[AVAILABLE] Blacet VCO2100 + build thread

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

synthcube
you will be assimilated

[AVAILABLE] Blacet VCO2100 + build thread

Post by synthcube » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm

The Blacet VCO2100 is the first of the Blacet modules that we are re-releasing, with availability as a PCB+Panel set or a full kit. We've already had a number of people purchasing the pcb+panel sets, so we are starting this thread for build narratives, pictures, questions, troubleshooting, demos, mods, etc. We hope these Blacet build threads end up as helpful to DIY builders as other threads have been for us over the years.

If you care about this sort of thing, synthCube kits for Blacet modules will use Blacet original stock parts while supplies last. We are converting the Blacet BOMs to a format we can use for individually labelling each parts bag, like we do for our other kits.

We had a (very) lengthy debate on the issue of documentation et al. Those of you who bought from Blacet in the past will remember that John was quite protective of his documentation; paper copies sent with kits and assembled modules, no pdfs etc. Consistent with more of the 'standard' for diy now, we are going to make the original PDF files openly available and encourage DIYers to use them to bring more examples of DIY Blacet module designs to life.

Pretty soon here, we will launch the Blacet DIY parts store, where we will have any part required for a Blacet build on-hand for ala-carte ordering.

If you have a Blacet VCO2100 and are willing to post a few pictures, a demo, a fun build story from the past etc-- that may help get the thread activated while people starting their builds get organized with parts etc...

hope to see some great examples here ....

Blacet VCO1200 User & Assembly Manual 2020 Scan.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [AVAILABLE] Blacet VCO2100 + build thread

Post by KSS » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:44 pm

This is great news!

Heads up that the notice on pg 14 is at odds with what you've shared here.

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 pm

My VCO panel & PCBs arrived here today. I'll probably stuff the board as much as I can with the parts I have on hand and then see what that leaves me to source. But I expect the LT1013 & LS318 to be tricky - I know I haven't got any of those.

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:13 pm

werock wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 pm
My VCO panel & PCBs arrived here today. I'll probably stuff the board as much as I can with the parts I have on hand and then see what that leaves me to source. But I expect the LT1013 & LS318 to be tricky - I know I haven't got any of those.
I'm still waiting on my boards (planning to build 3), but have already been looking through to see what is available where, still looking, but for now:

LT1013 is available at mouser
https://www.mouser.se/ProductDetail/Tex ... MVQw%3D%3D

LS318 seems to be available from Micross at GBP 3,72 each, but they have a 25 GBP minimum order:
no direct link, but search: https://shop.micross.com/shop-default.aspx

2N4391 (TO-18) will be restocked at Mouser 25 Sept, but costs a whopping 12,88 euro each !?
https://www.mouser.se/ProductDetail/Int ... 1FRA%3D%3D

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Thanks for the links.

It looks like there is an alternative 2N4391 at Mouser, lead free I think @ £2.18. Maybe the other one is so expensive as it's not RoHS.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... U4m0%2Fg==

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 pm

oh, great. thank you. not sure how I missed that.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 pm

When searching 2Nxxxx transistors, don't forget to search PNxxxx also.

Beware of 'magic part' thinking. Although the 4391 does have better specs than its '92 and '93 cohorts listed on the Datasheets. It's being asked here to very quickly short out a capacitor. There are MANY transistors that will work in that duty.

alltransistors.com is a good resource for parametric 'equivalent searching.

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Very nice. Does anybody have a source for the pots?
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 pm

+1 on the pots, hopefully synthcube will offer those with this a la carte service (which is super exciting)?

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:08 pm

for now, just email us for what you need for pots-- we have a few boxes from the original Blacet stuff, we just have not put them into the inventory system yet---
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Has anyone got a part number (Mouser or anywhere) for the little black switches on the front panel? The choices are mind boggling.

uniqview
Learning to Wiggle

Post by uniqview » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Just in case useful, here is the web page of the original equipment manufacturer of the LS318:
http://www.linearsystems.com/product-se ... mber=LS318
Applying the LM3900 and CMOS for amazing things in SDIY 8-)

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 pm

werock wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:44 pm
Has anyone got a part number (Mouser or anywhere) for the little black switches on the front panel? The choices are mind boggling.
Looking at the PCB images in the build doc, they appear to be PCB mount right angle SPDT slide switches. They have three leads and two mechanical mount points outside these.

Start by measuring the distance between the pins and then the distance between the outer mounting tab holes. This will give you slide increment -distance between pins- and the body size of the switch -since the mounting tabs are at the end of the body.

From this, you should be able to quickly drill thourgh the many options to see if they have something suitable in their stock.

The final gotcha is to be sure the switch actuator is long enough to protrude through the panel and be activated by your fingers. This is the single most often seen problem in generally stocked slide switches at distributors like mouser and digikey. They tend to stock the cheaper varieties which wil tend to have shorter actuators. John probably had the switches specially made in this regard. That's common practice nowadays for slide switches.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”