WANTED: Paia 8700 programs

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

sajtron
Learning to Wiggle

WANTED: Paia 8700 programs

Post by sajtron » Sat May 09, 2020 4:07 am

Hi, I just recently bought a Paia 8700 keyboard to use with 4700/8700 modules.
I am looking all the programs made for the 8700 computer. I would accept a copy on cassette or WAV file, which ever is easier.
You can also reach me directly at: info @ sajtron . com
And if anybody has the manual of how to use the 8700 computer and the software manuals too that would be great as I'm new to using the Paia modular but have been collecting for years.
I have some of these already on the Paia docs, but it's daunting just looking at that code and entering it into the little keypad.
I would like to hear peoples experience using these programs, even recordings done using these programs.
Also if anybody has any information in wiring up the Paia modular using and Apple II, Commodore PET, or Kim computer to control it.

Here are all the programs I have found so far with photos too:

Polyphonic:
MUS 1.0 - A 16 Voice polyphonic synthesizer with software transient generators.
PMUS - Polyphonic synthesizer multi-track recording/playback, compositional programs up to 16 voices.
POLY - Polyphonic synthesizer program including software transient generators. Supports 16 ouput channels.
POLYSPLIT - Splits the Keyboard into two polyphonic synths with up to 8 voices each.

Sequencers:
SEQUE 1.0 - A general purpose monotonic sequencer.
POLY SEQUE - A 4 voice sequencer.
ORGASMATRONIC - A fast programming sequencer that plays keys held down (up to 8) in sequenc up or down.

Composers:
PINK TUNES - Composes 4 part harmonies.
PINK FREUD - Composes 4 part canons.

Special Effects:
SHAZAM - Multiple keyboard split and chorusing.
ECHO - Like tape echo, but can be with different voices.

System Firmware:
Piebug - System Monitor; POT-SHOT - cassette interface and MUS 1.0 synthesizer operating system.
MUS-1 PROM - Contains keyboard reading routine, 16 ch. of Quash drivers and more.

Others:
DRUMSYS - An 8700/EK-2 computer drum operating system.
Kim Music Package - Excellent control system for Paia synths using the KIM.
APPLE II DOWNLOADER - Allow programs written on the Apple II to be saved in the Pot-Shot format. Ready to load directly to an 8700.
Paia 8700 programs 1.jpg
Paia 8700 Programs 2.jpg
Paia 8700 Programs 3.jpg
Prgrams booklets 1.jpg
Prgrams booklets 2.jpg

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: WANTED: Paia 8700 programs

Post by KSS » Wed May 13, 2020 4:15 am

Get John's Friendly Stories AboutSynthesizers from PAIATalk forum. And the 8700 Computer/Controller Assembly And Using Manual

For basic 8700 use, you have to enter -at least- one variable every time you power it up. something 30, for the EGs.
And you may want to add a switch to turn off the incessant click of the KBD refresh. SPST, just break the circuit, and restore it when you want audible keypress feedback.

edit:
Found this I had written on an old post it (used to be stuck on the 8700):
D00-Run
0E8-display->19
C0-enter->EE
30-enter->1d
01-enter->1d

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 pm

There is also a book "THE SOURCE Book of Patching and Programming from Polyphony" it has a lot of patches, setups and software from PAIA.

I typed in the Pink Tunes code. I do not know the accuracy of the code since I never assembled it. The file is really pink-tunes.asm but MUFFs doesn't accept the asm extension. This is not a stand alone program you'll need the base code loaded into the 650X if you really want to run it.
pink-tunes.txt
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Jay S.

sajtron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sajtron » Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 am

Thanks for the pink-tunes.txt. What base code do I need. And how do I load it into the 8700? How can I load in Pink-Tunes.asm file? How can I copy it into cassette so I can load it in? I just got the 8700 keyboard so not sure how to use it yet.
I do have the Source Book of Patching and Programming, but was hoping somebody has all these programs type in already on cassette or text to convert to a cassette somehow.

Also I have the Friendly Stories as well already. But I do not have the 8700 User manual if you can point me to a link where I could find it. I did post of photo of the manual of it in my post, so I know it's out there. There is also manuals for all the 8700 software programs which I am also looking for.
Has anybody had success running Pink Tunes or any of the other softwares on the 8700?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu May 14, 2020 5:09 am

Start here.
Keytest program and instructions
https://www.paia.com/talk/viewtopic.php ... db0526b4de

The 8700 build guide isn't up yet here:
https://www.paia.com/talk/viewforum.php ... db0526b4de
Ask Scott to post it for you. He runs the PAIA Talk forum.

Then download the 8781 Quash manual on page 4 -even if you don't have a Quash. Near the end of the manual are instructions about how to use the 8700. But start with the keytest link above first.

Then download the DAC build and use guide.

The Source book is also available for download here.

Scott's your goto guy.

Just to be sure, you do have the synthesizer modules in a road case to go with your 8700 keyboard? If you have only the keyboard in road case, you'll need at least a DAC to get anything useful from it. This isn't entirely true, there are some things can be done with an 8700 completely by itself. And a little more with some added circuitry in the road case itself. But nothing -that I know of- you can just plug in and use, or make sounds with on a stock 8700 by itself..

And yes, to answer your question, I -and many others- did run most of the programs listed, including Pink Tunes, back in the 70s.
Last edited by KSS on Thu May 14, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Thu May 14, 2020 2:09 pm

sajtron wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 am
Thanks for the pink-tunes.txt. What base code do I need. And how do I load it into the 8700? How can I load in Pink-Tunes.asm file? How can I copy it into cassette so I can load it in? I just got the 8700 keyboard so not sure how to use it yet.
I do have the Source Book of Patching and Programming, but was hoping somebody has all these programs type in already on cassette or text to convert to a cassette somehow.

Also I have the Friendly Stories as well already. But I do not have the 8700 User manual if you can point me to a link where I could find it. I did post of photo of the manual of it in my post, so I know it's out there. There is also manuals for all the 8700 software programs which I am also looking for.
Has anybody had success running Pink Tunes or any of the other softwares on the 8700?
I think the base code was called MUS-1.

As far as the other stuff I can't help you out on that.

Jay S.

Rob_C
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Rob_C » Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 pm

8782A Digitally encoded keyboard, 8781 QuASH, and 8780 DA (pics are from someone's Ebay auction).
The grey cable from the DA in the last picture would plug into the 25 pin connector on the keyboard (first picture)
d3.jpg
asfwef2.jpg

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”