Metasonix D-1000 Owners

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Mine arrived two days ago. The power supply that Ulf from Escape from Noise kindly supplied for free burned out after less than two hours, must have been faulty. Luckily, Schneiders still had one that worked and we could continue rehearsals.

I used the R54 for bds and percussion in my last live band setup and the D1000 is supposed to replace it. I am wondering whether the deep hum I am hearing on Drum 1 is a not closed enough resonance poti or just the noise it makes. Clue that it could be resonance was that on the snare it appeared similarly, but was tuneable until it dissappeared. Have to work on that.

The wall of bass it provides is freightening, the funk it can do is wonderful.

At home, I used it like an R54 and it acided lovingly with a saw from a Malekko OSC.

I get bored by drum machines quickly. I don't see myself getting bored with this arcane piece ever.

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Hainbach wrote:I get bored by drum machines quickly. I don't see myself getting bored with this arcane piece ever.
That's That's because drum machines are just beat boxes. The D-1000 can be so much more. I use mine more as an audio processor than a drum machine.
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:24 am

Hainbach wrote:Mine arrived two days ago. The power supply that Ulf from Escape from Noise kindly supplied for free burned out after less than two hours, must have been faulty. Luckily, Schneiders still had one that worked and we could continue rehearsals.

I used the R54 for bds and percussion in my last live band setup and the D1000 is supposed to replace it. I am wondering whether the deep hum I am hearing on Drum 1 is a not closed enough resonance poti or just the noise it makes. Clue that it could be resonance was that on the snare it appeared similarly, but was tuneable until it dissappeared. Have to work on that.

The wall of bass it provides is freightening, the funk it can do is wonderful.

At home, I used it like an R54 and it acided lovingly with a saw from a Malekko OSC.

I get bored by drum machines quickly. I don't see myself getting bored with this arcane piece ever.
The hum is probably the resonance. The d1000 is a weird, weird warrior. Drones, drums, feedback squeals, and filtering distortions. I really need to mod mine for clock in and resonance pots on the outside. I'm also wondering if as I seen on the circuit board if trig outs for each sound can be made? Could you imagine clocking the d1000 externally, then sending trigs to different drum modules to layer with the d1000? Fuck...
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:48 am

@burnn_out!: Seems to be a combo of both - if the tune frequency hits the 50Hz hum, they multiply. However, with some fine tuning of the CV/Tune knobs and better understanding of the gain structure, I can make it not noticeable. The R54 taught me how rewarding patience can be (and endless piano lessons when I was a child ) :lol: .

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:28 pm

I found another trick to get rid of the 50Hz bump when the tune frequency hits 50Hz, too: I routed Drum 1 individual out to Drum 1 CV in and adjusted CV input, gain and tune accordingly. This way the frequency moves quickly through the offending frequency, so no constant hum is heard. Added bonus: with the right setting, the BD has more punch.

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Tue May 06, 2014 6:20 am

Just ordered mine!

You guys tipped me over the edge. Bastards :lol:

Anyone want to buy my Drawmer Toob EQ soon to go on BST, by some strange coincidence? ;)

pigeonfarmboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pigeonfarmboy » Tue May 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Just went to finally buy a D-1000. They're all gone, website says discontinued......grumble

That'll teach me for waiting.

sbuge
Common Wiggler

D1000 whiniiiiiiing noises

Post by sbuge » Sat May 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Hello. My recent tweakings with metasonix D1000.

Snare (and DR1) channel audio loop (audio out to audio/trigger in)
Modulating snare cv-in with rnd-volts. (those "birdlike singing/whining" noises)

(part 1)
[video][/video]

(part 2)
[video][/video]

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Sun May 18, 2014 12:23 am

Very good. Sounds like something Mort Subotnick would have done with his Buchla, back in the Pre-Cambrian or whatever.

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Mon May 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Not one but two discontinued synths in that video!

My new D1000 joins her friends, happy day:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 pm

My new D1000 joins her friends, happy day:
Nice arrangement!
Have you tried the D1000 with the TM's?

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun May 25, 2014 2:51 am

Fuuuuuuccckkk, i was going to try to order one this week😢😢
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Post by sbuge » Tue May 27, 2014 2:54 am

metasonix wrote:Very good. Sounds like something Mort Subotnick would have done with his Buchla, back in the Pre-Cambrian or whatever.

In fact I have listened recently quite much Wild Bull, Silver Apples, etc. So no wonder that there are some similarities. It is something like angry Buchla to my ears. I must say I really like the slightly distorted squeaking sound what d1000 filters produce.

Crowyote
Wiggling with Experience

Discontinued Disappointment

Post by Crowyote » Wed May 28, 2014 1:45 am

pelican wrote:Fuuuuuuccckkk, i was going to try to order one this week😢😢
Me Too :doh:

Luckily, I've found out what a good drum machine my MURF can be. Even if it's nowhere nearly as cool as the evil yellow.

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Wed May 28, 2014 4:33 am

That evil yellow drum machine is inept the best expanders/ extensions to a euro system one can buy, imo.
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 am

burnn_out! wrote:That evil yellow drum machine is inept the best expanders/ extensions to a euro system one can buy, imo.
Inept? Far from it! :razz:
Why do I get the feeling that one day auto-correct is going to start a war?
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sat May 31, 2014 10:56 am

Guess i'm going to get the last one😃 really excited!!!

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Should be here wednesday😃😃😃😃

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 pm

For the record, we have 3 more D-1000s here, almost ready to go.

I will have to make a couple of part substitutions to finish them. Still can't get the original power connector. They are promised to Perfect Circuit Audio, so contact PCA directly in a couple weeks if you still want one.

Bumply
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bumply » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 pm

I think Perfect Circuit has just ONE MOAR D-1000 available. The other 2 are spoken for. One by me... :bananaguitar: :bacon: :omg: :omg: :metasonix:
Outcheesed by the cheese

pigeonfarmboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pigeonfarmboy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am

I was able to get one of the units from Perfect Circuit. Thanks Eric! Been having lots of fun with it and the kv100.

qstate
Common Wiggler

Post by qstate » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Here's a quick jam after 30 minutes of ownership --- good times.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/178005081" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

malnatim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by malnatim » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:17 pm

what tubes / valves are in your d-1000?
i just bought an old d-1000 (SN029). it sounds great, i'm very happy.
but i was checking to see what valves are are fitted and they're GE 6EM5.
these aren't on the recommended list in the manual though.
anybody know anything about these?
anybody know what discernible difference there might be between the recommended valves?
from the manual...
"The D-1000 uses four type 6CQ8 tubes. 6GH8, 6U8, 6AX8 or 6EA8 should work. 6BL8s might work. NO, 12AX7s WILL NOT WORK!!!"

Image[/img]

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:41 pm

malnatim wrote:i just bought an old d-1000 (SN029). it sounds great, i'm very happy.
but i was checking to see what valves are are fitted and they're GE 6EM5.
Which is impossible. 6EM5s are power tubes and won't work at all in a D-1000. In fact, they will probably destroy the power supply.
anybody know anything about these?
anybody know what discernible difference there might be between the recommended valves?
from the manual...
"The D-1000 uses four type 6CQ8 tubes. 6GH8, 6U8, 6AX8 or 6EA8 should work. 6BL8s might work. NO, 12AX7s WILL NOT WORK!!!"
You should stick to what the manual recommends.

malnatim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by malnatim » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:26 am

thanks for getting back to me.

i didn't fit the tubes. i was asking about them precisely because of what the manual recommends.
i just bought this d-1000 2nd hand and i was concerned the seller might have changed the tubes and replaced with the wrong ones.
i've used / recorded with it once and it sounded great. then i just happened to look at the tubes to see what they were.

looking again this morning, in clear daylight (it's hard to read the codes).
if they can't be 6EM5, they must be tubes the manual recommends as it sounds fantastic. maybe they're 6CQ8.

i'm super happy with the d-1000. the sound is so powerful. i tracked each individual drum out and a v. compressed version of the main out… amazing!

Return to “Metasonix”