Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by Jaypee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:31 pm
I've been digging deeper into the Assimil8or with the new update. I notice it's a little laggy when switching to different screens but it's not terrible. I thought I saved a preset yesterday, but I lost it. That was likely user error haha. Otherwise no major issues. Using my Cirklon DMUX, a Shuttle Control (controlled by Cirklon), and the Vector I've found setting the global gate delay to approximately 1.4 ms works well for these, maybe slightly higher for the Shuttle Control. I'm curious to see what others have found.
I plan to dd an Assimil8or and a dmux to my rig to handle drum samples. I'd be interested to know more exactly the delay between triiger send from d-mux and sample played by Assimil8or.

Many thanks!!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm
quaidscape wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am
Hello, all!

CIRKLON USERS: For those of you sequencing with a cirklon, what is your method for ensuring a specific 'slice' is played on a step in P3? I'm finding wide ranges of note values will play the same slice and even when I get settled on a note which plays a different slice, it doesn't play that slice consistently, and will actually switch on it's own. I'm also not sure what the simplest way to tell WHICH slice is played in a longer, noisier sample. there seems to be no indication, making it harder to track down which note corresponds to which slice. Having these trouble regardless of 5v, Keyboard, and Major settings, they all seem to turn out a mess on the keyboard. Anyone using CK patterns to trigger the assimil8or? Any help appreciated!

I mentioned my global gate delay settings above for the Cirklon. If you are getting different samples on the same step increasing you gate delay should help more consistently trigger the same sample. Without the delay you are catching the rising edge of the voltage and small discrepancies on when the voltage is read will ultimately create a different value and trigger an unintended sample. I think it also depends on what you are using between the Cirklon and the Assimil8or. In my case it's a DMUX or a Shuttle Control.

Thanks Sinamsis,

so THIS is the timing issue everyone was struggling with before the update. Delays solve this problem, then. Currently using the gate outs from a cv breakout box, but hope to acquire the DMUX in time.

So, If you wanted to set up the triggering of zones across the keys C, D, E, F, G, A, B in a single octave, how would you go about it? Are there specific voltages from those keys?

If it isn't obvious, I'm just beginning to explore using the cirklons CV outs, and assimil8or is one of very few modules that I currently own (the others are a basic lfo, amp, and oscillator). :slapfight:

thanks!

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Curious as to everyone's thoughts on this unit now that something like the Squid Salmple is out on the market and is cheaper? I currently have the Erica Synths Sample Drum and love it and would like to add more sample capability into my euro as I use my 7U as a sort of "groove box".

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 pm

So... They did it. SP-1200 reissue by rossum electronics just announced. :party:

So does this mean I can get one for free? :mrgreen:

Edit: Also, I just want to take this opportunity to address all the haters.... Ha hA, a-ha ha ha HA! :lol:
"We are a way for the universe to know itself" - Carl Sagan

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Kummer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 pm
So... They did it. SP-1200 reissue by rossum electronics just announced. :party:

Edit: Also, I just want to take this opportunity to address all the haters.... Ha hA, a-ha ha ha HA! :lol:
I don’t think it is a re-issue. I think they are acquiring a limited supply of used original units and then running them through a re-build and update process to create a 35th anniversary edition.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm
Kummer wrote:

I don’t think it is a re-issue. I think they are acquiring a limited supply of used original units and then running them through a re-build and update process to create a 35th anniversary edition.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:51 pm

ignatius wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm
mritenburg wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm
Kummer wrote:

Yep, 35th anniversary renovation of existing units, not a re-issue.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Didn't look closely enough, no wonder they are being sold for $7,500.... BUT maybe they see the demand and will hopefully do a new one. Oh well...

:doh:
"We are a way for the universe to know itself" - Carl Sagan

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Kummer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm
Didn't look closely enough, no wonder they are being sold for $7,500.... BUT maybe they see the demand and will hopefully do a new one. Oh well...

:doh:
I just don't know why one would waste the time. There are already two ongoing projects based on this samplers that I know of, and one at least is nearing completion (the Isla SP2400). That one has the flavor of the 1200 with modern amenities. And honestly the Assimil8or can cover some of the similar territory. So I just don't see the motivation for Rossum. Haha I guess I'm a hater.

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 am

you can trade in your own SP1200 and rossum will upgrade it, but no guarantee that you will receive (exact) your unit back
-but i agree you can get very very close to the SP12/00 & Drumulator sound with the right settings, up & down pitching and ofcourse an added SSM2044 filter or two

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Can we come back to the subject pls?

Anyways found a FATAL BUG on the Assimil8or related to the mute/solo which is buggy as hell and will crash the assimil8or every time when you try to mute/solo the last channel.

@rossum please fix asap ppl use the mute/solo and it's just not working, at all!

peripatitis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by peripatitis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 pm

funqpatrol wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Anyways found a FATAL BUG on the Assimil8or related to the mute/solo which is buggy as hell and will crash the assimil8or every time when you try to mute/solo the last channel.

@rossum please fix asap ppl use the mute/solo and it's just not working, at all!
this is weird, it should have affected other used as well, no?
Perhaps they'll check and confirm it..
Henry Fronda:
"this is where they put you, when they don't like what you say"
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=226390&start=75

https://soundcloud.com/peripatitis

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:42 pm

peripatitis wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 pm
funqpatrol wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm

this is weird, it should have affected other used as well, no?
Perhaps they'll check and confirm it..
I just tried it and my Assimil8or froze when I tried to toggle the last slot with the Data 1 knob. Using the Data 2 knob to toggle the last slot did not crash my Assimil8or. I did have to cycle the power on my cabinet when mine froze. I'm on Firmware v2.0

it's easy to replicate this bug:

1. Press pan/mix
2. Use Data 1 to scroll down to the solo/mute section
3. Scroll to the last slot under solo/mute
4. Press Data 1
5. Crash

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 am

mritenburg wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:42 pm
it's easy to replicate this bug:

1. Press pan/mix
2. Use Data 1 to scroll down to the solo/mute section
3. Scroll to the last slot under solo/mute
4. Press Data 1
5. Crash

Thanks yes indeed working with the data2 but setting with data1 will crash the Ass8

Return to “Eurorack Modules”