Dark Star Chaos info

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Dark Star Chaos info

Post by bunkerspreckles » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Hello

I just got a semi-functional Blacet Dark Star Chaos (powers up, but no output) that someone else DIY'ed, and I'd like to try and get it going.

I have the basic manual from the Blacet site which diagrams the panel wiring, but doesn't include the rest of the assembly, parts list etc included in the full manual which i'd like to refer to.. I haven't been able to find a pdf online, I'm wondering if anyone around here has a copy?

Thanks

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Blacet is usually pretty good about providing documentation if you ask nicely. He doesn't post his schematics etc. online for intellectual property reasons, but since the module is discontinued I don't think he would have a problem sharing the info with you. Regarding the repair, the first place I would look is the SN chip.

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for the tips :tu:

I've read that the SN chip is sort of notorious for popping out, i'll check it first thing when i get the dark star in the mail.
And also will see if Blacet can hook me up with documents.

ARY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARY » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 am

Hi guys

i m puting together a kit of the dark star chaos rev 2, but some how my instructions sheet is missing...i got to put everything together by looking at a picture of a mounted one i found online. but i cant do that with the caps...
does anyone have the parts list and the positions

cheers

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:20 am

Hi ARY

I have a PDF of the DSC layout on my computer at home, I don't remember if it
has part values on it or not, but will check and get back to you after work.

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:35 pm

PM'd you some stuff

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Dark Star Chaos info

Post by soggybag » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:36 am

I have a Dark Star and I think I still have the manual in print form. Let me know if your still looking and I’ll dig this up. I could send send some pictures of the module if that would help.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:16 am

I sold my Dark Star packed it up and mailed it with manual this morning! I completely forgot about this thread. I’ll contact the buyer and ask if they would be willing to post pictures.

In the meantime I dug this up over at Electro-Music.
CC654395-A3D0-4355-A9DD-3A6DC728F8B8.gif
CC654395-A3D0-4355-A9DD-3A6DC728F8B8.gif (19.39 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Looks like Thomas Henry has similar project here: https://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_He ... _main.html

The thing about the DarkStar is it’s based on the SN76477N Complex Sound Generator Chip. The module is really just an interface for this chip.ibthought these would be impossible to find but it looks like you can still get these: http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/994/complex ... r-chip.htm

analogdrummer
Common Wiggler

Post by analogdrummer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:14 am

soggybag wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:16 am
I sold my Dark Star packed it up and mailed it with manual this morning! I completely forgot about this thread. I’ll contact the buyer and ask if they would be willing to post pictures.
I scanned it. PM me if you'd like a copy.
Music:
morganhendry.bandcamp.com
bewareofsafety.bandcamp.com (drums/keyboards)
thelateriteroad.bandcamp.com

Blog:
morganhendry.wordpress.com

a.dighera
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a.dighera » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 am

soggybag wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:16 am

In the meantime I dug this up over at Electro-Music.

CC654395-A3D0-4355-A9DD-3A6DC728F8B8.gif

Looks like Thomas Henry has similar project here: https://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_He ... _main.html

The thing about the DarkStar is it’s based on the SN76477N Complex Sound Generator Chip. The module is really just an interface for this chip.ibthought these would be impossible to find but it looks like you can still get these: http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/994/complex ... r-chip.htm
Oh wonderful! thanks so much for digging far better than I, Ive been reading Thomas Henry's awesome site on breaks at work, it did seem that they are conceived very similarly. Really appreciate the schematic, that looks like what Im seeing here. I have a busted decay pot that I have to track down so this is very helpful, thanks again! :sb:

soldiersdisease
1-Post Wiggler

Post by soldiersdisease » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:51 pm

I have two of these REV A boards and chip, but I've long since lost the parts list or build instructions - would love to get a scan of these documents. Bought them from Blacet way back when (mine have the smaller chip with adapter board) and thought they were lost for years...

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:42 am

Best place to ask is Synthcube. They now own the IP to Blacet designs.
They've also said they will be releasing the schematics forthe Blacet lineup so there's no need to go elsewhere.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:48 am

soldiersdisease wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:51 pm
I have two of these REV A boards and chip, but I've long since lost the parts list or build instructions - would love to get a scan of these documents. Bought them from Blacet way back when (mine have the smaller chip with adapter board) and thought they were lost for years...
Hey man! Nice you found those boards. Yeah, as mentioned, you can reach out to Synthcube as they own all this now & should be able to eventually help you out. However I'm not sure where they are, progress-wise, with going through everything... particularly discontinued designs.

I did post some Rev B scans over here, which might be of some help: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=236334

Feel free to text me if you need any other info...

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”