S-2000 Tuning

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

S-2000 Tuning

Post by REcDeso12oi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:14 pm

I've read that some Metasonix modules track Hertz per Volt. Does the S-2000 track that way as well? Or is it Volt per Octave?

Also, I saw this on the website:

"CV can be varied from 1.5v to 7v for more than 3 octaves of range, tunable with the front-panel tuning knobs"

Does "cv can be varied" mean that there is some sort of CV offset or way to vary the amount of cv coming from the CV input? Or does it just mean that the unit will accept 1.5 volts to 7 volts?

Sorry, I hope the second question isn't too confusing. I'm a moron.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: S-2000 Tuning

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:42 am

REcDeso12oi wrote:I've read that some Metasonix modules track Hertz per Volt. Does the S-2000 track that way as well? Or is it Volt per Octave?
All Metasonix units with pitch CV track Hz/V.

"Effective range" refers to the range of voltage it'll respond to.

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 am

Ah! Thanks!

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:56 pm

S2000 works really well with the ribbon. I've been able to get it to follow a sequencer pretty well with straight CV (no Hz/volt really needed) - The trick is finding a gate strong enough to open it properly.

Needs about 10-12v of gate to get the S2000 a 'hummin! After that, any CV pitch will yodel out whatever it's fed.
Yes Powder wrote: All Metasonix units with pitch CV track Hz/V.
That's interesting - I've only really tried Hz/V with the R55! Makes me curious about other ones to Hz/V on.
Bandcamp | Website

This week's show is about electrical safety from 1965:

musicaespressiva
Common Wiggler

Post by musicaespressiva » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 am

EPTC wrote:S2000 works really well with the ribbon. I've been able to get it to follow a sequencer pretty well with straight CV (no Hz/volt really needed) - The trick is finding a gate strong enough to open it properly.

Needs about 10-12v of gate to get the S2000 a 'hummin! After that, any CV pitch will yodel out whatever it's fed.
Yes Powder wrote: All Metasonix units with pitch CV track Hz/V.
That's interesting - I've only really tried Hz/V with the R55! Makes me curious about other ones to Hz/V on.
Which sequencer did you use?

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 am

EPTC wrote:I've been able to get it to follow a sequencer pretty well with straight CV (no Hz/volt really needed)
Like, a quantized sequencer??

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:44 am

musicaespressiva wrote:Which sequencer did you use?
Yes Powder wrote:Like, a quantized sequencer??
Yep, a few octaves of defined notes, absolutely. I admit I remember having some issues with this when I first got the S2000 but saw a video somewhere of someone controlling it with an Elektron. If you have a Minibrute laying around, or maybe even a Keystep you might be able to get same results. Though I'm not sure if it's largely due to the Sequencer I'm using.

I have a GRP R24 sequencer, which sends midi and CV. Took the midi out into a Arturia Minibrute. Minibrute by itself is a great external controller for the S2000 - Its CV and Gate outputs work really well. I no longer use a Minibrute for sound, but control the S2000 and the R55 together with it. (Set all the Minibrute oscillators to square wave and use the audio out to control the R55 in sync with the S2000) - This allows the R55 to be a third voice for the S2000.

R24 Midi -> Minibrute Midi In -> CV/Gate out to S2000

If you want to attenuate any note, also use the R24 to send out CV. So with Midi and CV sent into the Minibrute as a controller there's a lot of fine control on notes from the S2000. The arpeggiator on the Minibrute is nice to use, too.
Bandcamp | Website

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:12 am

EPTC wrote:Yep, a few octaves of defined notes, absolutely.
And just to clarify, we're talking about getting a few octaves of 12-tone equal (roughly) temperament out of a V/Oct signal being sent to the S-2000?
Sorry, this is blowing my mind. I need to try this when I get home.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm

I would call it more a solid octave and a half, probably, though I can't guarantee perfect quantized notes. But a definite scale!

I don't want to overpromise, but am definitely able to get a row of different notes from a sequencer using the arturia as a bridge. Really, just a shifting up and down of notes based on a sequencer is pretty wonderful to hear.

Here's an example:

https://soundcloud.com/eptc/jokey-the-clown
Last edited by EPTC on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:17 am

So I played around with this a little last night. I was surprised to find that if I used an offset/attenuation module on the V/Oct out, I could get an octave that was surprisingly close to equal temperament. Doing the same thing but putting it an exponential converter between the V/Oct source and attenuator seemed to give me better results as far as closeness to ET, and let the tuning extend a little further up and down beyond the one octave I tuned to before drifting too far off from the selected notes.
Of course, YMMV.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am

Rock n Roll, Yes Powder!

Yeah it's not perfect musical scale, but it's musical in an perceived sorta way. I like the idea of putting attenuation in the chain, there!
Yes Powder wrote:YMMV.
Yahweh or the Highway
Bandcamp | Website

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes Powder wrote:Of course, YMMV.
Gross understatement. Every expo converter module I've tried gave weirdly different results in driving an R-54 or an RK4. So it would be the same with S-2000 and D-2000 voices. This is an "operator experience issue" to some extent.

Remember that we offered a MIDI-CV converter for driving that circuit specifically. It was a failure. Very few sales.

Return to “Metasonix”