SSF zero point oscilator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
LunaticSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: Hamburg

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by LunaticSound » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it. I didn´t realize HOW crappy the recording was, for some reason the right channel is also muted... Well, I dropped my phone into a bowl of soup yesterday, that might be it. Haha.

The drums are indeed a real drum break timestretched with some samples on top.

All the stuff the melody line is doing is modulation of the ZPO and Filter FM of Ripples and the Dipole.

Mabuse
Common Wiggler
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 am

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by Mabuse » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

as i can see the zpo and rubi side by side in your case... good pairing?
guess the zpo isnt as clean as the rubi but might add some grid…
what is your impression?

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: Hamburg

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by LunaticSound » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:45 pm

I am having a lot of fun over here indeed.

Well, I just uploaded my Rubi sine to your other thread, so I feel kinda dumb now, but still I feel like the Rubicon has a clean and orderly feeling to it, whereas the ZPO is a little more buzzy and I just love its saws. I don't feel the need for clean sines like you do, though, even if I see how they would be nice for demanding FM programming.

I bought the ZPO not because of anything it can do, in fact I am still trying to understand what exactly the Zero Point does, but just because it's sound really gave me the feels.

Right now I am using Rubi to modulate the ZPO mostly, but that is, cause the ZPO is new, I think. Another big plus for the ZPO is its Sync circuitry, which works great with any incoming material. The Rubi sync is a little more needy.

What really makes them a nice combo, is how they are very different. Together they give you many different styles of FM, wavefolding, an octave switch, wave morphing, great sync, many different waveforms, the symmetry and the ZeroPoint VCA.

I hope you guys don't mind if I attach the evolved version of this morning's patch:


Mabuse
Common Wiggler
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 am

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by Mabuse » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm

yo, fettes brett!
thanks for the demo.
as you already pointed out for fm purposes i do like clean sines because it opens up a different palette of sounds.
but that is just one aspect. mostly i combine different techniques. also adding wavshapers before feeding a sine into a vco for fm.
generally i like to have control over dirt,noise, distortion and decide by myself where (in my patch) and how much i want to add. peace

dulla
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm
Location: minneapolis

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by dulla » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi does anyone know how to calibrate this unit? Many thanks!

User avatar
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2021
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by Pighood » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Just saw one in person for the first time...black....one of the prettiest modules I’ve ever seen.
*phnert*

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by guigui » Wed May 20, 2020 4:20 pm

I think I didn't understand something about ZPO. How many simultaneous outputs can I have with it? I mean, I can output A, B and morph at the same time?

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by NoLegs » Wed May 20, 2020 6:24 pm

You can output all of the outputs at the same time.

Juvenal
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:57 am

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by Juvenal » Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 am

The raw tone of the ZPO is so beautiful to me, even before getting into the crunchy FM fun. Very rarely have I heard an oscillator that made me feel this way. I really enjoy the rough, organic and almost sandpapery textures that I can get without any effort! ZPO and Falistri are now best friends in my rack - best complex oscillator I've ever used.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:14 pm
Location: copenhagen

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by tommygee » Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 am

Juvenal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 am
The raw tone of the ZPO is so beautiful to me, even before getting into the crunchy FM fun. Very rarely have I heard an oscillator that made me feel this way. I really enjoy the rough, organic and almost sandpapery textures that I can get without any effort! ZPO and Falistri are now best friends in my rack - best complex oscillator I've ever used.
Interesting - what other VCO's do you have in your case/have you used before ? I'm considering the ZPO - but are worried that it will be to metallic for my taste. Already got a CS-L, that can go into the metallic territory (and other more warm places as well).

Juvenal
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:57 am

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by Juvenal » Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 am

tommygee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 am
Juvenal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 am
The raw tone of the ZPO is so beautiful to me, even before getting into the crunchy FM fun. Very rarely have I heard an oscillator that made me feel this way. I really enjoy the rough, organic and almost sandpapery textures that I can get without any effort! ZPO and Falistri are now best friends in my rack - best complex oscillator I've ever used.
Interesting - what other VCO's do you have in your case/have you used before ? I'm considering the ZPO - but are worried that it will be to metallic for my taste. Already got a CS-L, that can go into the metallic territory (and other more warm places as well).
I don't think the ZPO is that metallic - the CS-L does metallic in spades though and I've never really been impressed by the demos I've heard of it because it becomes aggressive in a way that doesn't appeal to me. ZPO can be aggressive, but the underlying character shines through and is really beautiful imo. There's a video on YouTube by 'Joey Blush' which demonstrates this: though it's getting pumped with some crazy modulation, it still has that rough texture that I love.

I've owned DPO and Verbos HO, both which I sold for different reasons. In my rack now the Falistri / ZPO is my only analog combo, alongside an E352 Cloud Terrarium and Manis Iteritas. ZPO perfectly fits the hole in my rack for rounded analog sounds, which can always easily become FM madness with a few knob turns.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:14 pm
Location: copenhagen

Re: SSF zero point oscilator

Post by tommygee » Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 am

Juvenal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 am
tommygee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 am
Juvenal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 am
The raw tone of the ZPO is so beautiful to me, even before getting into the crunchy FM fun. Very rarely have I heard an oscillator that made me feel this way. I really enjoy the rough, organic and almost sandpapery textures that I can get without any effort! ZPO and Falistri are now best friends in my rack - best complex oscillator I've ever used.
Interesting - what other VCO's do you have in your case/have you used before ? I'm considering the ZPO - but are worried that it will be to metallic for my taste. Already got a CS-L, that can go into the metallic territory (and other more warm places as well).
I don't think the ZPO is that metallic - the CS-L does metallic in spades though and I've never really been impressed by the demos I've heard of it because it becomes aggressive in a way that doesn't appeal to me. ZPO can be aggressive, but the underlying character shines through and is really beautiful imo. There's a video on YouTube by 'Joey Blush' which demonstrates this: though it's getting pumped with some crazy modulation, it still has that rough texture that I love.

I've owned DPO and Verbos HO, both which I sold for different reasons. In my rack now the Falistri / ZPO is my only analog combo, alongside an E352 Cloud Terrarium and Manis Iteritas. ZPO perfectly fits the hole in my rack for rounded analog sounds, which can always easily become FM madness with a few knob turns.
Good info. Thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”