

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by a100user » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:15 am

Wells done and thank you for bringing a new lease of life to the site. Looks great.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Licudi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:50 am

Bookmarks back, thanks. Though a direct link rather than via control panel would be good.

Also is there anyway of bringing back boxed-in quotes for Firefox users? This thread shows highlighted quotes are working for some posters but not others. Is that browser related?

User avatar
Rigo
Chief Spam Killer
Posts: 2571
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 am

Be Sandy? wrote:
> [quote=Rigo post_id=3168443 time=1577218149 user_id=4046]
> If people don't want it, you could move it to the bottom (where it was
> before). It seems it can't be minimised like the other categories,don't
> know how this was before.
> [/quote]
>
> Each user can move this section wherever they want it in their user control
> panel or choose to not see it at all.
>
> - Click your username at the top right of the forum and go to the user
> control panel.
> - Go to board preferences at the top and then edit display options on the
> left.
> - At the bottom in the display recent topics section you can choose if you
> want to see these or not, where you wish it to be positioned on the front
> page of the forum and the number of recent topics you want to see.
>
> I like the user control panel! It gives everyone lots more control over
> their own forum experience than we had in the old software. I'd highly
> recommend you all have a dig around in there and set things up as you
> personally like them.

I think these preferences (the display recent topics section) are not for mere mortals, only for admins.
Somebody must have done something, because after I mentioned them being moved to the bottom they were moved. But I can't do that in the user control panel.

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Be Sandy? » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:56 am

Licudi wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:50 am
Bookmarks back, thanks. Though a direct link rather than via control panel would be good.

Also is there anyway of bringing back boxed-in quotes for Firefox users? This thread shows highlighted quotes are working for some posters but not others. Is that browser related?
It's only one extra click to access your bookmarks! With the new software there are inevitably going to be a few differences to how things used to be :)

I'm not sure what the quotes issue is - will do some digging to see if I can find out.

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:04 am

Licudi wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:50 am
Bookmarks back, thanks. Though a direct link rather than via control panel would be good.

Also is there anyway of bringing back boxed-in quotes for Firefox users? This thread shows highlighted quotes are working for some posters but not others. Is that browser related?
When a user posts, they need to have "Disable BBCode" NOT checked in order to post the quote in a box.

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:07 am

Rigo wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 am
I think these preferences (the display recent topics section) are not for mere mortals, only for admins.
Somebody must have done something, because after I mentioned them being moved to the bottom they were moved. But I can't do that in the user control panel.
I did set the default to show Recent Posts at the bottom, but all users should be able to set their own preference. See:
User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options -> Display Recent Topics

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Be Sandy? » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:12 am

Flatscan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:07 am
I did set the default to show Recent Posts at the bottom, but all users should be able to set their own preference. See:
User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options -> Display Recent Topics
I just tested it out using Rigo's permissions Rob and the display recent topics section isn't showing up in the user control panel. It's there for my permission level though.

User avatar
Rigo
Chief Spam Killer
Posts: 2571
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:20 am

Flatscan wrote:
> I did set the default to show Recent Posts at the bottom, but all users should be
> able to set their own preference. See:
> User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options -> Display
> Recent Topics

But I don't see "Display Recent Topics" ...

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:21 am

Try again. i just tweaked the Permissions for the registered users group

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Be Sandy? » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:23 am

Flatscan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:21 am
Try again. i just tweaked the Permissions for the registered users group
Looks like it's sorted now :)

User avatar
Rigo
Chief Spam Killer
Posts: 2571
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:24 am

Be Sandy? wrote:
> [quote=Flatscan post_id=3168634 time=1577262099 user_id=26279]
> Try again. i just tweaked the Permissions for the registered users group
> [/quote]
>
> Looks like it's sorted now :)

It is sorted :o)

User avatar
Juanv101
Common Wiggler
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Juanv101 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:37 am

Great job. Thank you, Rob.

Different interface. Needs to get used to it.
It’s awesome how many things have been improved in the last two days.
Trello is great idea, to follow-up progress

thanks again.

Post Reply

Return to “Announcements - Please read!”