VCA vs Mixer vs Output

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tomorrowstops
Common Wiggler

VCA vs Mixer vs Output

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 am

Are there modules that combine all of these functions? I've been reading a lot of VCA threads and every now and then someone mentions x module could be used as final output. But I don't think I've come across that spelled out in manufacturer specs - yet.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Re: VCA vs Mixer vs Output

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 am

Some multi-VCAs cascade as a mixer- for example Veils. You can use the knobs to control the mixing and dial the levels down too as needed.

That said, sometimes it's easier just to use a small external mixer- a lot of them can cope with raw Euro levels without distorting, if you just turn the channel gain down- at which point, some 3.5mm to 1/4 inch cables will do the job.

(I'm a sucker for output modules, as I love being able to carry a small case and headphones to a comfy corner and relax. Befaco out v3 is nice.)
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Sat May 23, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 am

What makes most sense as the last module is a very individual question. How many signals do you generate in your modular at the same time? Do you need them mixed down, or do you record and/or mix them externally? Can the device you go into handle the signal level, or will it clip? In a performance task, do you need voltage control over the output levels, or will you for example use a digital mixerdesk with its own automation? Do you need a headphone output in your rack, for stand alone use, or for prefade listening? Again, a valid outboard mixer can manage the latter, too.
Check all those criteria and then go looking.
WTB: Dovemans SHFT

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 am

Happy Nerding’s PanMix does all three things.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”