rk3's carrier input

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

rk3's carrier input

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:50 pm

first I will say I don't know shit about tubes and am just considering an rk3 or rk2 as a first addition. I'd like some VC tube distortion in 8hp and both seem viable.

if I understand whats been explained about the rk3's design, the CV/carrier input is used to modulate the amplitude of the input signal, but it works more like AM than 4-quadrant multiplication. so can you use it as a primitive VCA as well, with the pulser disengaged (tune fully CCW) and with some CV like an envelope or LFO into the carrier input?

obviously this would be an underutilization of the thing but id like to understand their edge capabilities. I'm of course also interested in the agonized pulser stuff and in combining audiorate signals with the rk3, just might sometimes want to use it for nasty tremolo or the like

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 pm

It doesn't really work like that. It's AC coupled, so there's no way to hold a voltage that'd cut off the input signal.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 am

AC coupled is news, since in the manual it says "The CV input can accept changing CVs (such as LFOs) or audio signals" and "You can also feed a CV here"

Thanks for clearing that up though

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm

autopoiesis wrote:AC coupled is news, since in the manual it says "The CV input can accept changing CVs (such as LFOs) or audio signals" and "You can also feed a CV here"
It can, but they don’t do much without the pulser engaged. Audio works fine, but slower signals only really affect the pulser.

Return to “Metasonix”