R55

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:49 am

otoskope wrote:Both methods, at different times.
:agree:

electrik noize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electrik noize » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

Just ordered one from BCM. I think it will pair quite nicely with the RK 2 & 3 :sb:

x-zero-x
Learning to Wiggle

Post by x-zero-x » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 pm

otoskope wrote:Both methods, at different times.
Ditto

severence
Common Wiggler

Post by severence » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:03 pm

i use both too, was about to order a second r-55 from big city at the weekend and by chance noticed they have a handful of r-51s for sale and got tempted by the yellow...

hope this current run continues at least a little longer and i get the chance experiment with a pair of them at some point, very pleased so far with the sounds that fall out of the one i have!

ccastellanossf
Common Wiggler

Post by ccastellanossf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:05 pm

metasonix wrote:
FatRocky wrote:Are you bringing the r55 to the rk line too?
Have not decided yet. 2D21/5727s are becoming more difficult to find and rising in price as I've warned before. We managed to score a large supply of 5696s; easier to get and consume far less heater power, but are even more nonlinear and variable than 2D21s in a VCO circuit.

2050As would be far better for this, but they are getting VERY scarce. And I hate dealing with eBay nut-case hoarder/dealer types.
Any chance of making them with yellow panels again?

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Buy the LE from BCM, and have the panel Anodized yellow, its aluminum and would look :sb:

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:25 pm

metasonix wrote:
FatRocky wrote:Are you bringing the r55 to the rk line too?
Have not decided yet. 2D21/5727s are becoming more difficult to find and rising in price as I've warned before. We managed to score a large supply of 5696s; easier to get and consume far less heater power, but are even more nonlinear and variable than 2D21s in a VCO circuit.

2050As would be far better for this, but they are getting VERY scarce. And I hate dealing with eBay nut-case hoarder/dealer types.

Is the 2050A a straight swap for the 2D21/5727, or is there a mod needed?

I found what appears to be a source for a moderate quantity of NOS 2050As, for something of a premium price, but better than I am seeing on eBay, about $25 with shipping. If so, I'll probably grab a few when I order my R55 in a couple weeks.

ETA: Nope, looked up the datasheet and answered my own question. Octal vs. 7 pin, completely different pinout per the datasheets I've been able to dig up. So some sort of mod looks to be in order if I want to use the 2050A .

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 pm

luchog wrote:Is the 2050A a straight swap for the 2D21/5727, or is there a mod needed?
Electrically they are similar. Mechanically they could NOT be more different. It is possible to make an adapter plug but not easy--a 7 pin miniature plug is needed, it was manufactured at one time but is VERY rare today.

Lucky you, it appears that Surplus Sales of Nebraska might have some. It's "907MIB" on this page. Wire it up to an octal socket and fabricate some kind of enclosure for them both and you're good.
https://www.surplussales.com/Tube-Socke ... kts-2.html

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 pm

metasonix wrote:
luchog wrote:Is the 2050A a straight swap for the 2D21/5727, or is there a mod needed?
Electrically they are similar. Mechanically they could NOT be more different. It is possible to make an adapter plug but not easy--a 7 pin miniature plug is needed, it was manufactured at one time but is VERY rare today.

Lucky you, it appears that Surplus Sales of Nebraska might have some. It's "907MIB" on this page. Wire it up to an octal socket and fabricate some kind of enclosure for them both and you're good.
https://www.surplussales.com/Tube-Socke ... kts-2.html
Cheers, looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Also see that AES appears to have a few as well, although they look a bit iffy on the construction quality. ETA - Nope, they disappeared.

But I did find a few of these guys on Etsy: https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/5149 ... fits-7-pin
Only three left, so I grabbed them all, since I'm bound to bugger up at least one. Nearly twice the price of the ones on Surplus Sales of Nebraska, but should be easier to work with.
Last edited by luchog on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:00 am

Looks like AES has 2d21 s in stock as well

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/2d21pl21-thyratron

Eric, is this a legit source? An R-55 tube broke a few weeks ago and I need to stock up on replacements.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 pm

CopperHydra wrote:Eric, is this a legit source? An R-55 tube broke a few weeks ago and I need to stock up on replacements.
A "legit source"? Of course it is. Not many modern tube dealers carry thyratrons, and Antique does offer a 90-day warranty on new or NOS tubes. So buy them.

(Do you know anything about Antique Electronic Supply's history? They've been in business since 1982, okay? I've bought thousands of tubes and sockets from them over the years. "Is this a legit source" lol.)

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Welp, my R-55 and R-56 from BCM have arrived. Time to start scrounging up the funding for the next bits.

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 pm

On a lighter note, I finally grew the pair to plug each one of my R55's to each one of my Intellijel TPS80. I had been using them in the Doepfer PSU3 cases without issue. The only difference I hear is stepping when tweaking the tune knob on the R55's, I suppose that's normal with a pure switcher like the Intellijel.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:59 am

Chartreuse-J wrote:On a lighter note, I finally grew the pair to plug each one of my R55's to each one of my Intellijel TPS80. I had been using them in the Doepfer PSU3 cases without issue. The only difference I hear is stepping when tweaking the tune knob on the R55's, I suppose that's normal with a pure switcher like the Intellijel.
That is a new one to me....it should not matter, unless the Intellijel power supply is VERY noisy.

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:16 am

ROBOTSPEAK EDITION. Seriously now. :hobbes:

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

Is there any difference or improvement in the silver panel R55? or the same thing in different color?

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:45 pm

FatRocky wrote:Is there any difference or improvement in the silver panel R55? or the same thing in different color?
I believe circuit is identical, but I know little of such things. From picture on modular grid the knobbies might be different. And just for the sake of clarity, there is the original yellow R-55, the yellow BCM edition, and the most recent silver BCM iteration? Who's got all 3! :omg:

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:53 pm

I've got a yellow r55 and the newer silver r55, both are different sound wise but could be to tubes. I did replace the tubes in the yellow with green sylvania from Tube Depot. :despair:

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I've got three r55, two yellow and one of the gray panel extra special edition. The later and one of the yellow ones have a very loud and beautiful sound , one of the yellow older ones is not like that ( comparing it with the others it's almost like it's not alive, i have to use a preamp in order to put it in a mix with the other two. I don't understand why. I exchange tubes between modules with no results , i did that so many times i fucked up one of the tubes ( the shorter one at the right side)

By the way which tube is it so i can get a replace?

Secondly: how can i make that r55 so that it sounds the same as the other ones?

Thanks

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 pm

FatRocky wrote:By the way which tube is it so i can get a replace?
On the left is a 2D21, 5727 or PL21. On the right is probably a 6AK5 or EF95. Check the other R55s for what they use.
this could be a weak tube. if not, did you buy it used from somebody? I've seen bad mods on our products before. Take the front panel off it and compare the PC board parts to a good R55.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:23 pm

metasonix wrote:
FatRocky wrote:By the way which tube is it so i can get a replace?
On the left is a 2D21, 5727 or PL21. On the right is probably a 6AK5 or EF95. Check the other R55s for what they use.
this could be a weak tube. if not, did you buy it used from somebody? I've seen bad mods on our products before. Take the front panel off it and compare the PC board parts to a good R55.

both my old yellow r55´s were bought brand new at BCM. But now that i remember , it wasn´t always like that, they both use to sound the same. I´ll buy the tubes and check the PCB´s.
Thanks

Return to “Metasonix”