Site Migration Completed

Important announcements about the forum and other Muffwiggler.com sites.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2381
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: usa

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by L.C.O. » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Just wanted to say that the new site looks so horrendous that it literally makes me not want to come back here. Ever, again.
I am not sure how it is possible: the old site looked antiquated, and it was harsh to visit it, but this one, inexplicably looks even older!...
Sorry to seem so critical.
But the feeling is real, and as someone who has stuck with this place for so many years, I feel a sense of obligation to communicate, what, I have a feeling, many are experiencing.

Esthetics are important.
User experience is important.

Something needs to be done about this.

Hoping for the best for the new year!
Much love (despite what seems like tough sentiment),
p.

GrayGoesBlack
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:43 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by GrayGoesBlack » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:28 pm

I'm not a frequent poster, but I just wanted to say good job on the migration and update! The mobile experience is so much better now, and it's good to know that someone is taking care of this forum. And doing all this in the festive season, well, hats off!

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:31 am

L.C.O. wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:10 pm
Just wanted to say that the new site looks so horrendous that it literally makes me not want to come back here. Ever, again.
I am not sure how it is possible: the old site looked antiquated, and it was harsh to visit it, but this one, inexplicably looks even older!...
Sorry to seem so critical.
But the feeling is real, and as someone who has stuck with this place for so many years, I feel a sense of obligation to communicate, what, I have a feeling, many are experiencing.

Esthetics are important.
User experience is important.

Something needs to be done about this.

Hoping for the best for the new year!
Much love (despite what seems like tough sentiment),
p.
Have you looked at the Special Edition or Dark themes?
There will be more themes / styles coming in the next week or two as well.

User avatar
naturligfunktion
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by naturligfunktion » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:16 am

Many thanks for this, and nice to meet you Rob!

Where are the smilies though?

Happy holidays to all wigglers out there

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Daisuk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:36 am

For what it's worth - I don't think the site is all that pretty either, but it doesn't have to be, in my opinion, it's functional. There are a lot of "prettier" forum types out there that aren't anywhere near as functional as this one, in my opinion.

User avatar
Umcorps
Will patch for food
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Currently unrecognisable

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Umcorps » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:38 am

Thanks for all the work in making this migration happen.

Small thing I know but is there any way to restore the default behaviour from the old site for opening links in a new tab?

At the moment unless I remember to use a modifier key, clicking on a link takes me off the site. Which is a nuisance. I have checked but can't find anything in the user control panel to change this.

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:48 am

Umcorps wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:38 am
Thanks for all the work in making this migration happen.

Small thing I know but is there any way to restore the default behaviour from the old site for opening links in a new tab?

At the moment unless I remember to use a modifier key, clicking on a link takes me off the site. Which is a nuisance. I have checked but can't find anything in the user control panel to change this.
That was on the to-do list, and I just enabled an extension that should do that now for all external links.

link test

There's also an "Extra Quick Links" menu on the nav bar that has a shortcut to Bookmarks. I can add in anything else here that may be useful.

User avatar
Umcorps
Will patch for food
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Currently unrecognisable

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Umcorps » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:51 am

Perfect! Thank you.

User avatar
Biom
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 am
Location: moskwa

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Biom » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:35 am

Anyone have problems with the "search" function?
It works, but it's nearly impossible to use it or is it just me?
Not a fan of the new look either

User avatar
bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by bedhed3000 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:07 pm

The only thing display-wise that I'd like to see changed right away is the site header. That huge-pixelated logo is just horrendous.
Make it smaller (like 1/2 the size) and center it like it was before. As far as the rest of the site goes, I think some of it is an improvement, and some if it is not, but it is getting better every day. I'm interested to see how this thing evolves in the next few weeks/months.

User avatar
Khyber Pass
The Tank Abbot of home recording
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 am
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Khyber Pass » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Thank you for putting the work in. This is a huge improvement.

User avatar
Prunesquallor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Prunesquallor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks for doing this, Rob! Much appreciated!

As mentioned before, I'd love it if you could bring back the viewing of all pages in a thread. This makes it so much easier for searching, or saving locally.

Thanks again!

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 am
Location: Bremen Germany

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Cortega » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:16 pm

L.C.O. wrote:
> Just wanted to say that the new site looks so horrendous that it literally
> makes me not want to come back here. Ever, again.
> I am not sure how it is possible: the old site looked antiquated, and it
> was harsh to visit it, but this one, inexplicably looks even older!...
> Sorry to seem so critical.
> But the feeling is real, and as someone who has stuck with this place for
> so many years, I feel a sense of obligation to communicate, what, I have a
> feeling, many are experiencing.
>
> Esthetics are important.
> User experience is important.
>
> Something needs to be done about this.


You are taking yourself way too seriously, every single post from you i remember, is about things like your user experiance...blablabla....your perfect World will not gonna happening


you
>
> Hoping for the best for the new year!
> Much love (despite what seems like tough sentiment),
> p.

User avatar
luchog
Crazy Pony
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: The Emerald City

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by luchog » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Not a huge fan of the appearance of the site, using any of the currently available themes (currently using Special). But I wasn't a big fan of the old site either; and this one has a lot more functionality, which is freakin' awesome.

My only significant complaint about the new site is the loss of my Bookmarks. I really want those back if at all possible; had a lot of really useful threads bookmarked so I wouldn't have to slog through pages of search results to find them every time.

User avatar
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design
Posts: 6250
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:30 pm

could it be possible to have an option to display the Avatars on the Left side of the post? Also an option to scale them a little? I prefer them on the left and a little bit smaller since they are often multiple sizes larger than the typical amount of text in the post. Just to cut down scrolling a little. The left side Avatar thing is just an esthetic thing but I usually like to see who posted before reading and being a western left-to-right reader makes my mind want to see them there.

Also, is there a way to edit post right after making them and seeing bad spelling errors and such?

User avatar
01235813
Common Wiggler
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 am

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by 01235813 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:38 pm

L.C.O. wrote:
> Just wanted to say that the new site looks so horrendous that it literally
> makes me not want to come back here. Ever, again.
> I am not sure how it is possible: the old site looked antiquated, and it
> was harsh to visit it, but this one, inexplicably looks even older!...
> Sorry to seem so critical.
> But the feeling is real, and as someone who has stuck with this place for
> so many years, I feel a sense of obligation to communicate, what, I have a
> feeling, many are experiencing.
>
> Esthetics are important.
> User experience is important.
>
> Something needs to be done about this.
>
> Hoping for the best for the new year!
> Much love (despite what seems like tough sentiment),
> p.

I feel a sense of obligation to communicate my thanks to the efforts all parties have invested into this very precious community. Concerning aesthetics, it's gonna be hard to please everyone.

What I'm missing in the above post is actual, constructive criticism. (Aside from calling it antiquated.) I personally don't mind the nostalgic feeling.. I much prefer this layout to gearslutz but again, this is a matter personal preference.

You say: "something needs to be done about this." How about gracefully adding what you think needs to be done about "this".

I think altogether there are some serious issues involved.. ownership, bills and maintenance. All variables considered (especially not seeing adds, popups and banners) I'm happy and slightly surprised Muffs is up and running. Not just up and running but faster than before and mobile is working like a charm.

I said it a few pages back and I'll say it again, thank you to all that keep this place alive and kicking. Thank you Rob for hauling this load.

merchant
Common Wiggler
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 2:49 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by merchant » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Excellent work, thanks Rob! Merry Xmas and Happy New Year from London :)

stalysla
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by stalysla » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks a lot Rob for all the hard work! With the dark theme and responsive ui, it's a lot easier now to navigate the forum on the phone. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2408
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Zymos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Would it be possible for the top level view of all the forums to show the date and poster of the most recent post, the same way that the individual forums do? This would be really useful (at least to me) for forums I have interest in but that don't get a lot of activity.

Thanks again for all the work already done!

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Licudi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:05 pm

luchog wrote:
> My only significant complaint about the new site is the loss of my
> Bookmarks. I really want those back if at all possible; had a lot of
> really useful threads bookmarked so I wouldn't have to slog through pages
> of search results to find them every time.

Click on the arrowhead after luchog (top right of header), then 'User control panel', then 'manage bookmarks'. Bit convuluted, but your bookmarks should all be there.

User avatar
Flatscan
The Caretaker
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Flatscan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Zymos wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 pm
Would it be possible for the top level view of all the forums to show the date and poster of the most recent post, the same way that the individual forums do? This would be really useful (at least to me) for forums I have interest in but that don't get a lot of activity.
There's a "Recent Forums" section on the bottom of the index page. It's configurable through the User Control Panel.
Licudi wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:05 pm
luchog wrote:
> My only significant complaint about the new site is the loss of my
> Bookmarks. I really want those back if at all possible; had a lot of
> really useful threads bookmarked so I wouldn't have to slog through pages
> of search results to find them every time.

Click on the arrowhead after luchog (top right of header), then 'User control panel', then 'manage bookmarks'. Bit convuluted, but your bookmarks should all be there.
That's now available through "Extra Quick Links" next to the search bar.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Licudi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Flatscan wrote:
> That's now available through "Extra Quick Links" next to the search bar.

Is that mods/admins only? I can't see it.

I still haven't got the hang of new fangled quoting either!

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Licudi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:14 pm

Whoops! I was looking at 'quicklinks' topleft not 'extra quick links' top right.

Be Sandy?
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:31 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:30 pm
could it be possible to have an option to display the Avatars on the Left side of the post? Also an option to scale them a little? I prefer them on the left and a little bit smaller since they are often multiple sizes larger than the typical amount of text in the post. Just to cut down scrolling a little. The left side Avatar thing is just an esthetic thing but I usually like to see who posted before reading and being a western left-to-right reader makes my mind want to see them there.

Also, is there a way to edit post right after making them and seeing bad spelling errors and such?
I already answered all these queries when you wrote them in a different thread!
viewtopic.php?p=3169127#p3169127

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2408
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by Zymos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Flatscan wrote:
> [quote=Zymos post_id=3169554 time=1577480083 user_id=24629]
> Would it be possible for the top level view of all the forums to show the date and
> poster of the most recent post, the same way that the individual forums do? This
> would be really useful (at least to me) for forums I have interest in but that don't
> get a lot of activity.
> [/quote]
>
> There's a "Recent Forums" section on the bottom of the index page. It's
> configurable through the User Control Panel.
>
> [quote=Licudi post_id=3169556 time=1577480732 user_id=28155]
> luchog wrote:
> > My only significant complaint about the new site is the loss of my
> > Bookmarks. I really want those back if at all possible; had a lot of
> > really useful threads bookmarked so I wouldn't have to slog through pages
> > of search results to find them every time.
>
> Click on the arrowhead after luchog (top right of header), then 'User control panel',
> then 'manage bookmarks'. Bit convuluted, but your bookmarks should all be there.
> [/quote]
>
> That's now available through "Extra Quick Links" next to the search bar.

Hmmm, couldn't find the setting- so does that show only the forums that have new posts since the last visit?

Post Reply

Return to “Announcements - Please read!”