Metasonix D-1000 Owners

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 am

CopperHydra wrote:I bought one here with the clock in mod and a Eurorack built into the top of the case. The power supply was a uZeus tucked under the modules to the left. I've since bought an RKP to swap out the uZues and have currently mounted an R-55, a Pamelas Workout, two mixers and an FM Aid in the top section. ....... There was also a guy I spoke to when he was selling his that claimed getting 80% of the hum removed from the d1000 by some organ tech in europe somewhere. I'll ask him again who the tech was if anyone wants to know.
If you and the previous owner went to THAT much trouble to modify a D-1K, it's possible to also power the D-1K from the RKP. It would be FAR quieter than the present setup, and also would eliminate the D-1K's AC output adapter. Just need to devise a small power supply to convert +12 into +50v for the tubes. Not a trivial mod however.

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:05 pm

metasonix wrote:If you and the previous owner went to THAT much trouble to modify a D-1K, it's possible to also power the D-1K from the RKP. It would be FAR quieter than the present setup, and also would eliminate the D-1K's AC output adapter. Just need to devise a small power supply to convert +12 into +50v for the tubes. Not a trivial mod however.
Thanks Eric! I'm assuming by quieter you mean better signal to noise ratio. I'm also just guessing here but... would I need to cut out the installed power socket and it's related components from the circuit then install some sort of step up transformer circuit with a Eurorack ribbon connector to the RKP? Still learning how to design stuff.
:hmm:

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 pm

CopperHydra wrote:Thanks Eric! I'm assuming by quieter you mean better signal to noise ratio.
yes
I'm also just guessing here but... would I need to cut out the installed power socket and it's related components from the circuit then install some sort of step up transformer circuit with a Eurorack ribbon connector to the RKP? Still learning how to design stuff.
No, it would mean cutting traces on the PC board so you can connect +12 where the output of the positive regulator used to be, and run -12v into the negative regulator to obtain -5v.

You cannot take DC and "run it thru a transformer". Making the +50v requires a small DC-DC converter. We make what you need in the form of small PC board modules, they are used on the RK modules. Or you could wire one of these up to the +12 power and set it for about +50-60v output.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/RE ... bZqMQMg%3d

This is NOT a simple mod, okay? If you MUST have it, either send it to us or find a competent technician, PM me if you want us to do it.

Lombre
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Lombre » Sat May 12, 2018 12:53 pm

how many of those d1000 exist?

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 pm

[video][/video]

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 pm

ritchiedrums wrote:[video][/video]
Was just about to post the same.
:twisted:

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Just wanna share this exerpt form my past live performance.

[video][/video]

Using (modified) D1000 mostly as a mixer and band pass filter
(+little bit sounds from the noise channel). Also some mellow feedback loops (with high resonance).
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x

depth20
Common Wiggler

Post by depth20 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:31 pm

The pots on mine are really scratchy. I really don't feel like replacing all of them, but think I have to sooner or later. Any tips on really good pots that will fit so I don't run in to the same problem again?

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:55 am

How much is one of these worth nowadays?

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:59 am

djd_oz wrote:How much is one of these worth nowadays?
It's hard to say, since they come up so rarely. There weren't that many made, and people who have one don't seem to want to get rid of it.
I guess the answer is, "whatever you can get someone to pay for it." :despair:

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:23 pm

depth20 wrote:The pots on mine are really scratchy. I really don't feel like replacing all of them, but think I have to sooner or later. Any tips on really good pots that will fit so I don't run in to the same problem again?
sorry didn't see this before. these pots will work (and are the only version that fits and is still available from a distributor)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Al ... 2FSQ%3D%3D

depth20
Common Wiggler

Re: Metasonix D-1000 Owners

Post by depth20 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:19 am

Are all the pots 1 MOhms?

Return to “Metasonix”