R-53 Best Attenuator?

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

R-53 Best Attenuator?

Post by Estes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am

I sometimes like the first 5 % of the attenuator before the R-53 a lot and then I went to search for attenuators and realized there are lots of options nowdays sometimes with different modes. I was wondering if you have a favorite one to add before the R-53?

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: R-53 Best Attenuator?

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 am

You're talking about the Input Level knob?
I really haven't noticed any difference between attenuating an incoming signal with that, or attenuating it externally.
What's it doing for you, and what kind of signal are you feeding it? Maybe it has something to do with whatever you're feeding it having some offset?

Edit: I know it's not what you were talking about, but it's worth noting that the Ringmod Carrier Input Level knob definitely does some interesting stuff, whether something is plugged into the Carrier In or not! I don't know exactly how it does it since the behavior is not documented in the manual and afaik Eric has been quiet on the subject, but it's definitely a known behavior. I've used a few different attenuators to change level going into there without tweaking that knob, and haven't noticed much of a difference.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Re: R-53 Best Attenuator?

Post by Estes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:01 am

True now that I think about it, it only behavied that interesting with this one patch. I think a Doepfer throughzero was involved, I'll test it again and report.

Return to “Metasonix”