[AVAILABLE] stroh optogate lpg pcb, panel, kit frac

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Re: [AVAILABLE] stroh optogate lpg pcb, panel, kit frac

Post by Brian2020 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:56 pm

soup wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07 pm
I think you're screwed! (Sorry :hihi: ) Whoever designed that panel made a mistake. Maybe you could try something silly like epoxying the jack to the panel though I don't know how well that would hold up. Personally I would just attach the panel with one standoff and leave the other hole empty, it's not ideal but it'll work ok with such a small pcb. I've mounted a few things that way when I've had to.

The bit station and the downlow filter are my favorites of the stroh designs over at modular addict but they're all pretty great.

For the Optogate what value cap did you use for C5? I can see in your picture that it’s not an electrolytic cap (which makes sense) like my kit is indicating that I should use (10 uf electrolytic, same as the 2 by the power header) even though the pcb shows that a bipolar cap should be placed in that position.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 am

I used 10u, an electrolytic should be fine there, it looks like ac coupling, you can get the orientation from the schematic. I thought the original bom was easier to follow, might as well post it here too...
bom.txt
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 pm

soup wrote:
I think you're screwed! (Sorry :hihi: ) Whoever designed that panel made a mistake. Maybe you could try something silly like epoxying the jack to the panel though I don't know how well that would hold up. Personally I would just attach the panel with one standoff and leave the other hole empty, it's not ideal but it'll work ok with such a small pcb. I've mounted a few things that way when I've had to.

The bit station and the downlow filter are my favorites of the stroh designs over at modular addict but they're all pretty great.
I’m interested in building the Bit Station and Downlow Filter. It would be awesome to eventually build a full row of Stroh modules. Do you have a favorite Stroh VCO you could recommend, or at least one that’s on the easier side to build. Some of them appear quite complex.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 pm

The ultrafade is wonderful. It's not that complex but it is quite big so you need either a deep case or a wide panel. There isn't really a simple vco.

Oddly enough I've been playing around trying to learn pcb layout and made a version of the stroh pico vco the other day that will fit behind 1 frac. If it actually works I'll ask Dustin if I can share the gerbers.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 pm

Sorry I haven’t been around much to help with questions. In the middle of a big move. I plan to be around more in the next couple of months. @Soup thanks for helping out! Also you can put out anything you like based on my schematics. Most should be posted freely in the DIY forum, and a few in the old Stroh-Docs file.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:46 pm

On the cap questions, I use 22uF X7R TDK 2.5mm lead spacing MLCC caps almost exclusively. Of course electrolytic will work too, and you can get audio grade there.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 am

soup wrote:

I ordered some other metal standoffs, they’re noticeably thinner. That gave me just enough room to be able to secure the banana jack for CV1. As far as I can tell that fixes my last problem, now I just need a few parts to wrap things up (ferrite beards, 0.1 5p red socket/friction lock, 0.1 4p red socket/friction lock, sockets for the vactrols) . Next up, Stereo Outs and maybe Bit Station.

Thanks again Soup and Dr J3RK for your help.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:10 am

apologies to Brian and others about the Excilitas vs Xvive labelling issue-- we are working on getting that all cleaned up in our BOMs and website--- really wish we could still get the Excilitas ones but ....
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:34 pm

synthcube wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:10 am
apologies to Brian and others about the Excilitas vs Xvive labelling issue-- we are working on getting that all cleaned up in our BOMs and website--- really wish we could still get the Excilitas ones but ....

Thank you for doing that, I can imagine it’s tough keeping everything straight when certain things are periodically changing at random times across the product BOMs. I’m about ready to place another order for some CGS stuff and a Stroh Stereo Output. The sale couldn’t have come at a better time! I’m also eyeing the the Stroh VCO’s in frac format, I wish there was a Pico VCO/panel available. If you have any VCO Core pcbs laying around I would definitely be interested in one or two.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”