R-56 reverb module

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:32 pm

i haven't got R56 yet as AH got run out of them. Are the new butch of R56's grey or yellow?

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:09 pm

FatRocky wrote:i haven't got R56 yet as AH got run out of them. Are the new butch of R56's grey or yellow?
Yeah I'm waiting on the second batch too. Ordered it a couple weeks ago. Kinda hoping to hear something soon.. :despair:
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

ThatFunnyLookinGuy
Common Wiggler

Post by ThatFunnyLookinGuy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:55 pm

I'm waiting as well. When I ordered about two weeks ago, Shawn said that Eric was just waiting for a special part shipment to arrive and that they should be in soon

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 am

:bananaguitar: well i picked up a pair of the mod tanks:

as you can sed they're nice and long - the three springs are actually in 2 connected sections and hung in a triangular prism geometry. one tank barely fits inside a standard 84 hp doepfer case. but there seems to be plenty of room once you get it in the case (and if there aren't any deep modules in the lower row). they rest nicely on the soft-washers that come with the tanks. i plan connect wires from a section of the tank chassis to the holes in the bottom of the doepfer case for grounding.

i'll be patching something up these next few nights and will post again once i've played with it a bit....

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm

numan7 wrote::bananaguitar: well i picked up a pair of the mod tanks:

as you can sed they're nice and long - the three springs are actually in 2 connected sections and hung in a triangular prism geometry. one tank barely fits inside a standard 84 hp doepfer case. but there seems to be plenty of room once you get it in the case (and if there aren't any deep modules in the lower row). they rest nicely on the soft-washers that come with the tanks. i plan connect wires from a section of the tank chassis to the holes in the bottom of the doepfer case for grounding.

i'll be patching something up these next few nights and will post again once i've played with it a bit....

cheers

please don't forget to post a demo with this tank :tu:

numan7

Post by numan7 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 am

FatRocky wrote:
please don't forget to post a demo with this tank :tu:
:hihi: i plan to make a very special demo using each of the R-5x modules x2 (or x4 in the case of R-51 and R-55) once the 2nd R-56 shows up here ([/quote]tomorrow)!! :bananaguitar:

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

IterationAndDiscord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IterationAndDiscord » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:11 am

thebrotherspus just got an r-56 with the exact same problem. How did this end up for you?

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Sorry to jump in, but is there enough power in a Doepfer beauty case or Pittsburg 48 type case just to power the R-56?

Unfortunately have no room in the larger case and wouldn't mind if this was a separate unit anyway.

Anyone also own a Moisturizer? How do they compare?

Damn, I really want one of these....

Thanks

IterationAndDiscord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IterationAndDiscord » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Mine was plugged into a pittsburgh 90 case that was full with other modules. Seemed to power the module fine.

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Cool, thanks.

Now I just have to put some things up on BST, cause I'm sure I'll regret not getting this when the price goes up to 1k in 3 years...

EDIT

Arg, color me a douche, should have read page 2 to see this question already asked! :doh:
Sorry. Guess I just got too excited, ordering one today after hearing the demos. Now I have to sell more shit.

Disappointed to hear the the new manual doesn't continue the experiments of the TM-7 manual (best manual ever)!

But if anyone can confirm that it worked in their small case, I'd be grateful. Seems like it's more probable than definite at this point.

numan7

Post by numan7 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 am

:party: finally getting around to testing out the dual R-56s... they both power up ok in a 6U doepfer case that also has WMD Synchrodyne + expander, two MME + expanders and two Compressors along with an Expert Sleepers ES-1 and a pair of 10-turn 'big knob' active attenuators installed.

i am only listening to the raw accoustic sounds of the small springs tonight, with various self-feedback patches going (things like: wet-only outputs into audio signal inputs, attenuated cycling envelopes into drive and feedback amt cvs, etc)... very nice indeed! :)

i do plan to get those 18" mod tanks situated and stable inside the doepfer case tomorrow night... and them try to knock out a decent demo sometime this wknd... :deadbanana:

cheers

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:23 pm

I got my 18" mod tank yesterday, first impression, I think I may prefer the small doepfer one. Just different, as expected, and depends on what you're looking for.
Not sure what's close or equivalent to the one Doepfer uses?
Was curious to try one with a "Short" decay, but couldn't find any with the correct input impedance.

numan7

Post by numan7 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 am

thetwlo wrote: Not sure what's close or equivalent to the one Doepfer uses.
i also have accutronic n8eb2e tanks (with 6" springs). and they're ok.

but i think like the larger tanks a little better with the R-56s (and i actually i prefer leaving the R-56's integral mini-spring plugged in, and have the mini and large springs in parallel).

which large tank did you try (belton, accutronix or mod) did you try, btw?

cheers

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:49 pm

I got the MOD 9EB2C1B, using in parallel.
I really like it, and would say it sounds better than the using the Doepfer tank.
But I do like the clangy small Doepfer(Belton) in parallel, at lest prefer it for some things. And I haven't done an A/B, just love the option of changing out the tanks or getting a switch.
I have a Tellun Neural Agonizer with 2 of the large Accutronics, so appreciate the contrast of the small tank in the R-56.

Might be cool to add another tiny one? The connectors would need to be changed but they offer Medium(2) or Long (3) not sure which the R-56 uses.
Also, I only see the 150 Ohm input impedance available.(hence, the delay on new ones?)

numan7

Post by numan7 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:47 pm

thetwlo wrote:just love the option of changing out the tanks or getting a switch. 
:tu: yes, a switch would be great... or maybe a panner into the spring tank inputs (w/ left=small, right=large) would work.

here's my pair of large mod tanks inside a 6U doepfer case - they barely leave any room for modules (i had to move the synchrodyne to the upper row, even though it's pretty thin):

cheers

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:36 pm

beautiful!
I also want to try sticking a contact mic to the tiny springs case as I hear them rattling, might be interesting mixed in, or feeding back.

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 pm

IterationAndDiscord wrote:thebrotherspus just got an r-56 with the exact same problem. How did this end up for you?
Hi, sorry I took so long to respond. I haven't been back to this thread for a while. I did end up changing out the 100k resistor to a 470k. I found that it helped a little, but was still experiencing much of the same problems. In the end, I found an old reverb tank from an organ lying around. The impedances are not correct and it's a lot quieter, but it allows me to use the r56 without any loud pops or clicks. I can even cv the feedback without any loud pops. There are two downsides, however- as already mentioned, the reverb is much quieter now and I seem to get a lot more interference (buzzing, high pitch squeals, etc.). I don't mind that much though, as I tend to use the r56 as a lofi FSU module anyway, so I'll take those sounds any day over the loud pops and clicks.
I'll keep you posted if I discover any other remedies for this issue.
Also, I don't want to discourage anyone from buying an r56. They are truly amazing! Even with the issues I've had, it's still my favourite reverb. :tu:

numan7

Post by numan7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:18 am

:agonizer: while i completely love the 1st R-56 module i received, i had *thought* (until 10 minutes ago) that my 2nd unit was sounding pretty damned shitty (:bang: no feedback at all, no reverb at 100% wet - just ugly crackles, pops and filter-resonance-sounding noise - except with input gain cranked up all the way, where it was still distorted and weak compared to the 1st unit)...

:metasonix: *but* then i just tried swapping the left and right tubes (since they're both 12ct8) -- and now it sounds just as beautiful and feedback-rich as my 1st unit does (hoo-ray)!!! :sb::party::goo:

cheers

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 am

perhaps a bad contact?
these tubes seem pretty cheap, I wonder if any sound much different? any manufacturers/brands worth trying?
Last edited by thetwlo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 pm

thetwlo wrote:these tubes seems pretty cheap, I wonder if any sound much different? any manufacturers/brands worth trying?
Don't bother. I almost cornered the market for 12CT8s, am the only manufacturer to use them since the 1960s, and can state with reasonable certainty that all of them were made by GE, regardless of the brandname on the carton. I will be amazed if you find one made by another firm.

botstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by botstein » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Any recommendations for external tanks?

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

I've liked the Accutronics 9EB2C1B.

I recorded a long A/B with the A-199 and R-56 the other night. Later on I discovered that I'd forgotten to bypass my outboard reverb unit (which serves as a A/D converter on the way into my sound card) so the recording has absolutely no value to anyone . . . fail.

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:38 pm

This is a quick message that the Pitts Cell 90 case is able to power my R-56, even with a couple of other modules plugged in.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:07 pm

i have a Doepfer A-199 . Would you suggest i should use the small tank that it has with the R-56?

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04 pm

I seem to recall the impedence being different. You could always try it and see . . .

Lately I've been using the R-56 so much as a gain boost its reverb aspect has been feeling a little neglected. It does astonishing things to square waves.

Return to “Metasonix”