Notation and Timing

Mostly Modular Flying

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Notation and Timing

Post by tau_seti » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Do any of you have ideas about notation or other means of timing for your drones? Or do you just play by feel?

thelowerrhythm
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Notation and Timing

Post by thelowerrhythm » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 pm

This is a really good topic to explore. For some of my work I play by feel (or record by feel, I should say). But for other projects I'll just set time limits and record everything at the same length. Working on a collection of 3 minute drones based on this 84hp drone machine I built. Never really thought of it beyond that, but I'd like to.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:58 pm

If it's a long like 10 minutes + drone, I will usually rehearse it and figure out the timings of things to play manually. It might be a sheet of paper with a few key points like: "7:00-7:40: VCM CV 10:00-12:00" or relative things that just tell me the duration "cycle SSG / RATE full clockwise (2 minutes)"

I use my phone stopwatch as a "metronome" :tu:

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09 am

tau_seti wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 pm
Do any of you have ideas about notation or other means of timing for your drones? Or do you just play by feel?
How do you mean notation?

I certainly time my drones. A large part of my purpose is accompaniment for my theremin. I use R2R tape loops (working on making that work in an 8 track cassette!) along with stuff I play by feel (although I have a good idea of what I want and how to get it)

But because I actually want it to be a *composition,* I use some pretty strict timing. The thing I'm working on now is 5:40, timed by a 20 second tape loop that runs 17 times (I have a DIY loop counter for the R2R) I'm working on automating the mixer a bit, so that I can have a crescendo at the 4 minute mark for the theremin high notes.

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about? I have also used visual timing with blinkenlight or timers, but I tend to get too caught up in precision when I'm using my eyes. I prefer the beats in the loop to a metronome for directing my manual drones.
----------------------

Flounderguts

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:15 am

A lot of the time, it's just a matter of setting things up and then hitting record for me. I suppose a lot of people would consider this lazy, or not to make for very engaging listening. Your mileage may vary. I guess I can only try to validate this by saying I'm more concerned with hitting the right mood/atmosphere of a place or a state of mind than anything, and that it really is more about the destination than the journey for me.

If I do make any kind of adjustments, they are based only on intuition. There's generally never any sort of notation or rehearsal with anything I do in terms of abstract ambient, drone, noise, etc., but I do try to time things in accordance with the underlying (or perceived) pulse of the thing. I suppose the main exception to this rule is if I decide I want to fade in/fade out anything in the mix, or the entire mix. Usually, though, even this is decided on the fly, if/when feels appropriate. But I might rehearse the sweep, degree or pace of the adjustment beforehand.
useless

KL1982
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KL1982 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 pm

tau_seti wrote:
Do any of you have ideas about notation or other means of timing for your drones?
I personally determine scoring on the premise of:

1) Whether I am scoring after the fact, and want a score to err towards metaphorical representation (i.e potentially a graphical score), or
2) Whether I am scoring (either after or before) for the purposes of allowing others to accurately (re)create a performance i.e a literal/formal representation (or rather, as literal as a score can/could be).

Ultimately, as long as the processes/symbols are understood by the intended audience (which may only ever be yourself), they are perfectly valid- and if the intention is an expressive score, anything goes (including non-understanding).

See here RE something that may be of interest - https://www.classicfm.com/discover-musi ... -pictures/

Unsure if Schnee's Chollobhat is authentic, or a Make Noise schematic.

Graphical scores could be more fun as initial experimentation - and could be a good way of developing a unique musical identity (beyond the strictly sonic world).

PS graphical scores before the fact are also fun i.e you could create a graphical score, then an album consisting of various realisations of this score. This could in fact be a good concept for a collaborative drone album (including commissioning an artist to create the graphical score that the artists work from)

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 am

KL1982 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 pm
tau_seti wrote:
Do any of you have ideas about notation or other means of timing for your drones?
I personally determine scoring on the premise of:

1) Whether I am scoring after the fact, and want a score to err towards metaphorical representation (i.e potentially a graphical score), or
2) Whether I am scoring (either after or before) for the purposes of allowing others to accurately (re)create a performance i.e a literal/formal representation (or rather, as literal as a score can/could be).

Ultimately, as long as the processes/symbols are understood by the intended audience (which may only ever be yourself), they are perfectly valid- and if the intention is an expressive score, anything goes (including non-understanding).

See here RE something that may be of interest - https://www.classicfm.com/discover-musi ... -pictures/

Unsure if Schnee's Chollobhat is authentic, or a Make Noise schematic.

Graphical scores could be more fun as initial experimentation - and could be a good way of developing a unique musical identity (beyond the strictly sonic world).

PS graphical scores before the fact are also fun i.e you could create a graphical score, then an album consisting of various realisations of this score. This could in fact be a good concept for a collaborative drone album (including commissioning an artist to create the graphical score that the artists work from)
That Link about the graphicalnotation was very interesting. Thank you

KL1982
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KL1982 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 pm

tau_seti wrote:
This may be of interest to you -

Part 2 -

studio460
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:09 am

If I ever get off my butt and shoot something with my digital-cine rig, I will "time to picture" only (i.e., sound-effects/soundtracks). Nothing I'm doing is synced. No quantizers or sequencers. No time-signatures either. It's all "feel."

Return to “Synth Drone”