Any Attenuverters/Polarizers in frac ?

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Acid Mitch
Common Wiggler

Any Attenuverters/Polarizers in frac ?

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:51 am

Modular grid and the mighty Google don’t seem much help on this.
Surely there must be attenuverters/polarizers in frac ?
What are you guys using ?

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:05 pm

There's no dedicated attenuverters that I'm aware of; they're all built into other signal processing modules.

Blacet Splitter/Buffer/Mixer does it, albeit only on one channel per each section, like the old Blacet Mixer and Splitter modules.

Personally, I use the recently discontinued Blacet Mixer/Processor, and the Bananalogue CP3.

I also have a couple of signal inverters built into my MiniWave expanders, which I can then feed to my attenuators.

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:54 am

I DIYed mine from Ken Stone mixer PCBs.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Acid Mitch
Common Wiggler

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 am

diophantine wrote:There's no dedicated attenuverters that I'm aware of; they're all built into other signal processing modules.
Well I guess that explains why modular grid didn’t come up with anything.

diophantine wrote: Personally, I use the recently discontinued Blacet Mixer/Processor,
I didn’t know the Mixer/ processor could invert stuff. I thought it just added offsets. Will have to get mine fixed.
Adam-V wrote:I DIYed mine from Ken Stone mixer PCBs.
Which ones ? There’s a few different Ken Stone mixers.

nikmis
my last name backwards

Post by nikmis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:05 am

I diyed two based on fonitroniks attenuverting mixer, just using perf board
http://www.modular.fonik.de/pdf/f-mixer-rev2.pdf

fracmonkey
JB or not JB, that is the question.

Post by fracmonkey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am

Blacet should probably re-do the Mixer Processor in 1.5" module...although the SBM has two inverters: one on mixer, one on splitter. Also there is one on the Filthy Filtre.

Acid Mitch
Common Wiggler

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 am

nikmis wrote:I diyed two based on fonitroniks attenuverting mixer, just using perf board
http://www.modular.fonik.de/pdf/f-mixer-rev2.pdf
I like the multifunctionality of them.

fracmonkey wrote:Blacet should probably re-do the Mixer Processor in 1.5" module.
Great idea!!

fracmonkey wrote: ..although the SBM has two inverters: one on mixer, one on splitter. Also there is one on the Filthy Filtre.
Aye, SBM is next on my shopping list. Looks quite handy.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:08 pm

fracmonkey wrote:Blacet should probably re-do the Mixer Processor in 1.5" module...
Just want to say... if Blacet does this and keeps the LEDs, I hope they keep the separate red/green LEDs for red/green colorblind folks like myself!

The guy designing the UI for Mutable Instruments modules has been soliciting feedback from mutants like me (there's a thread in the Eurorack forum) and it reminded me just how awesome it is having those two separate LEDs on the Mixer/Processor.

Honestly, my only complaint about the Mixer/Processor is that I only have one of them....

Acid Mitch
Common Wiggler

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm

SBM and dual vca arrived yesterday. :party:

The SBM is great. I’m surprised a bigger deal isn’t made about it. Every Frac rack should have at least one.

Synthnerd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthnerd » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:34 pm

diophantine wrote:
fracmonkey wrote:Blacet should probably re-do the Mixer Processor in 1.5" module...
Just want to say... if Blacet does this and keeps the LEDs, I hope they keep the separate red/green LEDs for red/green colorblind folks like myself!

The guy designing the UI for Mutable Instruments modules has been soliciting feedback from mutants like me (there's a thread in the Eurorack forum) and it reminded me just how awesome it is having those two separate LEDs on the Mixer/Processor.

Honestly, my only complaint about the Mixer/Processor is that I only have one of them....
The MX2040 was one of the very first Blacet kits I built so many years ago. Something interesting I noted about the two separate LEDs is that on two occasions, after rearranging modules, one of the mixer processor LEDs would stay lit up and nothing worked. I found in both cases that I accidentally plugged the power cable in offset one pin. While it didn't cause any harm, I find it interesting that it acts as a sort of indicator that the PS is not hooked up correctly.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”