am2140 res filter coming-- in frac and dotcom/MU

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

synthcube
you will be assimilated

am2140 res filter coming-- in frac and dotcom/MU

Post by synthcube » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:06 pm

This is the analog metropolis am2140 resonant filter clone of e u systems from rob keeble.

we have PCBs and frac panels in stock (1u wide) configured for banana or traditional jacks. Kits and assembled modules are coming. It's not loaded on the webstore yet, but will be soon.

This complements our frac am4023 filter, and will be followed by the am3320 filter as well.

This is a simple demo using a tri wave out. More demos and pictures to come!
http://soundcloud.com/synthcube/am2140- ... lter-synth
Last edited by synthcube on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:31 am

The resonance on that thing is crazy! Emu modular stuff has always been something that interested me in the abstract, but they're so rare and so expensive that I had long ago abandoned the idea that I'd ever actually own any of it. I'll definitely be ordering one as soon as it goes up on your site.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am

Nice! :sb:
Thank-you, synthcube for bringing all this cool stuff to the Frac format. :hail:
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

eMu Resonant Filter - AM2140 - how to use it

Post by MuadMusic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am

I've got the original technical catalog for the eMu modular synth. They have a boat load of filters available. The AM2140 resonant filter is a 12db/oct state variable filter (there are some still available at Synthcube). It features vc Q as well as output mixing of the LP/BP/HP outputs. "The Resonant Filter is an audio filter with an output capable of producing virtually any two pole pass characteristic. "
Per the manual, this filter was design as a "post processor" to a synth voice. It was possible in the eMu to have a number of them that could be in series or parallel. There was also a "Resonant Filter Bank" controller which could drive the frequency (and Q) of all of the 2140s from a single input.
"The Eµ 2145 Filter Controller allows voltage control of the frequency of two banks of Eµ 2140 Resonant Filters. Each bank of filters may contain from one to four 2140 units connected in any series or parallel combination. The bank center frequency will be determined by the 2145 controller while the formant shape will remain unchanged."

My question is "has anyone done any work with two or more of these filters, used in the architecture described above?

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Re: am2140 res filter coming-- in frac

Post by MuadMusic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:35 am

The new DOTCOM panels for the AM2140 have arrived! I finally completed the first one in DOTCOM format. (photo below)

Here's a tip, if you're wiring up a power connector that is something other than the MOTM power connector, be SURE that the ground pads (2 center ones) are BOTH connected to ground. Otherwise you get a really strange effect with DC offsets and what sounds like a slew/lag when you move the frequency control:
IMG_5513.JPG
Attachments
IMG_5511.JPG

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Re: am2140 res filter coming-- in frac and dotcom/MU

Post by synthcube » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:42 am

lovely! thanks for sharing it!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by MuadMusic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:31 pm

One other technical item. Here are the wiring details I used wiring the PCB to the panel:
AM2140dotcomPanelWiring.png

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: eMu Resonant Filter - AM2140 - how to use it

Post by e-grad » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:43 am

MuadMusic wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am
[...]"
Per the manual, this filter was design as a "post processor" to a synth voice. It was possible in the eMu to have a number of them that could be in series or parallel. There was also a "Resonant Filter Bank" controller which could drive the frequency (and Q) of all of the 2140s from a single input.
I wonder whether similar filters are used for the internal mixing within the EMU SP-1200

"For example, you’ll find that it makes sense to assign “thumpier” sounds like kicks and bass notes to channels 1 and 2 so that all of their high end gets rolled off, while mid-heavy sounds like snares and hi-hats end up somewhere in the middle with some of the high end rolled off. Just by setting everything up to play back properly, you’re already doing a large amount of natural “mixing” inside the machine via the analog filters and different channels. Combined with the different sampling qualities mentioned above (straight or sped up/pitched back down), it’s like the music in the machine just “mixes itself” and comes out sounding right."
Quoted from the link above.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:05 pm

The sp-1200 was a different filter chip and while the am2140 actually sounds interesting the filters in the sp were pretty pedestrian, more like preset tone control settings.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:31 pm

soup wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:05 pm
The sp-1200 was a different filter chip and while the am2140 actually sounds interesting the filters in the sp were pretty pedestrian, more like preset tone control settings.
Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean the actual filter topography but the idea using a resonant filter on every single track.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:12 pm

The filters in the sp-1200 weren't resonant.

Oddly enough my very first module and my introduction to modular was a blacet dual filter to run my sp-1200 through. I promptly picked up a second one so I could run most of my tracks through a resonant filter! That system and the sp are long gone but I thankfully picked up another dual filter a few years ago after I got back into frac. It's still one of my favorites.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:36 am

soup wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:12 pm
Oddly enough my very first module and my introduction to modular was a blacet dual filter to run my sp-1200 through. I promptly picked up a second one so I could run most of my tracks through a resonant filter! That system and the sp are long gone but I thankfully picked up another dual filter a few years ago after I got back into frac. It's still one of my favorites.
Thanks for drawing my attention to Blacet's Dual Filter. I have two (?) of them sitting in my project box.

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by MuadMusic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:29 am

I finally got around to producing a video with the AM2140. If you watch it, give me some feedback on it.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”