what´s the ideal R or RK module for controllable tube preamp

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

what´s the ideal R or RK module for controllable tube preamp

Post by FatRocky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 am

what´s the ideal R or RK module that can be used (apart from it´s main function) for controllable tube pre-amplification of weak signals?
Something that doesn´t destroy the signal that much for early stage in the fx chain?

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Looking at the specs, I'd say an R-57 or an RK2

mecanikill
Electrical Demon

Post by mecanikill » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:06 pm

R-51

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Is anyone here that can confirm that the R56 Reverb is awesome as preamp only ?

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:29 pm

FatRocky wrote:Is anyone here that can confirm that the R56 Reverb is awesome as preamp only ?
With feedback at zero and wet signal at zero and input at 12 noon and Dry at 12 noon, I can get some pretty good crunch tweaking input from 12 noon to about 5 o'clock on the R56. I'd say if you are just looking to boost signals than the RK2 would be an awesome application for boosting signals even into an R56.
Soundcloud
*Abstract Cat Pwns your life*

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:40 am

FatRocky wrote:Is anyone here that can confirm that the R56 Reverb is awesome as preamp only ?
I can confirm. It makes for a lovely-sounding pre. :nana:

thefutureeaters
Common Wiggler

Post by thefutureeaters » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:56 pm

It's a great preamp, for sure. I use the R56 for the pre more than for reverb. Not to say I don't love it for reverb, cause I do.
Genre: Adult Contemporary Acid Reflux

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:31 pm

thefutureeaters wrote:
It's a great preamp, for sure. I use the R56 for the pre more than for reverb. Not to say I don't love it for reverb, cause I do.

Is the RK2 better for that as it´s main function is amplification i´m looking for just boosting not clipping a stereo signal . ( So two r56 could be too much space and :75: . i tried once a Manley tube equalizer and it´s amazing how great it sounds once the passive parametric eq processed signal is boosted (each individual band ) by tubes.

I always wanted something like a Metasonix Stereo EQ , so I´m trying to figure out how to make something like that by patching R or RK modules with a fixed filter bank or a resonant equalizer like the Serge or a cleaner one.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 am

FatRocky wrote:I always wanted something like a Metasonix Stereo EQ , so I´m trying to figure out how to make something like that by patching R or RK modules with a fixed filter bank or a resonant equalizer like the Serge or a cleaner one.
Your best bet would be an R57 or two RK2s feeding whatever EQ or filter you prefer. Making a tube eq is possible but painful (the potentiometers available today aren't really suitable, there's always a big dead area in the control rotation).

Return to “Metasonix”