Metasonix D-1000 Owners

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

pigeonfarmboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pigeonfarmboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Got the Microbrute to sync up with the D-1000 last night. Good times!
https://soundcloud.com/pigeonfarmboy/d1000brutebigsky

Smokey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Smokey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:23 pm

I still love my D-1000. Unless going for a noise/drone stomp (which it excels at) I usually record the individual outs into Ableton and use either Ableton’s noise gate or Unfiltered Audio’s G8 Dynamic Gate. Both plugins work great! I’m now looking for a 4 channel hardware noisegate to dedicate to the D-1000.

I found this:
http://www.drawmer.com/products/mxpro-s ... h-gate.php
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar98/a ... awmer.html

It seems like it may be an excellent fit for the D-1000. I’m just curious about what is mention in the sound on sound article about the mx40 having balanced outs and ins. This probably is not an issue going from the D-1000 into the MX40 but how about going out of the MX40 into my other modular gear that has unbalanced ins? Do I need to go about finding balanced-to-unbalanced cables? Would this even be an issue?

Also, for the price of the MX40, would it be reasonable to find someone to make me a 4 channel noise-gate in euro rack format?

Thanks!

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:14 am

I usually like the ground noise of d1000, but if I do not want to recorded that:
I use 4 fast env generators
(You can mult those triggers to env generators AND to d1000 triggers in)
AND 4 simple vcas

as noise gate... It is a quite cheap solution AND works fine to me.

This in fact enables to get new percussive sounds if you just triggers vca AND not the drum channel ( you get short percussive noise sound from that untriggered drumchannel especially when you use distortion in a patch).

Smokey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Smokey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:24 pm

sbuge wrote:I usually like the ground noise of d1000, but if I do not want to recorded that:
I use 4 fast env generators
(You can mult those triggers to env generators AND to d1000 triggers in)
AND 4 simple vcas

as noise gate... It is a quite cheap solution AND works fine to me.
Such a brilliant solution! It was staring me in the face the entire time!

Sound like a Quad EG and Quad VCA would be a perfect, and more versatile
solution than a rack mounted noise gate.

Thank you so much. :yay:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:I think I have no choice now. It's just making to much sense to have one. You can read other peoples pro's and con's about gear until your face turns blue. But when you hear something that lights you up thats all that really matters.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Feeling this, too. I heard it, thought meh...but now I'm sat in my layer and thinking...$1M

...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Hainbach wrote:I found another trick to get rid of the 50Hz bump when the tune frequency hits 50Hz, too: I routed Drum 1 individual out to Drum 1 CV in and adjusted CV input, gain and tune accordingly. This way the frequency moves quickly through the offending frequency, so no constant hum is heard. Added bonus: with the right setting, the BD has more punch.

Bode shifter

:75: :75: :75:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:07 pm

I do love the internez back and forth:

"Gotta buy a Tapout T-Shirt to be able to use Metasonix gear."

-------

“It sounds like a cheap Casio keyboard after spilling Dr. Pepper on it, frying half the circuitry, and running it through a Squire bass amplifier.”

Shockingly, some people are looking for things like that."

------

"True, but Red Bull will give you a better Wub-Wub sound for your next brostep remix."

:hihi:

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:59 pm

I just received my D-1000 , i'm super impressed and now I understand what people mean when they say "it sounds weird" .

Here's a super quick demo 10 minutes into my journey with the D-1000 .

https://soundcloud.com/kujo-project/tubes/s-TJYbB

it's noisey and it's humey and you can hear me touching the tubes with my nails by accident .
I am offended.

https://soundcloud.com/kujo-project

FS(EU): Metasonix RK4 / Metasonix F-1

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:32 pm

a question to the owners out there : what are you using to trigger your D-1000 ? the sequencer is cool but I believe an external trigger would be ace! (eurorack or not..)
I am offended.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Kujo wrote:I just received my D-1000 , i'm super impressed and now I understand what people mean when they say "it sounds weird" .

Here's a super quick demo 10 minutes into my journey with the D-1000 .

https://soundcloud.com/kujo-project/tubes/s-TJYbB

it's noisey and it's humey and you can hear me touching the tubes with my nails by accident .

Fucking lovely your quick demo is - a simpel but nice new twist!

:yay:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Kujo wrote:a question to the owners out there : what are you using to trigger your D-1000 ? the sequencer is cool but I believe an external trigger would be ace! (eurorack or not..)
The triggers have to be very short, under 10 ms I think.

The MFB-02 works good, is small and powerful. But I use the Circlon too or Meadowphysics, wich are a bit quirky with the d-1000.

Sometimes the problem is, that sequencers forward the incoming trigger signal to the output and some do not move forwards when the signal is as short as the d-1000 needs it.

I found the MFB to work the best for me by now but try to find more comfortable ways with the circlon or monomes cause I don't want it anymore since I have too many sequencers but not enough space.

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Fucking lovely your quick demo is - a simpel but nice new twist!

:yay:
Thanks man it was just a little something I did pretty instantly , I'm starting to understand it more and loving it further .
Leverkusen wrote:
The triggers have to be very short, under 10 ms I think.

The MFB-02 works good, is small and powerful. But I use the Circlon too or Meadowphysics, wich are a bit quirky with the d-1000.

Sometimes the problem is, that sequencers forward the incoming trigger signal to the output and some do not move forwards when the signal is as short as the d-1000 needs it.

I found the MFB to work the best for me by now but try to find more comfortable ways with the circlon or monomes cause I don't want it anymore since I have too many sequencers but not enough space.
The friend who sold it to me said he used the Beatstep Pro and that it worked nicely with it , apparently they had a firmware update which made it send shorter pulses so it became adequate enough to trigger the D-1000 . Anyone care to confirm this ?
I am offended.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:07 pm

Analogue Solutions Europa
Buchla 200e pulses
Mutable Instruments Grids

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Kent wrote:Analogue Solutions Europa
Buchla 200e pulses
Grids has three outputs though no ?

Has anybody tried it with uStep from intellijel ? maybe 2x uStep would be a nice setup..
I am offended.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:40 am

Kujo wrote:
Buchla 200e pulses

Has anybody tried it with uStep from intellijel ? maybe 2x uStep would be a nice setup..
for me the ustep didn't work that well, the shortest pulse you get out of ustep is still too long for the d-1000. i really really like the zularic repetitor with the d-1000!

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:26 pm

timoka wrote:
Kujo wrote:
Buchla 200e pulses

for me the ustep didn't work that well, the shortest pulse you get out of ustep is still too long for the d-1000. i really really like the zularic repetitor with the d-1000!
Cool i'll look into the ZR , I just got a BSP and the gate pulses are not consistent . it does not trigger the D-1000 in a linear fashion like it's internal sequencer does . I would like to have something like the Trigger Riot perhaps with 4 gate outputs so I can have a dedicated module to trigger the 4 voices .
I am offended.

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:54 am

https://soundcloud.com/kujo-project/metanoise

Here's a live recording : I am using the D-1000 as a sound processor not a sound source.

I've got three sound sources coming into the D-1000 , I did my best to overdrive the machine and get some tube juice out of it :yay: . The three bands are also chewing on some CV .

DSP : Eventide TimeFactor & MaxForLive Convolution Reverb Pro .
I am offended.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 am

timoka wrote:the shortest pulse you get out of ustep is still too long for the d-1000. i really really like the zularic repetitor with the d-1000!
Howdy - Just to resurrect this slightly, I'm specifically curious about the zularic and d-1000 trigger inputs, which requires really short pulses.

Confused, though: I thought the zularic generated gates and not triggers; but you're saying it works better than the ustep - and makes a shorter pulse? That'd be super.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:30 pm

EPTC wrote:
timoka wrote:the shortest pulse you get out of ustep is still too long for the d-1000. i really really like the zularic repetitor with the d-1000!
Howdy - Just to resurrect this slightly, I'm specifically curious about the zularic and d-1000 trigger inputs, which requires really short pulses.

Confused, though: I thought the zularic generated gates and not triggers; but you're saying it works better than the ustep - and makes a shorter pulse? That'd be super.
i sadly don't have the zularic anylonger, but i remember that it spits out the same lenght as the clock it gets. i made an awful lot of tracks with this combo and it worked like a charm!

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:59 pm

timoka wrote:it spits out the same lenght as the clock it gets. i made an awful lot of tracks with this combo and it worked like a charm!
Thanks! That makes perfect sense, and is (of course) completely unmentioned in any of the manual information. That makes the ZR even more interesting. Appreciated!

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:16 pm

ja i mean, i am not a 100% sure and you're right, nothing stated about this anywhere. but i am sure that when i clocked the zr with a very short clock pulse, it worked perfectly for pinging filter...which is also how the d1000 works! i need to buy the zr again!

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:12 am

i i should emphasize that the d1000 reacts very dynamicly to the incoming triggers, so different strength and length of triggers (to a certain point) are very powerful, sadly i don't know of a trigger sequencer where you can dial in different "amounts" per step...something like accent other than the er101, which is just wonderful for that. of course you can patch this with a vca and for example a s&h so every step is slightly different, but nonetheless, a dedicated trigger sequencer with control over volume would be so, ohhhh so nice to have! but since most trigger inputs work with a comparator it would only be useful for pings...

HypatiasAngst
Common Wiggler

Post by HypatiasAngst » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Kujo wrote:
Buchla 200e pulses

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/267524394" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I actually bought a grids just to drive a d1000 ( was looking at the d2000 possibly). To be Honest. the D1000 is a device I don't know much about and i'm still learning / struggling my way through it. Got a chance to rig the Grids up to it last night seems to work fine, seems to like the Grids running in Gate mode more than in Trigger mode.

Track 1 - Korg sq1 driving the cv ins (i think it was driving the drum1 and snare)
Track 2 - grids driving the d1000, with a mobius driving a farting s2000 as a bass kick (grids driving drum 1, snare, and cymbal)
Track 3 - Grids driving the d1000 by itself. (grids driving drum 1, drum 2, and cymbal)

I'll try out the feedback trick with the invidual audio outs back into the trigger in and something on CV.

Any other tips and tricks?

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:04 am

I have started using the Cocoquantus grey outs to sequence the D1000:

True analog bubblebath.

HypatiasAngst
Common Wiggler

Post by HypatiasAngst » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Hainbach wrote:I have started using the Cocoquantus grey outs to sequence the D1000:

True analog bubblebath.
You're not kidding about that bubble bath

Return to “Metasonix”