RK3 and RK4

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Yes Powder wrote:Back with a couple more demos, showing its use as a waveshaper. These are both taken from unfinished songs on my hard drive. The first one is just the track soloed, and the second one also includes another bass part and percussion. No reason why; just felt like doing it that way.

Triangle Wave through VCA into R53
This is a sample from a track of a song that's mostly finished. The patch is very simple: just a triangle wave into a VCA with a slow decay, being fed into the R53 audio input. The pulser is tuned to a point just before the high end of self-oscillation, and I think the Ringmod Carrier Input Level knob is at about 4:30. I would really recommend looking at this through a scope if you can, to get a better idea of what it's doing.

R55>RK6>R53 (plus other tracks)
This example uses the pulser tuned to the low range before self-oscillation, once again using the Ringmod Carrier Input Level knob to tune in the spikiness. Instead of gating the oscillator with a VCA, this time it's being gated by an RK3 set to just a little bit of resonance. Some nice, septic wubby sounds here.

I've always wondered why the manuals make no mention of the fact that the Carrier Input knobs affect the pulser quality even when nothing is plugged into the Carrier In. To me it's a really important feature of controlling the module, and I wonder how many people simply don't know that it does something like that. I've also wondered what exactly it's doing, since so far I haven't been able to replicate it through patching.
First link is broken.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Working for me :despair:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 am

I checked my disc for recordings since I got the RK3 and there's only really one where the RK3 is prominent:

https://we.tl/t-3pwkuvQJVC

A sequence from the Make Noise 0-coast was fed into the RK3 for grit and then passed through the R56 for heavy reverb. After a while I pushed forth the dry signal and added a beat.

Note that it's an untreated patch recording so it doesn't sound great but it gives a sense of the grit that RK3 can add.
Yes Powder wrote:Working for me :despair:
Doesn't work for me. It says that there is no such track.
Very nice! Sounds both nice and cool.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 am

electricanada wrote:First link is broken.
Try it now
lisa wrote:https://we.tl/t-3pwkuvQJVC

A sequence from the Make Noise 0-coast was fed into the RK3 for grit and then passed through the R56 for heavy reverb. After a while I pushed forth the dry signal and added a beat.
Cool stuff :tu: Adds some nice grit
Last edited by Yes Powder on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:38 am

Yes Powder wrote:Back with a couple more demos
Rad sounds man!

:mrgreen:
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, New Releases on EPTC, Spring/Summer 2020:
"This is the TRUTH!": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-the-truth
"A Portable Paul Krassner": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/paul-krassner

This week's show is a tribute to David Wojnarowicz:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 am

Yes Powder wrote:
electricanada wrote:First link is broken.
Try it now

Still not found.

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:58 am

electricanada wrote:Still not found.
Try it one more time. It's working for me on my work computer now. If it breaks again, I give up.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Worked just now—my life is complete!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:47 am

https://we.tl/t-fZt1ab8l90

Another very much unfinished track. First you hear a rather clean sawtooth arpeggio through the R56. Then the RK3 adds a different tone to it (making the whole patch rather dissonant when the bassline comes in.. but what the hey).
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm

you do great work and should be more famous....

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:04 am

metasonix wrote:
you do great work and should be more famous....
Thanks! You are way too kind but I’ll takes it as I gets it. :banana:

Very amusing to me that I’ve shunned Metasonix gear for many years (long before I got into eurorack) and it turns out that I was wrong in my assumptions all along. It has loads of (deranged) personality but can sound cordial too. That range makes it really interesting and pleasing to work with.
Last edited by lisa on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:44 am

Made some softcore industrial ambient by sending the SSF Entity Percussion and the ALM MCO to the RK3 and patching the result through XAOC Belgrad to the R56. LOads of RK3 character in this short outtake:

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:32 am

lisa wrote:Made some softcore industrial ambient by sending the SSF Entity Percussion and the ALM MCO to the RK3 and patching the result through XAOC Belgrad to the R56. LOads of RK3 character in this short outtake
Very cool :tu:

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 am

I'm extremely intrigued by the RK3. I've been reading through this thread and am noticing that some people are having issues with the power draw taxing their power source too much on startup. I am currently using the power system by Trogotronic.

I have never had a single issue to date, but am wondering if anybody here has used Metasonix modules with Trogotronic power systems, and if they have ever run into any problems?

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:24 am

spilthyfred wrote:I'm extremely intrigued by the RK3. I've been reading through this thread and am noticing that some people are having issues with the power draw taxing their power source too much on startup. I am currently using the power system by Trogotronic.
Metasonix official support page wrote:Trogotronic's m/15 supply is excellent and will power numerous Metasonix or Trogotronic tube modules. Trogotronic also makes great cabinets with massive power supplies built in. Recommended.
You'll be fine. The people who report problems are generally using cheap switching supplies like the Tiptop μZeus.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
spilthyfred wrote:I'm extremely intrigued by the RK3. I've been reading through this thread and am noticing that some people are having issues with the power draw taxing their power source too much on startup. I am currently using the power system by Trogotronic.
Metasonix official support page wrote:Trogotronic's m/15 supply is excellent and will power numerous Metasonix or Trogotronic tube modules. Trogotronic also makes great cabinets with massive power supplies built in. Recommended.
You'll be fine. The people who report problems are generally using cheap switching supplies like the Tiptop μZeus.
Awesome! Great to know :tu:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
lisa wrote:Made some softcore industrial ambient by sending the SSF Entity Percussion and the ALM MCO to the RK3 and patching the result through XAOC Belgrad to the R56. Loads of RK3 character in this short outtake
Spanks! :drinking:

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 pm

lisa wrote:
Yes Powder wrote:
lisa wrote:Made some softcore industrial ambient by sending the SSF Entity Percussion and the ALM MCO to the RK3 and patching the result through XAOC Belgrad to the R56. Loads of RK3 character in this short outtake
Spanks! :drinking:
I really like this.

Return to “Metasonix”