Synth Tech from Blacet...

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:38 pm

ltjohnrambo wrote:The only thing I would change is adding a square wave output, or replacing the sine wave with square.
Really?!
I would take sine over square any day.
You can always run it through a bit crusher to square it up.

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 am

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
ltjohnrambo wrote:The only thing I would change is adding a square wave output, or replacing the sine wave with square.
Really?!
I would take sine over square any day.
You can always run it through a bit crusher to square it up.
+1 on the sine over square.
I just started rebuilding a Frac system and this is high on my list, looks very cool.

ltjohnrambo
Common Wiggler

Post by ltjohnrambo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

What do you guys have against harmonics? :)

I think the bit crusher trick would only work if all the oscillators had individual outputs.

Still really loving this module you guys.

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:21 pm

I got mine today! It's very nice and I'm sure it will see a lot of use. Many thanks to John B, Paul S and all concerned.

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 am

I saw an email from JB on AH today saying there were 5 units built and in stock so I pulled the trigger... can't wait.
All the audio samples I've listened to are very cool, but has anybody had any luck using it as an LFO? It seems like it would make a really interesting modulation source. I couldn't find any info as to how low the clock can be driven but I assume it can operate at subsonic frequencies?

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 am

Not that low, maybe 10Hz or so?

robotmakers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotmakers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:45 am

The F340 is great! Now, how about that F350?

Cheers,
Roger

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 pm

I've spent a few days with the 340 now and wanted to post my impressions...

---overall, very cool
---output is overall kinda low and is significantly lower with higher densities to allow for voltage swings. It becomes much more useful when run through a scaling processor, I've got the output going through channel D of a Mixer processor and it helps a lot, I'd go as far as saying it's a must to have a scaler after this module. The output is bipolar, so this helps bring the low swing above zero.
EDIT: I'm playing around with it more and the scaler doesn't have any affect on the audio output level... but it's very useful for modulation.
---I'm finding it more useful as a modulation source than as a sound source, a lot of this has to do with my previous point and lot has to with it just being a great mod source
---I'm leaving it parked on the sine setting most of the time, particularly when using it for audio. Not digging the saws for audio yet except in 2x density.
---the lower density settings are more useful to me so far
--- the Chaos BW input is incredibly useful

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Comments per your comments:

a) There is an 'AGC' algorithm so that adding more waves goes not ever cause clipping. Also, the overall amplitude is SPREAD dependent. So, yes, the output amplitude will vary in loudness.

b) this loudness will be more noticeable with Sine over Saw

c) Saws sound best (to me) with SPREAD < 1/2 way up, just a dash of CHAOS. Use as monster bass lead through a nice Moog VCF.

emergencyofstate
Synthesist

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 pm

paults wrote:Comments per your comments:

a) There is an 'AGC' algorithm so that adding more waves goes not ever cause clipping. Also, the overall amplitude is SPREAD dependent. So, yes, the output amplitude will vary in loudness.

b) this loudness will be more noticeable with Sine over Saw

c) Saws sound best (to me) with SPREAD < 1/2 way up, just a dash of CHAOS. Use as monster bass lead through a nice Moog VCF.
^ I noticed that the first 5 minutes with the module! When listening to the saw, just a smidgen of Chaos sounds better to my ears than zero chaos. 8_)

come to think of it...i think that may mirror my life preference.

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I also noticed that it's output is very low compared to the Blacet VCO. I compensate for this by passing it through the Blacet I/O module and using the input gain to boost level. I've set up a lead patch using the E340 (saw) & Blacet VCO saw & pulse outs mixed through an MOTM 1490 filter and then into Bugbrand DD3 VCA/Drive for a gig tonight. Immense sound! I'm using a midi keyboard & have the mod wheel set up to modulate the spread amount on the E340, which is wonderfully expressive through the MOTM filter and Bugbrand distortion.

robotmakers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotmakers » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:08 pm

I've gotten good results using the F340 saw output to drive a Miniwave. It'll only handle a little spread, but nicely thickens up the sound.

Cheers,
Roger

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 am

robotmakers wrote:I've gotten good results using the F340 saw output to drive a Miniwave. It'll only handle a little spread, but nicely thickens up the sound.

Cheers,
Roger
This sounds interesting. Just got mine in the mail. Will have to try this soon.
Definitely prefer the spread/chaos effect on the saws, but love the sound of the FM on the sines!
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 am

I guess, this note on the F340 Cloud Generator
**** Sorry, out of stock. ******
http://www.blacet.com/

indicates that the current batch is sold.

Any idea when new stock will be available?

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 am

i think that was it. blacet sent out an email recently saying that there were very few units left, and to get in quick. i don't know if there are any plans for another batch.

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:37 am

The board itself has power connectors for both 12V and 15V and can run on either, I think the only difference btwn the Frac and Euro versions is the faceplate. You could always just grab a Euro version and pop it into your frac setup... the mounting screws wouldn't align perfectly (unless you have a DIY ghetto wood case like me) but it should be otherwise plug and play.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 am

To my best knowledge Paul is still selling kits.

However the kit price plus Schaeffer panel would have been more expensive than the Blacet version. That's way I was eying at the Blacet E340.

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:50 am

e-grad wrote:To my best knowledge Paul is still selling kits.

However the kit price plus Schaeffer panel would have been more expensive than the Blacet version. That's way I was eying at the Blacet E340.
FPD panel for my morphing terrarium build was $55; i can't find the pricing for PCB-only from paul, and you still need pots/switches/jacks (& labor), but it think it's close. Blacet was a little lower cost than DIY route but not a huge savings.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:00 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:FPD panel for my morphing terrarium build was $55
My panels are usually a little cheaper. Possibly bcs I don't fill the engravings with ink. It's not necessary using black panels.
fluxmonkey wrote:i can't find the pricing for PCB-only from paul, and you still need pots/switches/jacks (& labor), but it think it's close. Blacet was a little lower cost than DIY route but not a huge savings.
The kit price is 270USD incl. S&H to Germany IIRC. It's not a big saving that's true. OTOH these kits are not really DIY since they are lacking the fun of populating the board and soldering parts.

fracmonkey
JB or not JB, that is the question.

F350 Morphing Terrarium

Post by fracmonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am

Sent on the Blacet List yesterday:

"We are now accepting orders for the Frac version of Synthesis Technology's Morphing
Terrarium.

The link is down at the bottom of the "Modules" section on the store page:

http://www.blacet.com/store2.html

These are not kits and use mostly surface mount components, so they are built in
minimum order batches. This limits availability in contrast to our regular modules
which are "off the shelf"."

fracmonkey
JB or not JB, that is the question.

Post by fracmonkey » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:45 am

Any hands-on (ears-on) experiences with the Deflector Shield and Resampling Mini Delay?.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 am

Update:

I reveived pc boards from the assembler today. So early next week I can ship these to Blacet (E340 and E350s).

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 am

both F560 Deflector Shield. and F580 Resampling Mini-Delay are listed on blacet's order page as "coming soon"... how soon is soon?
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Well, I'm not the person to ask (cough).

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:41 pm

I just ordered the Blacet Morphing Terrarium module (also a super VCA) - really looking forward to getting this in the rack.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”