Blacet EG1 - Cool Trix

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Babaluma wrote:some cool ideas!

i'm pretty sure i've used my EG1 as a low pass filter before, by feeding the signal into the sustain in jack. i shall have to try it again. if it can slew and LPF then it should theoretically be able to envelope follow?
Sending the audio through the sustain-the sustain amount then almost acts like a waveform width control strangely, while the decay acts as the filter.

Following in this vein, one can send audio through the gate input in asdr with sustain at full mode-the attack/decay controls then become audio rate controls. This responds differently depending on the waveform strangely: with a squarewave, they become pulsewidth controls; when I fed in a sawtooth, it became a pitch control (giving you a audio rate sub-divider/octaver or whatever.)

Anyone know the theory behind this (I understand why the pulse width would change, but not the pitch depending on waveform)?

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:52 pm

My guess would be the sensitivity of the EG-1s input, you really only need to look at it cock-eyed to fire off a cycle. I can't remeber if it did this before I banana'd it, but, I can trigger it in AD mode by tapping the end of the cable.

I bet with a square you get 1 (or 2) EG-1 cycles per waveform cycle, whereas with a sawtooth its firing off multiple times as the waveform ramps.

Wow... you really do a very differant reaction depending on the waveform! Great stuff.

Just to clarify Sir Ruff, you say "sustain at full" is this 100% CW or CCW?

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 am

this is cool, some amazing patch ideas.

i just ordered another EG1, so i'm imagining two of them with EOC and shape switch mods is gonna be pretty cool!

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:09 pm

DGTom wrote:Just to clarify Sir Ruff, you say "sustain at full" is this 100% CW or CCW?
For the sawtooth>audio>gate in, I have the sustain all the way down.

For the square>audio>gate in, the position doesn't seem to matter as it only changes the pulse width.

Just listening (not looking at waveform)-it does sound like the sawtooth waveshape does change along with the pitch.

For audio>sustain CV-I have sustain all the way down in AD mode.

to be honest, I can't tell if mine is working correctly half the time given how it often half-triggers or starts warbling... I would think it was the gate in, but it's not consistent, so hard to tell :huh:

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Re: Blacet EG1 - Cool Trix

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:27 am

Muff Wiggler wrote: 3 - Exponential ADSR Phases - Just patch the inv_out jack into the cv_in for any of the A,D,S or R phases, and this will give the effect of an exponential response for that phase.

I usually patch the inv_out jack back into the decay_cv_in jack, this gives an exponential response to the decay phase. the decay phase is the one phase in the ADSR cycle that the ear responds most strongly to, so this causes the entire envelope to 'feel' more exponential and 'snappy'. The decay knob setting itself gives you a lot of control over how much of this effect is balanced with a natural decay. Anyway I like it enough that I wired the inv-out jack directly to the decay-cv-in jack, through a panel mounted switch to turn it on and off. now I can use this without wasting a cable, and i can still use the inv out jack for something else.
The regular output multed and fedback to CV ins will yield a Logarithmic phase.
I put 3-way switches normalled to Attack & Decay for selecting Log/Lin/Expo for these stages independently.
This way you can change shapes on the fly for performance/convenience.
This makes it a lot cooler as an LFO, or chained envelope with the EndOfCycle pulse mod.
If you want finer control between lin-expo or lin-log, try patching your feedback through a bipolar mixer like the Blacet MixProc.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I put 3-way switches normalled to Attack & Decay for selecting Log/Lin/Expo for these stages independently.
Whoa :woah: That's awesome! :omg:
I wanna do that too :yay:

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 am

Bumping an old thread to try and make sense of my EG1...

How do you get it to generate a 'standard' adsr shape? I don't know if mine is faulty, but in ADSR/LFO mode the decay pot doesn't seem to do anything, but it does in AD mode. Is that normal?

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 pm

Sorry, if I am asking the obvious: Do you use a gate (e.g. from a keyboard) signal?

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:20 pm

That's not normal. If you have sustain at zero and latch a voltage to the gate input are you only getting a ramp lfo?

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:39 pm

e-grad wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 pm
Sorry, if I am asking the obvious: Do you use a gate (e.g. from a keyboard) signal?
Yes, using a gate (or clock from binary zone)

Yes there is a ramp LFO when inputting a voltage with sustain at zero. Playing around with it a bit more, it all seems a bit off, as the LFO keeps going until the sustain knob is at 5 o'clock or thereabouts which seems a bit too far to me, but maybe that's normal. And the decay knob does have some effect, but only up until the 8 o'clock position. It just doesn't sound like a natural envelope.

I just checked the manual and noticed there's a trimmer that adjusts the decay response, I'll have to take the module out of the case and check that as maybe someone played around with that.

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:57 am

Looks like it was the trimmer - I turned it fully in the opposite direction and now the envelope sounds a lot better, more natural. I think the decay trimmer was set in the linear position, so a linear envelope going into a linear VCA made it sound odd.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:39 am

Cool!

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”