So what dragged you in?

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

So what dragged you in?

Post by zerosum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 am

What made you pull the trigger and decide to explore Metasonix instruments and effects?

I had been paying attention for a while before I was able to afford my first purchase, but what drew me in instantly was the "Fuck off if you don't like it, Thank you very much if you do like it, I'm not hear to please you" attitude.
That made me say: "I want to give my money to someone that doesn't follow the rules of kissing ass and serving everything on a silver platter."

So that got me interested in the METASONIX company,
but I wasn't sure what kind of sounds I was looking for yet.

After some conversations, forum posts, and sound demos from Muff Wiggler, Endmusik, and ThermionicJunky, I was finally able to decide on the TM-1 to be my first piece, and it was exactly what I was looking for....
Shortly after.... A TM-7 came to join forces.....It was exactly what the TM-1 was looking for.
Shortly after..... A TX-1 came to help me fight off mutant scum that lives in Arizona... It was exactly what the TM-1 and TM-7 needed :agony:

A long time later I finally dove into the Assblaster...
It took some time to find the sweet spots, but it was worth the journey.
Shortly after the assblaster experience, the floodgates opened and I experienced ALL the metasonix all at once before I even knew what the hell to do with it all... Wretch Machine, R modules, D-1000 :eek: What do I do?

I remember sending Endmusik a text saying: "what the hell do I do? I have a 6 pack of blue moon, a D-1000, and an S-1000..I think I may have a heart attack!"

So I sloppily, drunkenly, happily recorded a bunch of D-1000 sounds and some people thought it was cool :lol:

The same thing draws me back every time. That "thing" is the unpredictable weirdness each new box offers, and they all sound different, Every Wretch Machine, every D-1000(believe me I know) all have sweet spots in different places. It keeps me from getting bored, I apply simple concepts but get different results every time. Its just wierd and funny and always sounds like it doesn't want to do what it is doing, like its trying to resist and then screaming in protest! :hihi:
I poke it and it does all the driving :bananallama:

So why are you using this crap?

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:15 am

I think once I wrapped my head around the idea that it is a different philosophy to synthesis I became much more interested. The audio/music industry is saturated with the idea of tube magic, warmth, mojo, overdrive, etc. and I think initially one expects this out of metasonix and I think that’s the wrong approach to metasonix. I think there is a different paradigm to wrap your head around. It’s largely unexplored territory, I think there are the initial “flash-bang” this is what comes easy sounds but there are lots of subtleties to explore. The modules don’t always work as you expect them to but I suppose that is part of the appeal to me. It’s something different. It’s kind of like discovering the whole buchla/serge thing when you are used to standard east coast paradigms. It’s new and different. I also find the archaic nature of it appealing, both in sound and ideology.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 am

Was in the market for a different kind of filter, saw a R-53 up for sale here, found the character to my liking, began to sound like NIN.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

For me, it's strictly about the sound of the devices. The rest of the hooey about being anti-whatnot and 'buy this / you suck' had run its course with me within the first 6-8 months of exposure. I got the point, it's been made and was humorous for a time, but let's move on with that marketing angle and go somewhere new as it is a bit of a one-trick unicorn penis to me.
I don't mind the graphics one bit though. It's the lack of perceived evolution of the message.

This has zero bearing upon my desire to buy more yellow. The D-1000 will be next after the Buchla is paid off.

I started with a TM-2, went full-on with the Wretch Machine, hesitated like a fool on the TM-1 and eventually grabbed one due to the excellent help of Mr. Cybanana. Grabbed an R51, then an AssBlaster and the D-1000 is to follow.
Eric Barbour was also kind enough to put some work in on my AssBlaster for nothing but the cost of shipping the product to him. In the end, he does give a fuck about people buying his stuff and his customers.

theabsent
?

Post by theabsent » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Noise and distortion. Got plenty. Thanks!
My releases: https://laitoshuoltaja.bandcamp.com/releases
My sound art & live gigs: https://www.facebook.com/Laitoshuoltaja/
Modular live gigs (our modular band): https://konekonekone.bandcamp.com/releases
Modular Patch of The Week Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTYqCy ... pvEmilJScg

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm

For me, it's the yellow color. I needed a synth that would match my decor.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:40 pm

It was pretty much by chance that I got into Metasonix. I was interested in the R modules when they came out, but the demos at the time did not interest me. When I was selling off my 5U system, I was offered three R modules for a trade. Initially, I was looking to sell so that I could buy other euro modules. However, the thought of trying out some tube based modules made me miss my Ampeg SVT head. I did more noisey fx pedal chains into that amp than actual bass playing. I remembered how I was never able to get the same sound after I sold the SVT. So the R modules seemed like something worth trying out.

Almost a year later, I now have 9 R modules, a D1000, and a Wretch will be mine very soon :omg: :agonizer:

I can concur that Eric's customer service rocks :sb:
Heavy Lids

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Kent wrote: a one-trick unicorn penis
ahh...hahahah... Seriously, those are the worst kind.
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:59 pm

I had seen ads for these mysterious gold bricks with tubes in them that seemed so expensive. But mysterious as they were, I kept my eye on them. They became yellow and some got some great names and graphics. Then The Wretch Machine came. It seemed nothing but amazing but so damn expensive.

I finally gave in and got a TM-1. It was just what I wanted but didn't know existed. I soon gathered up as many TM's as I could and each one was great in it's own strange way. I can't tell you how many times they've made such strange and funny sounds that my friends and I have literally been in tears with laughter at the strange moans and grunts they produce.

Eventually I saw a great deal on a Wretch and got it. After experiencing the TM's, all the Metasonix line suddenly became very affordable. The Wretch was worth every penny. They really are worth the price if you do your research and know what you're getting.

For me, the love is first with the strange sounds that i've only been able to make with Metasonix devices.

Second is the behavior. Sometimes I play the devices, sometimes they play me. Each one has a learning curve. Metasonix (TM's and assblaster) are more like an instrument each than an effect. Also, the Wretch doesn't behave like a normal monosynth. Of course it does to some degree, but you still need to learn it, even with lots of synth experience.

Lastly is I like Metasonix. Eric has been very helpful with all my questions etc. The Metasonix fans here have been really helpful too.
shaft9000 wrote:like anyone, i was under the impression that yellow=fsu

how wrong i was :hail:
Isn't it great when you make this discovery! :hyper: :sb:

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:13 pm

what dragged me in?

i love the sounds.

i enjoy the experience of experimentation and finding sweet spots.

if anyone cares to elucidate what exactly the different philosophy is that people allude to regarding creating sounds with these modules, i'd love to hear it explained.

all i know is i likey.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:48 pm

goiks wrote:if anyone cares to elucidate what exactly the different philosophy is that people allude to regarding creating sounds with these modules, i'd love to hear it explained.
You pretty much summed it up in your own post.
goiks wrote:i love the sounds.

i enjoy the experience of experimentation and finding sweet spots.
I'll just add the fact that there are unique sounds/tones that seem to be exclusive to Metasonix. :goo:
Heavy Lids

felix
Loves the manuals!

Re: So what dragged you in?

Post by felix » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:54 pm

zerosum wrote:What made you pull the trigger and decide to explore Metasonix instruments and effects?
I'm pretty sure it was you... in the early days of the forum here.
I had seen the Agonizer and Butt Probes at NAMM the two years prior, and they were certainly interesting, but it wasn't until talking about them that I really considered giving them a try. TM-1 was my first as well, followed very shortly by TM-6 / TM-7 (I think I bought the TM-6 while waiting for the TM-7s to start shipping).
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

TWINSTATES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TWINSTATES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 pm

dronetaco
making it make itself

Post by dronetaco » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Prior to my awareness, it was all the profanity. Seriously.

After I looked into the line, I'm pretty sure it was the prices that initially pulled me in...

they sound pretty decent as well

:ripbanana:

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 am

goiks wrote: if anyone cares to elucidate what exactly the different philosophy is that people allude to regarding creating sounds with these modules, i'd love to hear it explained.
I think there’s a couple philosophies going on. First, the whole idea of going back in time technologically, to create something that could have existed but didn’t. This brings about the second point, that this is something new. The modules don’t really react or sound the same as normal solid-state modules. To someone who hasn’t used them they look like normal modules with tubes but really, particularly with r52 and r53, they don’t really work or react in a way their name with imply. Their quirky, they add harmonics thus being kind of additive devices but not in the sense of a bank of sine-wave oscillators. They respond different to incoming signals than similar solid-state modules would. Of course this is all my opinion.

I think you were looking for “what’s the philosophy on how I am supposed to use these”. I like them precisely because this doesn’t exist yet IMHO. Sure, there is the easy “let’s get chaotic and destructive” with them. That aspect actually doesn’t really appeal to me much. I’m completely indifferent to the marketing approach and the NIN appeal.

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote: I think you were looking for “what’s the philosophy on how I am supposed to use these”. I like them precisely because this doesn’t exist yet IMHO.
nope. just curious (more about how people relate to them/what's behind them thought-wise), and thanks for sharing your perspective.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:45 pm

in my quest to become trent reznor i saw a photo of this yellow goodness and had to have it.

I have been taking steroids every day to build up my muscle mass to emulate him as well.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:40 pm

joey wrote:I have been taking steroids every day to build up my muscle mass to emulate him as well.
heh, he's not that big. He's getting up there in age too. I think you could take him.

TrashWaveform
Flesh Eating Angel

Post by TrashWaveform » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:24 pm

joey wrote:in my quest to become trent reznor i saw a photo of this yellow goodness and had to have it.

I have been taking steroids every day to build up my muscle mass to emulate him as well.
I used to think you were actually a bored Trent Reznor who decided to troll the Metasonix forum. :twisted:
"Well, if you were never born, it wouldn't be your fucking birthday." - droolmaster0 aka Nelson Baboon

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:34 pm

TrashWaveform wrote:
joey wrote:in my quest to become trent reznor i saw a photo of this yellow goodness and had to have it.

I used to think you were actually a bored Trent Reznor who decided to troll the Metasonix forum. :twisted:
hah, if only. Then I would have A. made some of my favorite records ever, and 2. could be able to afford a fuckton more gear, like a wretch or three, and a serge animal...

endmusik
The Wretch

Post by endmusik » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:53 pm

I bought a TM-1 based on an in-store jam at Two Lines in Manhattan, and abused the crap out of it, generating a bunch of tracks that I posted in the synthtopia forums:

http://www.synthtopia.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=146

Eric took a liking to me, and after breaking the news to my parents, he formally adopted me in 2005.

I've had a growing studio full of the yellow, prototypes, you name it. I designed the front panel of the wretch machine, named it, demo'd it in Frankfurt and helped at the first Namm unveiling it to the world.

Rod Serling said it well: the beauty of metasonix is that he is making devices and instruments that could have existed much earlier in history, he's circuit bending decades old technology and giving us things that are alchemical in the way they blend science with magic; you try and try to get gold from lead but with Metasonix you actually do get gold occasionally (especially with the first generation tm's :hihi: )

Every time I spend a day working with the modules/Wretch machine I feel both out of control and in control.

Klopfgeist
Extraneous Commenter

Post by Klopfgeist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 pm

joey wrote:
TrashWaveform wrote:

hah, if only. Then I would have A. made some of my favorite records ever, and 2. could be able to afford a fuckton more gear, like a wretch or three, and a serge animal...
You would still have to rent a Buchla. (but at least you get the wife :hihi: )

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:11 am

I'm still in the research phase for building a modular setup (or just outright buying a Wretch), but after finding Metasonix by sheer accident (I think I found out about it through some gabber mailing list or something to that effect), but the main thing that caught my attention with Metasonix is quite literally the take no prisoners and complete left field approach to things. Completely different sounds, and especially how things are designed differently, seemingly without any thought, let alone care as to what others consider "the standard".

The fact that Metasonix instruments/modules can create a wide spectrum ranging from melodic to outright destructive force that can rival anything currently banned in modern warfare.... is also one hell of a perk.

I'll admit, at first, some of the demos I listened to on the website (specifically some of the Wretch machine ones) had me both extremely curious, but also turned off to the machine. After spending time looking into sounds others had created, it became quite obvious that it sure as hell wasn't some wimpy one trick $2,900 USD pony, but instead a devious and charming bastard that will willingly curbstomp you if you let it (in an enjoyable way), and then might take you out to a fancy steakhouse or louge.

Metasonix is one of the primary reasons I have difficulty choosing between EuroRack and the flavours of 5U modulars...

Klopfgeist
Extraneous Commenter

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:42 pm

whitewulfe wrote:
Metasonix is one of the primary reasons I have difficulty choosing between EuroRack and the flavours of 5U modulars...
That's what 1/8 " to 1/4" cables are for :hihi:

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:14 am

Klopfgeist wrote:That's what 1/8 " to 1/4" cables are for :hihi:
Shhh, I don't need to know such silly things! :P Yeah, much as I hate to admit it, odds are that will probably wind up being the route I go (or at least get one of those 1/4" to 1/8" adapter modules in a 1U setup)

Return to “Metasonix”