Do you use email notifications for 'watched' threads?

Important announcements about the forum and other Muffwiggler.com sites.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Set a bookmark automatically when posting: Yes

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:20 am

I also have this set, but it's not working:

Set a bookmark automatically when posting: Yes

- I posted in a thread yesterday, and it didn't appear in my list of bookmarks. I wouldn't have known I'd had a reply, if I hadn't gone and looked at that page.

That really isn't good.

So, unless I remember to bookmark threads manually, there's no way I can keep track of replies in the forum, even by looking at my Bookmarks list...

I'm now wondering what other replies I missed, and how many people just think I'm an ignorant ^&%& who never acknowledges their replies.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:38 am

"View post since last visit"
Top right of the forum landing screen (just under the MW logo) is your friend.

As long as you're logged in..

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Could "View all your own posts" appear on every fo

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks, Umcorps.... but isn't that all posts by anyone on any topic, since my last visit?

I don't normally see that page - in fact I'm not sure I ever have. I normally end up on a page that doesn't have that link.

I've just been googling myself (ooh, err, etc) to try to find threads I posted in that don't have bookmarks set - a lot of them, as it turns out. I see there's a link there for "View all your own posts", so I'll try that instead.

I realise there's not much chance of improvements being made to the forum engine, but this does seem like a critical one. The life of a forum is largely about people seeing each other's replies, and responding to them. That's kind of broken, at the moment.

I'd actually been looking for something like the "View all your own posts", but never saw one, so thanks for the suggestion, which lead me to it.

This helps me, but it would help other apprentice wigglers a lot more if automatic notifications and bookmarks just worked, or failing that, if that "View all your own posts" could be placed on every forum page, so people saw it.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Re: Could "View all your own posts" appear on ever

Post by Umcorps » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:01 am

AndyHornBlower wrote:Thanks, Umcorps.... but isn't that all posts by anyone on any topic, since my last visit?
Yes it is. But I find it handy to use as a quick overview of recent activity - as long as I've not been away for any length of time. After a few days its just too long a list for me to bother with.

Email notifications on my posts have been coming through fine (hence this reply!) so the system is working ok at some level for some users. Not sure what is going wrong with yours :despair:

My minor if long-standing bugbear about notifications is that when you make a new post of your own you won't ever get any notifications of responses unless you remember to opt into them by clicking for "follow this post" link. Never understood why that wasn't done automatically.

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:51 pm

I've had some notifications today, but I get long dry spells. I tend to assume that means there aren't any updates, but apparently that's often not the case.

I notice most forums have the option to turn on reply notifications, rather than doing it by default - which strikes me as the wrong way of doing things because it leaves new members thinking they're not getting any replies.

The automatic bookmarking thing ought to cover cases where you start a new thread, but maybe that just doesn't work at all, for anyone?

Return to “Announcements - Please read!”