Busboard Recommendations Please

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Busboard Recommendations Please

Post by The Mule » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 pm

I'm redoing the power supply in my 15U 124hp case. Going to be going with two Doepfer PSU3s, which would be rated for 4000mA +12V. My rig currently draws around 3100mA +12V, so I believe that should be enough headroom, right? I want to swap out the Doepfer busboards for some better ones. I've never liked the unshrouded connectors (just too easy for something to get plugged in the wrong way). So I'm looking for something with shrouded connectors.

Among the contenders right now are the L-1 busboards, which seem nice, though they only have 8 connectors on each board, so I'd need about 8 of them. The Konstant Lab busboards look great from what I can tell - affordable and have 18 connectors per board. Has anyone here used them? The Genus Modu have been recommended by a few folks as well. I've seen plenty of others online, but would love to get some opinions here on what would be best. It's important that they are sturdy, quiet and would be easy to hook up to the Doepfer PSU3. I'm not a huge fan of working with electrical wiring stuff, so finding something that just plugs right in without any crazy soldering or anything challenging would be best. I also need the boards to be able to be nicely secured to the back of my case. The Doepfer boards only have mounting holes on one side, so I have found them to be flimsy once installed.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Busboard Recommendations Please

Post by andybizarre » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 am

From the Doepfer website: 12V / 2000mA, -12V / 1200mA, +5V/2000mA (max. 4000mA if you swith the 2A-fuse with 4A)

You might rethink your power distribution. If your +12V load is 3100mA, I would suggest you get at least two PSU3. Regarding busboards, I went with ACL Eve 1 since the Genus Modu were unobtainium in Europe at the time I did my case. Once installed, I couldn`t be happier with the results, noisefloor and module crosstalk were much lower than before with flying busboards or the Doepfer ones. The ACL has 20 shrouded headers, but none on the side - this might require some careful module placement in a 124HP case due to short ribbon cables. I located the bigger modules at the sides of the case and never ran into a problem.

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 am

For your information Doepfer now do shrouded busboards, I'm not sure about availability in US but available now from Thomann... :tu:
15012385_800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:26 am

I have 4 Doepfer PSU3s which run fine with loads from around 1.3A to 1.7A at +12V and 0.6A to 0.9A at -12V (all according to ModularGrid, of course). Since simplicity of connection was very important to me as well, I went with the already mentioned new Doepfer V6 busboards. They have 22 shrouded connectors. When you switch from unshrouded to shrouded headers, be sure to check all your bus cables! Turned out I had one that had the notch on the wrong side which could have wreaked havoc...
don't fold the wave you're riding on

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 am

andybizarre wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 am
From the Doepfer website: 12V / 2000mA, -12V / 1200mA, +5V/2000mA (max. 4000mA if you swith the 2A-fuse with 4A)

You might rethink your power distribution. If your +12V load is 3100mA, I would suggest you get at least two PSU3. Regarding busboards, I went with ACL Eve 1 since the Genus Modu were unobtainium in Europe at the time I did my case. Once installed, I couldn`t be happier with the results, noisefloor and module crosstalk were much lower than before with flying busboards or the Doepfer ones. The ACL has 20 shrouded headers, but none on the side - this might require some careful module placement in a 124HP case due to short ribbon cables. I located the bigger modules at the sides of the case and never ran into a problem.
Yes, two PSU3 is what I'm planning. :) I'll take a look at the ACL Eve 1 boards - thanks!

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:23 am

flipper16 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 am
For your information Doepfer now do shrouded busboards, I'm not sure about availability in US but available now from Thomann... :tu:

15012385_800.jpg
Interesting! I'll look into those as well. I do prefer the boards that allow you to screw them in on both the top AND the bottom though.

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 am

señor-bling wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:26 am
I have 4 Doepfer PSU3s which run fine with loads from around 1.3A to 1.7A at +12V and 0.6A to 0.9A at -12V (all according to ModularGrid, of course). Since simplicity of connection was very important to me as well, I went with the already mentioned new Doepfer V6 busboards. They have 22 shrouded connectors. When you switch from unshrouded to shrouded headers, be sure to check all your bus cables! Turned out I had one that had the notch on the wrong side which could have wreaked havoc...
Will do! I plan on checking everything about 50 times - working with electrical stuff makes me nervous as hell.

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 am

Has anyone had any experience with the Konstant Lab busboards? They are more affordable than many of these other options, but obviously quality is my top concern. Right now I'm narrowing things down to: L-1, ACL Eve 1, and Konstant Lab... Always open to other suggestions and guidance. :tu:

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 am

The Mule wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 am
andybizarre wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 am

Yes, two PSU3 is what I'm planning. :) I'll take a look at the ACL Eve 1 boards - thanks!
:doh: Re-read your OP, it was all there..
Has anyone had any experience with the Konstant Lab busboards? They are more affordable than many of these other options, but obviously quality is my top concern. Right now I'm narrowing things down to: L-1, ACL Eve 1, and Konstant Lab... Always open to other suggestions and guidance. :tu:
If it`s quality you`re after, stick to those high end busboards. The hassle of narrowing down problems of power supply and distribution is not worth saving a few bucks. If problems appear, it`s going to be more expensive anyway. The ACL has lots of headers, but is a PITA to install. There`s no drill sheet (no response to e-mails, too) and the cable interface is fiddly, to say the least. But overall, I`m very happy with them.

If I would do a case of your size, I would distribute at least common ground with an industrial-style busbar across the case. I remember some pics in the DIY cases thread which might give you an idea of how to do it.

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

I'm in communication with Alex at L-1, which seems like a reliable source with a good rep. I am leaning towards going that way at the moment. I like the sound of "industrial-style busbar" but I'd be afraid to tackle a job like that. :-O I'm sure I'd experience an industrial-style electrocution. But I'll see if I can find the pics in the DIY cases thread... Thanks. :tu:

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 am

Graham Hinton offers busbar solutions... :tu:

http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... bution.htm

Oh yeah, and shrouded bus boards and PSUs and... in fact anything power related really.

Drop him an e-mail as he could custom design something for you.

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 pm

flipper16 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 am
Graham Hinton offers busbar solutions... :tu:

http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... bution.htm

Oh yeah, and shrouded bus boards and PSUs and... in fact anything power related really.

Drop him an e-mail as he could custom design something for you.
I exchanged a few emails with him actually. His setups are super deluxe, but perhaps a bit beyond my budget, at least for now.

Morphology
Common Wiggler

Post by Morphology » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am

Have a look at Clicks and Clocks I bought 2 x PSU and 5 x Busboards and have been very happy with them.

They are self-build. Only very simple soldering skills required, though you need a reasonably high-wattage iron as the earth planes conduct a lot of heat away.

Shrouded headers. They have Single-side mounts (same as Doepfer) but they feel very solid when plugging stuff in.

Morph
There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:50 am

flipper16 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 am

15012385_800.jpg
Oh, wonder how long until they ship cases with those in? Love those chunky Doepfer cases, but I really prefer shrouded headers.

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 am

Thomann are showing images of cases with the new busboards so I guess they have them in stock now, but I would contact them before placing an order to make sure you don't get old stock with the older busboards.
LC6.jpg
PMS12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:46 pm

I highly recommend this here: https://www.metatronicmods.com/store/p1 ... ck-V2.html

Of coarse it tailors to the three main rails so if you need 5V you will have to wire that up but it's a great system with solid rails and I've built several of his supplies too. No problems here.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”