Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

i'll never get over how tits this filter sounds.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes, my favorite, too! Along with the Bugbrand SV filter. One nasty, one elegant.

You can use the Borg as a great LPG, as an fx (great distortion), as an oscillator (screeeeeaming), and as a VCA (waste of space). And - as a FILTER! :sb: :sb:

/Palle
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

synthcube wrote:anyone know the precise diameters for panel holes for the standard 3.5mm jacks vs the bananas? I know the 3.5mm holes can be reamed out pretty easy, but curious about what the actual delta is
It depends - different jacks have different diameters. I use the same banana jacks as Bugbrand uses, which are solid brass - more dififcult to solder, but last a lifetime. I usually have to drill an 8mm hole for them. Usually the minijacks are around 6mm. But it varies. I've got best results with this kind of drill:

But sometimes this is enough:

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Final Filter - half size :banana:
The downsizing requires giving up the EG ouput and the switch for LFO/AD mode.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 pm

so has any one successfully converted a JAG? i just was examining it today and realizing that the banana sockets would create too much of a gap between the board and the faceplate, thus causing the LED's, single pot, and single switch to not make it through.

Any suggestions? I pretty much *need* this thing with nanas as it eats conversion cables for breakfast which really upsets my workflow.

reignbear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by reignbear » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 pm

dogoftears wrote:so has any one successfully converted a JAG? i just was examining it today and realizing that the banana sockets would create too much of a gap between the board and the faceplate, thus causing the LED's, single pot, and single switch to not make it through.

Any suggestions? I pretty much *need* this thing with nanas as it eats conversion cables for breakfast which really upsets my workflow.
only one i know of was done by the bugmaster. i remember in an older thread he said it looked grimm, but eventually did one for indexofmetals (which he sold when i was of course broke)...

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:42 pm

reignbear wrote:
dogoftears wrote:so has any one successfully converted a JAG? i just was examining it today and realizing that the banana sockets would create too much of a gap between the board and the faceplate, thus causing the LED's, single pot, and single switch to not make it through.

only one i know of was done by the bugmaster. i remember in an older thread he said it looked grimm, but eventually did one for indexofmetals (which he sold when i was of course broke)...
right, did a bit of searching and saw Tom post about it, seems he had to somehow cut into the PCB a bit to fit the jacks! i just e-mailed him to enquire further, but also did some of my own brain-racking on the matter and thought... maybe it'd be easier to somehow sand down the nana jacks... they only need another mm or so and then everything will be gravy. i thought of replacing the LED's, switch, and pot, but they are all in the very dense SMT section of the board and i'd rather not mess around over there.

has any one every successfully shortened a nana jack? ive got the rapid/bug style ones. easiest way?

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I have a JAG Tom converted to bananas . He did cut away the pcb at the edges . I will post some pics when I ca . It might be a few days though .

reignbear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by reignbear » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:07 pm

dogoftears wrote: has any one every successfully shortened a nana jack? ive got the rapid/bug style ones. easiest way?
dremel?

i wonder how short you could go? since this is one of the bigger headaches for baananafy-ing certain modules...
Last edited by reignbear on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm

radams wrote:I have a JAG Tom converted to bananas . He did cut away the pcb at the edges . I will post some pics when I ca . It might be a few days though .
pretty please!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Haven't done the JAG but yes, that sort of thing has been done. Here's the solution. :party:

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm

I also have a JAG bananafied (I believe) by Tom Bugs, which I acquired from ekofisk. Here are a couple of (lousy mobile) pictures:

/Palle

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm

wow. this is going to be a mission.

BananaPlug- the problem with your method is then the JAG will be held to the FP with just one floating pot and a tiny switch. that just don't seem right.

Otoskope- wow. just wow. i don't know if i have the heart to slice up my JAG like that. BUT it does allow the jacks to still provide support for the board...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks Palle - that's exactly the same as mine .
Tom warned me that it was not an elegant solution !
Well worth it though . Quad sines are a nice pairing !

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:32 pm

dogoftears wrote:BananaPlug- the problem with your method is then the JAG will be held to the FP with just one floating pot and a tiny switch. that just don't seem right.
I see what you're up against. If you can somehow attach the board to a bracket, the banana plugs can secure the bracket to the panel. Though I like the way Palle's was done.
:hmm:

Chaotic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chaotic » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:13 pm

My first frac modules bananafied. :banana:
I have a 3U rack with frac modules. They have been sitting under the work bench since I started with Serge. Had 9U but had to sell some of it to finance the Serge.
Finally I have decided to bananafy them and let them talk to Serge.

Chaotic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chaotic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:15 pm

Done

And here are audio from the patch on the pic. Self playing, no hands involved :hihi:
http://soundcloud.com/chaotic-morphs/fr ... -frac-rack

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:29 pm

These aren't conversions, but I love this thread. Thought I'd drop in some of the pics I have up right now. :party:

Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:58 pm

If you, like me, want to use the fantastic yellow tube-modules from Metasonix (R- and RK-series) together with your bananafrac, I found a very simple way to convert them. Take a look at the HOW-TO here:
viewtopic.php?t=163640
(Don't want multiple threads, but I thought many of you don't read the Metasonix subforum)

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”