lotsa little refinements

Important announcements about the forum and other Muffwiggler.com sites.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun May 31, 2009 10:15 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:i know, seriously, like i said, i *will* get around to fixing this

but, it's not as simple as one would think it is

it's probably going to be a couple of days before I get a chance to fix it, because fixing that causes a bit of a chain reaction I need to work backwards through updating stuff to prevent any issues

but, I'm very aware that lots of people are unhappy about this problem and I promise you I will get it fixed

for real

thanks
I totally understand. At work my end users say "why can't you just make it do [this]? all my other Microsoft programs do!" :roll: Well, many simple things become extremely difficult very fast when you try to implement them! :bang:

I was only bugging you a bit because the last thing I read was that you were NOT going to do it ever . . or something to that effect. It really doesn't bother me tons or anything.

The main thing that bugs me about this forum is that you work so hard and we can't reward your very appreciated efforts! :hail: But, I know you said that would never change! :mrgreen:

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun May 31, 2009 10:20 pm

JohnLRice wrote:I was only bugging you a bit because the last thing I read was that you were NOT going to do it ever . . or something to that effect.

i'm confused because I've promised about six times that I would do it :help:

:guinness:

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun May 31, 2009 10:21 pm

JohnLRice wrote:The main thing that bugs me about this forum is that you work so hard and we can't reward your very appreciated efforts! :hail: But, I know you said that would never change! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

you can send me modules if you want :love:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun May 31, 2009 10:33 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:I was only bugging you a bit because the last thing I read was that you were NOT going to do it ever . . or something to that effect.
i'm confused because I've promised about six times that I would do it :help:
:guinness:
Maybe i misunderstood or missed the other posts but in this thread you said:
viewtopic.php?p=68540#68540

-For the "latest posts link goes to latest unread post", sorry, it's not gonna happen, so I pulled it from the to-do list. I *can* make it happen, BUT.....the only way I can do it will create shitloads of load on my database, including a bunch of extra tables that will fill up with junk and need to be purged....bah, it's not worth it. The 'view latest post' link works well enough as it is. sorry if you were holding out for this one.

Hhhhhmmmmmmm . . .now that I post this "proof" I'm thinking you were talking about a different feature, never mind! :doh:

So, what module(s) do you want / need? :party:

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun May 31, 2009 10:37 pm

hehe yes it was a different feature :oops:

sorry for the confusion! :goo:

i *promise* to get to fixing the email notification link - just need a couple days probably!

i need some Wiard 300 modules, perhaps you can take up a little collection on my behalf :hihi: looking to 'finish off' my system

need a classic vco, a sequantizer, a mixolator and a 19" controller

i realize this is pretty rich so don't beat yourself up because i sure as hell wouldn't want anyone to buy me one of those out of their own pocket just because I give you a forum :guinness: buy yourself something nice and say you're doing it for me :love:

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Sun May 31, 2009 11:03 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:Warning - it may crash your shitty browser.
:lolhammer:

classic!
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun May 31, 2009 11:31 pm

this doesn't really count but i guess i'll mention it anyway just in case anyone worries about this sorta stuff

i've always had a pretty anal-retentitve approach to backing stuff up

but i've just put some steps in place to make it even better, as good as anyone can need. Thanks sandyb for helping with this to create a second 'offsite' backup

Basically, the core webcode - all the 'static stuff' is kept at my ISP, and then copies on two different external disks here at my house, plus two more external discs over at sandyb's place in Ireland.

Then there's two sets of dynamic stuff: The forum database, which is what is updated when people register, post, send PMs, etc. And then there's the user-uploaded stuff: all your forum attachments, avatars and uploaded images.

The database is completely backed up twice a week, and kept on two different external drives at my place. Once a week Sandy gets a copy of the latest backup as well.

For the user-uploads, I back that stuff up once a week. Sandy doesn't take a copy of that, since it's currently over 2gb and constantly growing. I just do an incremental backup of that stuff so it doesn't take me much time.

So, what does this all mean?

In the *worst case scenerio* disaster, where my webhost loses EVERYTHING (they keep backups as well), I can get the forum code back up and running in minutes. I can then restore the database to the state that it was in no more than 4 days previous (probably less), and finally can get the user-uploaded content restored to the state that it was in no more than 7 days previous (probably less).

Even if I'm in the middle of travelling, I can get the code from Sandy and restore things without having to make everyone wait 'till I get home.

The only exception - there's a very small, but theoretical, chance that we could lose all user attachments: If my web host happens to puke everything, *and* at the same time, my home burns down OR both of my external drives fail at the same time.... in this very very unlikely case, sorry everyone, you're uploaded content is gone.

Anyway, I am very happy and confident in this plan, and no-one needs to worry that this great forum will get somehow knocked out of existance. The way I have it all backed up I could even move it all to a different webhost if I needed to - it's all failsafe, and I have scripted incremental update and scripted restore procedures to make it all quick and painless when I need to do it.

Anyway, just in case anyone was worried about the disaster-recoverability of this place. I backup *everything*. A lot.

cheers

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun May 31, 2009 11:48 pm

ok, everything that's been done has been consolidated into the first post of this thread.

i'm done modding stuff for now, have to get back to my day job now that the weekend is over!

still plan to get that email notification problem fixed (links you to the first post rather than the last one), and also try to get the 'view random topic' feature to work, but I'm close to giving up on that one. In both cases though it will be a couple of days 'till I can get back to it though

I'll come and address the requests for new subforums within the next few days.

thanks everyone.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 am

cheers! :party: :guinness:
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:32 pm

-general performance enhancements across the whole system completed

mmetlay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmetlay » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:01 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:-general performance enhancements across the whole system completed
I continue to be more and more impressed with every visit, Muff. Thanks for the hard work you do on our behalf. :mrgreen:

mike
metlay!
Learn about me, listen for free -- or -- Read PR cheese, buy my CDs
I also DJ on StillStream... come visit!

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:04 pm

collapsable forum index remembers your settings!

Doug Wellington
Common Wiggler

Post by Doug Wellington » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:15 am

Did something change about what happens when you mark all posts read? When I mark things read, but don't click on the main forum link fast enough, it redirects me back to the section of the forum that I just marked read. I thought there used to be a different dialog box and that it redirected to the main forum page. Am I just showing my age? :help:

P.S. I sent you a PM muff, but it's still in my outbox - did it show in your inbox?
Eat better, get some exercise, take care of yourself - trust me on this.

http://www.analognotes.com
http://www.midiboxaddict.com
http://www.eight-oh-eight.org

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 am

i just checked - because I didn't make any changes to 'mark all posts read' (other than putting the link at the bottom of every page)

It still does exactly what it always did - redirects you to the main forum index. That index *may* appear a bit different to you now, as it's collapsable, and will be in whatever the most recent 'collapsed' view you were using was

about the PMs - yes, I got yours, read the content on the notification email but haven't actually opened it in the forum....that's why it's in Outbox, it stays there 'till I actually 'read' (as in, open it in the forum) the message

sorry I haven't replied yet, I'm crazy busy and it's back to the work week, but I will get back to you soon

Doug Wellington
Common Wiggler

Post by Doug Wellington » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

Muff Wiggler wrote:It still does exactly what it always did - redirects you to the main forum index.
Hmmm... I just gave it a try again. I'm using the "Mark all topics read" link at the top right, just under the search box. When I click that, I get the screen that says all topics have been marked read, then it goes right back to the same subforum.

I was a little hesitant to click on the "Mark all forums read" link at the bottom of the page, since I only wanted to mark the topics in the current forum section, not all forums...
sorry I haven't replied yet, I'm crazy busy and it's back to the work week, but I will get back to you soon
Just wondering if I'm supposed to take a hint... :doh:

Thanks...
Eat better, get some exercise, take care of yourself - trust me on this.

http://www.analognotes.com
http://www.midiboxaddict.com
http://www.eight-oh-eight.org

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 am

ah sorry, I was looking at the bottom link

you are right - it takes you to the index of the subforum you marked as read....

...this makes sense to me. I can't say if it used to behave differently, but I didn't make any changes to it!

cheers

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:52 pm

upload picture now available on quick reply form!! woo!!

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:36 pm

you can now choose "View your watched posts" from the handy links in the upper-right of the main index page

handy if you want to un-watch posts, etc.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:19 pm

number of group members now shown in usergroup overview pages

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:34 pm

user's avatar image in viewtopic threadview is now a link to their profile

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:07 am

You can now choose to hide/show Avatar images and Signature text on a per-user basis.

How to:

Find a user who has an avatar and/or a signature text that you no longer want to see.

Locate one of their posts in a thread.

At the bottom of their post, beside the "Profile", "PM" and "Email" buttons, is a new button, with a mouse-over text that reads "Hide this user's Avatar and Signature".

Click it.

Done.

You can click it again (it will change color for users that you are hiding the Avatar and Signature) to restore the stuff.

Have fun.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Usergroups are now "truly" open - no need for a moderator to approve your membership, simply click to join!

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 pm

you can now send a message to ALL members of a usergroup. Go to your PM's Inbox, beside the "Post Message" button is a new button for "Post PM to usergroup members". Press it, choose the usergroup, type your message and press send - they will all get it!

Return to “Announcements - Please read!”