Site Migration Completed

Important announcements about the forum and other Muffwiggler.com sites.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Site Migration Completed

Post by mskala » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:57 pm

I don't know if it's possible to do something about this, and it may depend on the browser, but for me in Firefox there's a massive FOUC ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_of_unstyled_content]"Flash Of Unstyled Content"[/url]) issue on every page since the change. I click a link, and for about two seconds I see a different layout, until the browser loads the stylesheet. It's especially noticeable now that I've selected a dark theme, because the flash is white-background and then it goes dark.

Fixing it might be as simple as configuring the Web server to put an expiry header on the stylesheet file, so the browser can cache it; but depending on how the server and phpBB are installed, that might be easy or it might be impossible. If phpBB generates stylesheets dynamically, it might not be that simple, but one thing to look at would be whether the page template can be adjusted to put the stylesheet links in the head above any Javascript that slows down page loading.

Be Sandy?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:01 pm

Folks,

Can I ask a favour?

Could we please slow down a bit on all the requests for a week or two? Let's give Rob a chance to catch up with what he's got going on already. He's been working like mad on this for a number of days, which I know we're all incredibly appreciative of. If something is broken then by all means let us know. But, if it's a request for an extra feature or forum view maybe just hold off for a bit please.

Let's get the fairly basic things nailed down before worrying too much about the bells and whistles. I know the forum banner isn't the best at the moment for example but we can do a new one in time. Where at all possible we want to give users the option to control their own experience here themselves. Much better than us just making a decision that affects everyone globally. But, this can take a little longer to do and isn't always possible which does mean that some of your personal wishes and requests may not happen. With over 40,000 members it's going to be impossible to please everyone.

It's inevitable with any change that new layouts and ways of doing things are going to feel odd until we get used to them. I know it's been a learning experience for all the admin/moderator team as we get used to doing things differently behind the scenes. Some things we can bring over from the previous iteration, some things are inevitably not going to be possible in the same way.

The important thing is that we're on a modern, more secure, mobile friendlier platform which will see the forum continue on a much more stable footing than the ancient software it was previously using. What better way to honour the memory of Mike.

If you wish to discuss any of this further please feel free to PM me and we can chat.

Thanks to all of you for the understanding you have shown, and I know will continue to show, during the changes here.

Sandy

Be Sandy?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Zymos wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm
Flatscan wrote:
>
Zymos wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 pm
> Would it be possible for the top level view of all the forums to show the date and
> poster of the most recent post, the same way that the individual forums do? This
> would be really useful (at least to me) for forums I have interest in but that don't
> get a lot of activity.
>
Hmmm, couldn't find the setting- so does that show only the forums that have new posts since the last visit?
It's the same as the last 20 posts list that used to be at the bottom of the page on the old forum software.

You can find the settings here:

- Click your username at the top right of the forum and go to the user control panel.
- Go to board preferences at the top and then edit display options on the left.
- At the bottom in the display recent topics section you can choose if you want to see these or not, where you wish it to be positioned on the front page of the forum and the number of recent topics you want to see.

The other alternative is to click quick links at the top left of the forum and then click new posts.

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Just want to chime in and say thanks for keeping it going, Rob.
Maybe not the coolest looking site, but at least there are still zero ads, plus it’s become much easier to read on my phone.
Now we just need more cats!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Be Sandy? wrote:
> [quote=Zymos post_id=3169584 time=1577483802 user_id=24629]
> Flatscan wrote:
> > [quote=Zymos post_id=3169554 time=1577480083 user_id=24629]
> > Would it be possible for the top level view of all the forums to show the date
> and
> > poster of the most recent post, the same way that the individual forums do? This
> > would be really useful (at least to me) for forums I have interest in but that
> don't
> > get a lot of activity.
> > [/quote]
> Hmmm, couldn't find the setting- so does that show only the forums that have new
> posts since the last visit?
> [/quote]
>
> It's the same as the last 20 posts list that used to be at the bottom of the page on
> the old forum software.
>
> You can find the settings here:
>
> - Click your username at the top right of the forum and go to the user control panel.
> - Go to board preferences at the top and then edit display options on the left.
> - At the bottom in the display recent topics section you can choose if you want to
> see these or not, where you wish it to be positioned on the front page of the forum
> and the number of recent topics you want to see.
>
> The other alternative is to click quick links at the top left of the forum and then
> click new posts.

Thanks anyway, that's really what I'm asking about. No big deal though....

evil primeval
Learning to Wiggle

Post by evil primeval » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Not a request but a strong suggestion to look at your PHP config: the session ID is showing up in the URL, which is a gaping security hole for users who copy+ paste links.

Nice work getting the forum ported!

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:04 pm

mskala wrote:
> I don't know if it's possible to do something about this, and it may depend
> on the browser, but for me in Firefox there's a massive FOUC
> ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_of_unstyled_content]"Flash
> Of Unstyled Content"[/url]) issue on every page since the change. I
> click a link, and for about two seconds I see a different layout, until the
> browser loads the stylesheet. It's especially noticeable now that I've
> selected a dark theme, because the flash is white-background and then it
> goes dark.

Interesting... I'm not seeing this. MW pages are loading fast for me. And I know exactly what you're talking about, as I've seen it on other sites. I have a slow (approx 2 Mbps) DSL connection which I often blame on it, but more likely it's the server being slow to serve the CSS files. Looks like MW has a ton of CSS files. Perhaps some merging and minification would help so fewer files are involved. Might also help to serve the CSS from the CDN. I suspect there's a lot of optimization yet to be done.

Rob, keep up the good work! And don't forget to take a break now and then! 🍺

Flatscan
The Caretaker

Post by Flatscan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:58 pm

evil primeval wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 pm
Not a request but a strong suggestion to look at your PHP config: the session ID is showing up in the URL, which is a gaping security hole for users who copy+ paste links.

Nice work getting the forum ported!
What pages are you getting this on?
Are you using HTTPS? www subdomain?

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:12 am

morgulbee wrote:
> mskala wrote:
> > I don't know if it's possible to do something about this, and it may depend
> > on the browser, but for me in Firefox there's a massive FOUC
> > ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_of_unstyled_content]"Flash
> > Of Unstyled Content"[/url]) issue on every page since the change. I
> > click a link, and for about two seconds I see a different layout, until the
> > browser loads the stylesheet. It's especially noticeable now that I've
> > selected a dark theme, because the flash is white-background and then it
> > goes dark.
>
> Interesting... I'm not seeing this. MW pages are loading fast for me. And I know
> exactly what you're talking about, as I've seen it on other sites. I have a slow
> (approx 2 Mbps) DSL connection which I often blame on it, but more likely it's the
> server being slow to serve the CSS files. Looks like MW has a ton of CSS files.
> Perhaps some merging and minification would help so fewer files are involved. Might
> also help to serve the CSS from the CDN. I suspect there's a lot of optimization yet
> to be done.
>
> Rob, keep up the good work! And don't forget to take a break now and then! 🍺

for the whole amount of time that the new site is on I did not get this FOUC thing.
Suddenly today I got it too.
Firefox user btw.
Perhaps something to be added to the trello board and to be investigated.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Licudi wrote:
> luchog wrote:
> > My only significant complaint about the new site is the loss of my
> > Bookmarks. I really want those back if at all possible; had a lot of
> > really useful threads bookmarked so I wouldn't have to slog through pages
> > of search results to find them every time.
>
> Click on the arrowhead after luchog (top right of header), then 'User control panel',
> then 'manage bookmarks'. Bit convuluted, but your bookmarks should all be there.

I checked that first thing after the migration and didn't see them; but it looks like they're there now. Freakin' awesome! Really like the way the new site is shaping up despite some minor quibbles with the style..

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:45 pm

luchog wrote:

> I checked that first thing after the migration and didn't see them; but it looks like
> they're there now. Freakin' awesome! Really like the way the new site is shaping up
> despite some minor quibbles with the style..

My post was overtaken by events but that's good news. Now you just click on Extra Quick links to the right of the search window.

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Has the font size been set one size smaller in the last few hours?
It's too small on desktop!

sixty_n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixty_n » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks Rob, looking good

jochem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jochem » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:16 am

I like the current design, it is easy to navigate.
The forum is very quick now (desktop and firefox).

Thanks for the effort guys!

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:40 am

Thanks again, Rob and Mods!

A few broken things I have noticed, hope it's alright to post this list:

- Quotes not working properly in this sub-forum? (see drip.feed quote below. BTW, drip.feed, we can now "Search this topic", which might be the solution you're after)

+++
drip.feed wrote:
> ... show all posts on a single page. ... search the entire topic ...
+++

- Posting a reply in this sub-forum via a quote has smilies disabled and I can't format text, e.g. put drip.feed's quote in bold or italics. No biggie, but just noticed.

- 'View posts since last visit' isn't totally replicated by 'View new posts', which shows all new posts since 'yesterday', I think. Is there a way to set the 'since' value? I tried to jiggle it in my user control panel using the given options, but those just hide/reveal unread posts/topics.

- the 'ignore user' function/list seems to be missing. Can it be reinstated?

- Hide Avatar seems to be only globally switchable now. Is it possible to re-instate it on a per-avatar basis?

- the 'is banned' avatar is missing

- the favicon is gone

Cheers!

Navs

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:34 am

Navs wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:40 am
The Ignore user function is now part of the Friend/Foe system of the forum. I'll try to create a thread about it tomorrow and how it functions.

In short you can go to someone's profile, or manage name lists in your user control panel, marking names either two ways;

mark users as Friends:
Friends enable you quick access to members you communicate with frequently. If the template has relevant support any posts made by a friend may be highlighted.
or Foes:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
I'm not really a fan of the term 'Foe', but for now it is the new form of Ignore.

I'll make a sticky soon.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:13 pm

The new site header image is much better. A couple things:

There is a small (maybe 2px) vertical white border on the right side of the image. This is very apparent when in dark mode.

The "muff wiggler" text is still very pixellated. It looks like the image is being stretched via css. I bet the theme you are using does this automatically so that whatever image you put in gets stretched to the full width of the site container. You want to start with a 1500px image. Honestly the pixelation is not a huge deal, but you should definitely get rid of that white vertical line.

jompy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jompy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm more of a browser than a poster on here tapping into the depth of knowledge and I was a bit thrown by the new style for a few seconds but I like it.
Cheers.

aroom
Veteran Wiggler

Post by aroom » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:01 pm

another great feature missing is the ability to hide the signature of an user.

this was really great to remove all those non solicited soundcloud track embedded in signature.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 pm

logged in today, site looks fantastic, thanks for the effort!

especially the new banner at the top, the old white one was pretty glaring

jochem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jochem » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:21 am

Not sure if this is on the list yet, but the current board seems to be open to spammers getting an account and posting spam on several forums. I'm noticing it on the new posts section on the forum index.

jochem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jochem » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 am

latest spam account is this: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=55065
(sorry, i couldn't see edit function)

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:22 am

Please use this thread for reporting spam. We’ve been tightening things down and will implement something to thwart them upon registration.

Flatscan
The Caretaker

Post by Flatscan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Navs wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:40 am
- Quotes not working properly in this sub-forum? (see drip.feed quote below. BTW, drip.feed, we can now "Search this topic", which might be the solution you're after)

+++
drip.feed wrote:
> ... show all posts on a single page. ... search the entire topic ...
+++

- Posting a reply in this sub-forum via a quote has smilies disabled and I can't format text, e.g. put drip.feed's quote in bold or italics. No biggie, but just noticed.

- 'View posts since last visit' isn't totally replicated by 'View new posts', which shows all new posts since 'yesterday', I think. Is there a way to set the 'since' value? I tried to jiggle it in my user control panel using the given options, but those just hide/reveal unread posts/topics.

- Hide Avatar seems to be only globally switchable now. Is it possible to re-instate it on a per-avatar basis?

- the 'is banned' avatar is missing

- the favicon is gone

Cheers!

Navs
* When posting please check that "Disable BBCode" and "Disable smilies" options are not checked. These will break quoting and, obviously, smilies.

* I'll look into a "view new posts for x days" or "View posts since last visit" option

* See Joe's post on the friend/foe system for Ignores.

* I'll look into a per-user/avatar hide setting

* I'll look into the Banned avatar

* Favico is working for me (Windows, Firefox). Anyone else not seeing it?

aroom
Veteran Wiggler

Post by aroom » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:37 pm

favicon working here on safari

Return to “Announcements - Please read!”