blacet from the backlog

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

blacet from the backlog

Post by fluxmonkey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:46 pm

taking refuge in the basement during lockdown, working on the backlog (i've got a couple years worth), found a couple Blacet VCO kits!
blacetVCOs.jpg
I have a LOT of VCOs, but these are still my go-to favorites - so musical, and they FM so nice. I'm also really appreciating his care and attention to detail... component numbering that flows logically across the board! component designators placed so you can still read them after the component is placed! Nice to remember one of the guys so responsible for my DIY development.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Re: blacet from the backlog

Post by werock » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:55 am

Having tried to layout some PCBs myself, I can appreciate the art of a great layout!
I wonder how many other Blacet kits are out there waiting to be built...

ryangaston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ryangaston » Sat May 09, 2020 11:19 am

Oof those Blacet VCOs are honestly some of the best I've ever used. I don't personally have a Frac system but those oscillators alone have tempted me to get started about a million times over.
"I have always been outside and I've chosen to remain there."
--DB

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Sat May 09, 2020 6:35 pm

I have an LFO that I've assembled the board for. Need to order an SPST switch to use for the frequency select mod.

Have one of the new envelope generators that I haven't started and that's it.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Mon May 18, 2020 10:40 am

I still have a TM and a Filthy Filtre (pcb only) in my backlog.

Untill last sunday I had a Time Event Modulator in my backlog. A nice built and a unique module.

It is so sad, that there won't be any new Blacet modules. Most underrated designer of synth circuits.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:06 am

was looking at the VCO panel/board combos on synthcube (couldn’t afford the whole kit) and was wondering if there were any parts rarities with these kits, tempcos or whatever that would make it hard to complete if i was sourcing my own parts.

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 pm

chachi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:06 am
was looking at the VCO panel/board combos on synthcube (couldn’t afford the whole kit) and was wondering if there were any parts rarities with these kits, tempcos or whatever that would make it hard to complete if i was sourcing my own parts.
I don't know what synthcube is selling. The picture of the ones they have is different than the diagram they have of one. What makes it even weirder is the ones I have don't match either. I think I have the version right before the last version (which I THINK is the one the diagram is of).

So you might ask which one is being sold.

That being said I think the only thing that might be hard to get are the pots and the slide switches (if that is the one they are selling). I will look tonight when I have time.

Jay S.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:46 pm

chachi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:06 am
Tempco is available from Synthcube.
2N4391 (TO-18) is out of stock at Mouser until September.
LS318 (TO-71) might be difficult to track down.

I don't know what part#s are used for the pots and switches, but otherwise everything else should be available at Mouser.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:52 pm

emmaker wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 pm
I don't know what synthcube is selling. The picture of the ones they have is different than the diagram they have of one. What makes it even weirder is the ones I have don't match either. I think I have the version right before the last version (which I THINK is the one the diagram is of).

So you might ask which one is being sold.
I wondered the same. I ordered a kit last week, and asked which one, but haven't heard back yet.

I have originals and Rev.B ones here. There's a couple BOM differences, but very minor.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 pm

The (panasonic?) pots with the built in bracket that blacet used are going to be hard to find. I have built 2 modules from partial kits where I used 9mm alphas instead. They will fit and have worked fine for a couple of years but definitely are less sturdy than the blacet ones. If you get knurled shafts blacet style knobs are available.

I bought my vco used so don't have the original docs but maybe if synthcube are selling these by themselves they can publish the BOM so folks know what they're in for?

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:34 pm

I have Rev A 2100s which is a single board wired to the jacks and switches.The image with the 2 slide switches is a Rev B which is complete different.

Other than what was mentioned above here are some comments. Not going to go through the whole BOM and figure it out but the only other weird part is the MAX365 which I looked up and people have it.

Yes I think that pots are Panasonics. Use to be able to buy them at either Mouser or Digikey but they don't look like they are stocked any more. Never was able to find the 1M pots used but all the other values use to be available.
Trendsetter has the LS318s.
Knobs like Blacet used might be hard to impossible to find. But there are others you can use.
Attachments
VCOmanualBasic.pdf
Rev B.
(763.43 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VCO2100user.pdf
Rev A.
(110.79 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:26 pm

emmaker wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:34 pm
I have Rev A 2100s which is a single board wired to the jacks and switches.The image with the 2 slide switches is a Rev B which is complete different.
They are the same circuit, but rev.B is spread out over 3 PCBs (and, consequently, different panel components & hardware).

My old manual is no-Rev, but the PCBs are Rev.A (I'm guessing there was minimal change). Comparing it to my Rev.B manual the only changes (other than panel components & hardware) are:
- MAX365 was replaced by the equally-available MAX362.
- One of the three 2N3906 PNP transistors was changed to a different PNP transistor which is just as easy to find.
- 1 or 2 resistor value changes (I think one was 10k -> 15k).
Last edited by diophantine on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:27 pm

edit

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:07 am

I ordered a PCB/panel combo from Synthcube (that's all they had left), they sent me the build docs after I asked for them, and what they sent me is for the Rev B, so I assume that's what will turn up.
I'm pretty sure the VCO was out of stock for a while before John released the Rev B, so would be surprised if any new Rev A's turned up.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 pm

yeah i ordered the last set, will report. i asked in my order if they please please please might look for the pots but they just shipped the order w/o responding.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:30 pm

Still waiting for my "legacy" VCO kit to ship. I'm guessing it is rev.B... looks like rev.B came out in Feb 2014.

Thought about just getting a PCB/panel set, but there was just something really special about assembling one of John's kits...

KingOfTheTKBs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KingOfTheTKBs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:51 pm

I ordered a few of the kits from SynthCube as well. They arrived last night. It looks like we got a Rev B PCB set and a Rev A panel.

I think it will take a little creative work with the Dremel, but we can probably get them together using panel mount jacks and switches.

For pots, I think Bourns makes one that is similar.
Nick Liebrecht

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:00 pm

KingOfTheTKBs wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:51 pm
I ordered a few of the kits from SynthCube as well. They arrived last night. It looks like we got a Rev B PCB set and a Rev A panel.
:hmm:

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”