Metasonix D-1000 Owners

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:33 am

HypatiasAngst wrote:
Hainbach wrote:I have started using the Cocoquantus grey outs to sequence the D1000:

True analog bubblebath.
You're not kidding about that bubble bath
:yay: :tu: :mrgreen:
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:42 am

HypatiasAngst wrote:...
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/267524394" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I actually bought a grids just to drive a d1000 ( was looking at the d2000 possibly). To be Honest. the D1000 is a device I don't know much about and i'm still learning / struggling my way through it. Got a chance to rig the Grids up to it last night seems to work fine, seems to like the Grids running in Gate mode more than in Trigger mode.

Track 1 - Korg sq1 driving the cv ins (i think it was driving the drum1 and snare)
Track 2 - grids driving the d1000, with a mobius driving a farting s2000 as a bass kick (grids driving drum 1, snare, and cymbal)
Track 3 - Grids driving the d1000 by itself. (grids driving drum 1, drum 2, and cymbal)

I'll try out the feedback trick with the invidual audio outs back into the trigger in and something on CV.

Any other tips and tricks?
Great tracks :sb:

Tips and tricks?

- Look for the resonance pots inside (but it can be dangerous :twisted: )!
- Forget the drum machine aspect and use it as three tube BP filters (or a combination of drums and filter)!
- Patch it with your eurorack!
- Don't try to get a snare drum sound suitable for industrial/noise (...) out of the D1000. It is not possible without some help from other modules!
- Enjoy the deepest fattest Bass drum sound of all drum machines instead ;)
- Have fun!
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

HypatiasAngst
Common Wiggler

Post by HypatiasAngst » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am

weinglas wrote:

Great tracks :sb:

Tips and tricks?

- Look for the resonance pots inside (but it can be dangerous :twisted: )!
- Forget the drum machine aspect and use it as three tube BP filters (or a combination of drums and filter)!
- Patch it with your eurorack!
- Don't try to get a snare drum sound suitable for industrial/noise (...) out of the D1000. It is not possible without some help from other modules!
- Enjoy the deepest fattest Bass drum sound of all drum machines instead ;)
- Have fun!
Yeah next step was going to be using it as a mixer / BP filter. For 4 tracks.

- I'm having a hard time getting snare to sound any different than drum 1 or 2. I'm beginning to think I need to check the resonance pots.

- I'm guessing that bass drum is only unlocked via the resonance pots. For now I'll probably just make the thing oscillate deep and gate it through the RK2.

Haha thanks! Working on a 4 track to complete my 8 track metasonix "live" album focusing on tracks that can be done with minimal pre planning.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 am

- I'm having a hard time getting snare to sound any different than drum 1 or 2. I'm beginning to think I need to check the resonance pots.
Resonance pots won't help here. IMHO the only con of the D1000 is that it has no snare drum :twisted:

But I got great snare sounds using it with a Plague Bearer or other strange noise/distortion/... modules.
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

HypatiasAngst
Common Wiggler

Post by HypatiasAngst » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:20 am

weinglas wrote:

Resonance pots won't help here. IMHO the only con of the D1000 is that it has no snare drum :twisted:

But I got great snare sounds using it with a Plague Bearer or other strange noise/distortion/... modules.
Awesome. Last night I rigged the RK2 up to the cymbal sound. But I think it's too clean to start with. Honestly the best ability from the RK2 for me is to crank the volume and send it straight to a cassette for overblown mess.

Pulling this guy back out based on your recommendation http://www.audibledisease.com/product/convulsion_cn-2

mor4sso
Common Wiggler

Post by mor4sso » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Reviving a dead thread I guess, but does anyone have one of these for sale or know of where to get one? Seems they're a pretty rare little item right now.

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 am

mor4sso wrote:Reviving a dead thread I guess, but does anyone have one of these for sale or know of where to get one? Seems they're a pretty rare little item right now.
definitely hard to get but they occasionally pop up on forums...
I am offended.

https://soundcloud.com/kujo-project

FS(EU): Metasonix RK4 / Metasonix F-1

Leonard de Leonard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leonard de Leonard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 pm

I m recording it today for soundbank , I really like it :party:
[video][/video]

jsheaucsb
Common Wiggler

Post by jsheaucsb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 pm

On the hunt for one of these also. Seems like such a powerful instrument

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:49 pm

jsheaucsb wrote:Seems like such a powerful instrument
It's the world's most primitive drum machine :despair:

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:10 am

primate drum machine

[video][/video]

Smokey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Smokey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Does anyone own both the D-1000 & D-2000? Care to compare or give any thoughts or opinions?

From the Metasonix website:

"Unlike the previous D-1000, everything in the D-2000 has been tweaked and maximized and pushed".

In another thread Eric also mentions that the D-2000 "works better and is quieter".

I have the D-1000 and I love it. The "maximized and pushed" part of the D-2000 description has me thinking I'd love the D-2000 as well and that it would have different colors/flavors as to not be redundant. Plus, having a total of 9 vacuum tube drum sounds would be quite awesome.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 am

I love the self contained form factor of the 1000...I'd love the hear them side by side but alas Europe...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am

Smokey wrote:Does anyone own both the D-1000 & D-2000? Care to compare or give any thoughts or opinions?

From the Metasonix website:

"Unlike the previous D-1000, everything in the D-2000 has been tweaked and maximized and pushed".

In another thread Eric also mentions that the D-2000 "works better and is quieter".

I have the D-1000 and I love it. The "maximized and pushed" part of the D-2000 description has me thinking I'd love the D-2000 as well and that it would have different colors/flavors as to not be redundant. Plus, having a total of 9 vacuum tube drum sounds would be quite awesome.
Soundwise the difference isn't that huge, of course except for the noise channels on the D-2000 (a very nice addition although with a bit of attack time) and the HH on the D-1000. The sweet spots are small on both of them, but if you find them -> :love:

And while the D-2000 is less prone to noise and hum than the D-1000, it is in no way high fidelity. But that's part of the fun, isn't it :hihi:

So: Do you need both of them? No, but I like to have both! Although some eurorack modules for the D-1000 might be a nice alternative....
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:32 pm

I have the D-1000, and love it. I really lusted for the D-2000, too, but in the end I went for a modular solution, getting a selection of R modules that together - including two R54 (which are supposedly similar to the oscillators in D-1000/2000) and one RK1 (the noise voice). All in all this standalone Metasonix modular (of 12 R modules) cost me much more than a D-2000, for sure, but also has much more possibilities, while still providing the sound palette of the D-2000. Less portable, too, for sure.
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:36 am

Anybody has a modded D-1000 they'd like to share their experience with ?

I heard you could have control pots over the resonance
I am offended.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:46 am

Kujo wrote:Anybody has a modded D-1000 they'd like to share their experience with ?

It's true.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Kent wrote:
Kujo wrote:Anybody has a modded D-1000 they'd like to share their experience with ?

It's true.
Exactly!

[video][/video]
Link:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Wow, hübsch!

:goo:

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Leverkusen wrote:Wow, hübsch!

:goo:
Thank you/Danke Dir :goo:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Who mods these babies in Europe and how much will it cost me :mrgreen:
I am offended.

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Marmot Audio nodded mine in the UK.
He did a great job bringing the added controls of the inside pots to the outside. And more interestingly making them CVable as well.
Plus the usual roll speed knob. Mine already had ext/int clock so he didn’t have to do that one, but could.
I think it was a few hundred pounds. Neil is a good guy.

EDIT:

Here's the thread Neil made about mine:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=121136

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 am

Neil tweaked mine also. Resonance pots, clock in, roll pots. And he did great job -->recommendations.
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x

Kujo
Common Wiggler

Post by Kujo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 am

Nice one guys, thanks for the recommendation I might hit up Neil to turn this baby into a 2.0 machine. I also only have the clock out model so that could be even better :) :goo:
I am offended.

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:11 am

I bought one here with the clock in mod and a Eurorack built into the top of the case. The power supply was a uZeus tucked under the modules to the left. I've since bought an RKP to swap out the uZues and have currently mounted an R-55, a Pamelas Workout, two mixers and an FM Aid in the top section.

Pam's is always the lid no matter what else is. Having two sequencers running in to the same drums is really handy because if clocking Pams with the d1000, I can start and stop pams to shift notes off the grid that the d1000's switches are on for a swing-shuffle effect. I've also got a MOTM VC Switch module and a mixer I use to switch between beats so I can program Pam's on the fly and either audition fills or completely change the beat if I need to without stopping.

I like to take it to school too. The rails are deep enough inside the case that I can shut it after I take all the tubes out. I then roll them in bubble wrap and place them outta the way of the patch cables. Fits in a backpack or my art bag along with a Zoom recorder and a pair of studio headphones. I need to just get a portable sampler though...

I'm gearing up to do the res pots and/or the CV control over resonance mod in the next year or so. There was also a guy I spoke to when he was selling his that claimed getting 80% of the hum removed from the d1000 by some organ tech in europe somewhere. I'll ask him again who the tech was if anyone wants to know.

I use the FM Aid to make the hum noise much less apparent. It can also add a bit of body to the d1000 without sounding like a different machine. Or it can completely sound like a different machine.

Return to “Metasonix”