dumb questions

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

aqua2374
Common Wiggler

dumb questions

Post by aqua2374 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm just getting into Metasonx to bear with me.

Do the tubes often need to be replaced? How long is their shelf-life?

Is the R-yellow series sketchy to buy used?

I'm looking at the new designs and do they mostly cover the r-yellow series sonically and in terms of functionality?

thanks

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm

The tubes do not need to be replaced often at all. Most of them according to Eric— depending on your usage, might never need to be replaced. They're run very conservatively (unlike a guitar amp which tends to push the shit out of them) so their usage life could be tens of thousands of hours for a single tube. As for their shelf-life of the tube, they're pretty much indefinite.

You should be fine buying the R-series on the used market since they're all built very solid, but if you're eyeing something with an RK equivalent, you might be better off getting the RK version unless you're getting a really good deal. Also, support Eric by buying new! He could use the money.

–The RK3 is the equivalent of the R53.
–The RK4 is equivalent to the R54, but without the built-in VCA.
–The upcoming RK7 will be equivalent to the R55.
–The RK2 is a VCA like the R51 and R57, but that's where the similarities end. It has an both a regular and an inverted-phase out, feedback control, and I like its distortion character the best of the three.
The RK1, 5, and 6 are completely new designs.

Edit: Of course all that being said, if you ever see an R52 for sale you should probably grab it.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delepathy
Common Wiggler

Post by Delepathy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 am

Yes Powder wrote:Also, support Eric by buying new! He could use the money.
Yes, buy new if you can! R-modules will always be floating around. You'll likely have an opportunity own one (or many) eventually. Supporting Eric's current line is best, of course. Unfortunately he gains no revenue from secondhand or out-of-production modules, pedals, etc. You certainly can't go wrong with a few RKs.

My custom 'Sodomizer' Serge panel:

Return to “Metasonix”