Why does Facebook bug me?

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

HighLordFixer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HighLordFixer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 pm

And furthermore.....why did we stop making yellow panels? Because of guys like this. There are more of them than MW users might realize. I gotta stay in business.

Complain about Facebook all you want, I will usually agree with you. It is still a vast ocean of consumers albeit displaying all kinds of good/bad/insane behaviour. It's a cheap and effective advertising medium too (unfortunately).

That's completely logical & simply strategic in your case.

what about advertising the concept of custom panels selection (basic silver or black variants)for additional cost if customer preorders direct from you...
for resolving any "optics" conflicts with them
or is that absurd?
modular grid will need catching up...

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:04 pm

metasonix wrote:And furthermore.....why did we stop making yellow panels? Because of guys like this. There are more of them than MW users might realize. I gotta stay in business.
A shame, that, but understandable, unfortunately. Guy sounds like one of those people for whom the modular is more like furniture or decoration than musical instrument, probably. Personally, the chaotic variety of looks and styles is one of the reasons I like Eurorack as a format.

Oh well, I'll pick up all the old yellow stuff I can scrounge up, and the new silver stuff, 'cause it all sound great.

HighLordFixer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HighLordFixer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:27 pm

personally prefer the yellow
F optics
this is sound design
watch... the yellow modules will end up "collectable" increasing value

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:53 pm

metasonix wrote:And furthermore.....why did we stop making yellow panels? Because of guys like this. There are more of them than MW users might realize. I gotta stay in business.

Complain about Facebook all you want, I will usually agree with you. It is still a vast ocean of consumers albeit displaying all kinds of good/bad/insane behaviour. It's a cheap and effective advertising medium too (unfortunately).

This is like the Irvine of modular :russian:

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:25 pm

guy on Facebook wrote:it just looks so much better!
If that's what makes that dude happy, good for him I guess.
Personally, I'm much more interested in playing my modular than looking at it. :whistle:

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 am

Like Frank Zappa always said
THERE IS NO ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE

if people are willing to spend more for a
Black Shared System.... GREAT!

Color doesn’t matter to me.
Most of the people I see posting stuff with the
“Pretty systems” in neat & clean studios
Aren’t producing sounds that interest me.

Facebook is what it is to each individual.
My experience was:
1) more people were interested in my food than work
2) Trump/Obama
3) nobody bought any of my music there because
We are “friends” and should get it free
4) over 5 years of promoting my 2-4 shows every
Week, only 3 people ever approached me to
Say they saw my FB post. ( 3 people over 5 years)

So if you gain from it.... WONDERFUL
but think about it.... how much time do you waste there?

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 am

ritchiedrums wrote: 4) over 5 years of promoting my 2-4 shows every
Week, only 3 people ever approached me to
Say they saw my FB post. ( 3 people over 5 years)
The cold hard truth right there. I gave up on promoting shows / my band at the time on facebook. No one cared, no one bought anything, and facebook wanted $ to show it to more people. I'd gladly dismiss it as a "you're in a shitty local thrash band, what do you expect?" type of situation, but I see the gripes about it from bands and promoters big (relative) and small. Too much noise out there, and not the fun kind.
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Mondrian wept

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:00 pm

gringostar wrote:

This is like the Irvine of modular :russian:
Who would of thought that aesthetics mattered to artists?

But more to the point, social media is a mental ghetto. Whoever is “advertising” on there is never gonna reach this potential customer. If I want my personal data stolen I’ll mail Zuckerberg my birth certificate, credit card info and a vile of my plasma.

HighLordFixer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HighLordFixer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm

BEWARE INTRUSIVE SPY WARE
social engineering ghetto
target users for psychological abuse/testing
pretty much any diabolical thing you can imagine...
they have already been experimenting with it
plus they used corp inside sabotage for destroying myspace
so they could force herd migration
you put name with face for facial recognition database
full case files with frequent updates
not any coincidence
that was the plan
so you do the work for them
give them all your personal networks
your daily updates
exposing crucial insights for your personal life
let them track you
total simplicity for the "Analysts"
Zersetzung
and it's free!

even though you really aren't anymore

State Sponsored digital tyranny in full effect

they won't be punished by the "System"
because they are the "System"
Always remember, they are your friends!

Zuckers.................
You get he is being "groomed" now.... right?

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 am

A thread that ran today is quite different....

snercle
Common Wiggler

Post by snercle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 am

fairly certain 99% of those criticizing tube gear have never owned a piece of tube gear

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm

snercle wrote:fairly certain 99% of those criticizing tube gear have never owned a piece of tube gear
Seems to be generally true. Plus that "Bart HRK" outfit really gets me. Metasonix has not made an API 500 module, despite repeated requests, for one damn good reason: their power supply specs are miserable. "thou shalt not draw more than 140 mA" and such.

otolathe
Common Wiggler

Post by otolathe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:52 am

Some musicians and listeners simply have not liberated their minds and ears from the tyranny of even-tempered scales and modes, whole-number divisible rhythms, soothing timbres, and the conventions of past centuries.

Shrug emoji.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 am

I started deleting my facebook app on my phone and it does feel so much better, might consider to delete my Facebook Account as well.

Also don't tell anyone but tubes are ace. it will be our little secret. don't know why but I'm looking always for harmonics that remind me of acoustic instruments. Somehow the tubes do the job, don't know why but they do this very well.

And I'm glad I'm no expert, just want to do music and i listen to the characters of the sounds and tubes are some of the characters I was looking so long. Now I found it and I'm glad.

Don't spend too much time on Facebook, it's just not healthy. Rock n Roll is dead? Facebook too...

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Estes wrote:I started deleting my facebook app on my phone and it does feel so much better, might consider to delete my Facebook Account as well.

Also don't tell anyone but tubes are ace. it will be our little secret. don't know why but I'm looking always for harmonics that remind me of acoustic instruments. Somehow the tubes do the job, don't know why but they do this very well.

And I'm glad I'm no expert, just want to do music and i listen to the characters of the sounds and tubes are some of the characters I was looking so long. Now I found it and I'm glad.

Don't spend too much time on Facebook, it's just not healthy. Rock n Roll is dead? Facebook too...
"Deleteing" the Facebook App on your phone may or may not stop it from phoning home
to facebook.com.

The only way to be reasonably sure is to do a backup of your contacts and photos, then do a
"factory reset" of the phone and then pull your contacts and photos back down, and
reinstall only the apps you need. Facebook is not one of those apps.

You *might* want to install a firewall app like Blockada and put "facebook.com" into it's
blocklist. That will make it look to all apps that Facebook is temporarily down.

Note that this will kill all apps and web pages that "login with Facebook". Which means
*those* apps and pages will stop phoning home to Facebook as well.

Google is a little harder to stop the phone-home behavior... but it can be done.

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:57 am

wsy wrote:"Deleteing" the Facebook App on your phone may or may not stop it from phoning home to facebook.com.

The only way to be reasonably sure is to do a backup of your contacts and photos, then do a "factory reset" of the phone and then pull your contacts and photos back down, and reinstall only the apps you need. Facebook is not one of those apps.

You *might* want to install a firewall app like Blockada and put "facebook.com" into it's blocklist. That will make it look to all apps that Facebook is temporarily down.

Note that this will kill all apps and web pages that "login with Facebook". Which means *those* apps and pages will stop phoning home to Facebook as well.

Google is a little harder to stop the phone-home behavior... but it can be done.
You really should listen to him. Both the iOS and Android worlds are perfect havens for spyware that can't be detected much less removed. All the major social websites have smartphone apps, and you can bet all of them tattle on you constantly. And can't be removed easily.

Return to “Metasonix”