Stereo VCAs

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Stereo VCAs

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:00 pm

I’m looking to get one for my stereo filters .

Can anyone recommend a good one they’ve had .

Cheers

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Stereo VCAs

Post by mosorensen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 pm

WMD Axys is a stereo cross-fader, but it works well as a stereo VCA as well.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 pm

mosorensen wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 pm
WMD Axys is a stereo cross-fader, but it works well as a stereo VCA as well.
Thanks I’ll check that out 👍

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:16 pm

What about just using something like the Intelljel Quad VCA, which has cascading CV control? It can be a dual stereo VCA, or one stereo VCA and two mono VCAs, etc.

I’ll also note that Worng has recently introduced a snazzy stereo VCA called Vertex, but I haven’t used it yet, myself.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/worng-electronics-vertex

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:23 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:16 pm
What about just using something like the Intelljel Quad VCA, which has cascading CV control? It can be a dual stereo VCA, or one stereo VCA and two mono VCAs, etc.

I’ll also note that Worng has recently introduced a snazzy stereo VCA called Vertex, but I haven’t used it yet, myself.
Exactly. An Intellijel Quad VCA, Mutable Veils and others can be dual stereo VCAs, stereo plus dual mono mixers, quad mono, etc.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:34 pm

intellijel 1u vca sound great if you dont mind the lack of features and have a 1u pael.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

The Bastl Quattro Figaro can be patched as a dual VCA or panner.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:42 pm

WMD Multimode VCA!

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:56 pm

xcc wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:23 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:

Exactly. An Intellijel Quad VCA, Mutable Veils and others can be dual stereo VCAs, stereo plus dual mono mixers, quad mono, etc.
Dual mono ≠ stereo.

For a module to be truly stereo you need to be able to manipulate a stereo signal in the same way that you could a mono one through a mono module. One knob to control the volume of the stereo signal, one CV to do the same. Having to individually set two controls to the same level can approximate the functionality of a stereo module but it’s a different thing and the UX is diminished.

You wouldn’t call two mono mixers placed next to each other a stereo mixer, or a stack of monosynths a polysynth. :tu:

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:56 pm
xcc wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Dual mono ≠ stereo.

For a module to be truly stereo you need to be able to manipulate a stereo signal in the same way that you could a mono one through a mono module. One knob to control the volume of the stereo signal, one CV to do the same. Having to individually set two controls to the same level can approximate the functionality of a stereo module but it’s a different thing and the UX is diminished.

You wouldn’t call two mono mixers placed next to each other a stereo mixer, or a stack of monosynths a polysynth. :tu:
If the CV control is linked as in the modules mentioned, then you have one volume control for both channels. If you’re using an envelope or whatever to open the VCA then they both open exactly the same, from a single single source.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
xcc wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Dual mono ≠ stereo.

not sure "one knob" is needed to define a "stereo VCA" but look at L-1 and other VC stereo MIXERS, they are VCAs: http://l-1.su/index.html

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:34 pm

xcc wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 pm
Stab Frenzy wrote:
xcc wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Dual mono ≠ stereo.

If the CV control is linked as in the modules mentioned, then you have one volume control for both channels. If you’re using an envelope or whatever to open the VCA then they both open exactly the same, from a single single source.
That’s not correct, on the quad VCA or veils you need to bring up two CV attenuators at exactly the same time to fade in a CV like an envelope to both channels. Go grab one and try it. Likewise you need to turn both level controls on the quad VCA to adjust the level of the two channels. If they were stereo channels there would only be one knob. :tu:

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:40 pm

thetwlo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 pm
Stab Frenzy wrote:
xcc wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Dual mono ≠ stereo.

not sure "one knob" is needed to define a "stereo VCA" but look at L-1 and other VC stereo MIXERS, they are VCAs: http://l-1.su/index.html
I’ve got the L-1 VC stereo mixer, it’s a handy piece and sounds really great but it’s not really relevant to this discussion because it’s a mixer for taking mono sources and mixing them down to stereo, if you were to use it for a stereo signal you would have to use it dual mono and hard panned, and then you have the same issues I was talking about with having to turn two controls at once the same amount.

The L-1 stereo mixer is a true stereo device, it natively handles stereo signals.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Happy Nerding Dual Xfade has a switch to go between linked stereo and dual mono controls. In dual mode it can do some cool shit like if you attenuvert one negative and one positive and give it bipolar CV the sound will go back and forth.

I been using a couple of them and an Intellijel 1U as stereo VCAs.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 am

I have a couple Trogotronic m277 stereo tube VCAs, they sound nice, both clean and overdriven. They don't like super hot signals going in if you're looking for cleaner sound though.

I'm moving to a smaller rack and will let one go if interested.

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:31 am

ST modular has one in 6hp kit @ pusherman.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:34 pm
That’s not correct, on the quad VCA or veils you need to bring up two CV attenuators at exactly the same time to fade in a CV like an envelope to both channels. Go grab one and try it. Likewise you need to turn both level controls on the quad VCA to adjust the level of the two channels. If they were stereo channels there would only be one knob. :tu:
Just because we now have more stereo signal paths in our Eurorack systems than we used to does not mean we all have to run out and buy stereo VCAs. Stereo VCAs remain a specialized tool for many (probably most of us), and we would not commit the hp to one until we had a specific reason to do so. (I don’t even play VCAs anyway—I play envelopes—so I don’t tend to care if they have knobs at all.) The short of it is that the Quad VCA will work just fine for a lot of people, and already does.

That said, if your process can really benefit from a dedicated stereo VCA, then great! Go for it.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 am
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:34 pm
Just because we now have more stereo signal paths in our Eurorack systems than we used to does not mean we all have to run out and buy stereo VCAs. Stereo VCAs remain a specialized tool for many (probably most of us), and we would not commit the hp to one until we had a specific reason to do so. (I don’t even play VCAs anyway—I play envelopes—so I don’t tend to care if they have knobs at all.) The short of it is that the Quad VCA will work just fine for a lot of people, and already does.

That said, if your process can really benefit from a dedicated stereo VCA, then great! Go for it.
Oh I’m not saying everyone has to go out and buy a stereo VCA if they want to work in stereo, just that a stereo VCA is a different thing to a dual mono VCA.

Efudd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Efudd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm

VoicAs 2^4^8 VCA MK2.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 pm

The Doepfer A-135-2 can be jumpered into a dual stereo VCA. Mine's currently configured as quad, but after reading this, I'm tempted to flip it over and see how I like it.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 pm

i only use the IJ uVCA, and no other VCAs, with reasons.
the uVCA is also perfect for me if i want to go with a stereo signal over a (stereo) VCA.
a TipTop stackable is then my Friend here
( well, i use DIY-shortened stackables / the very short ones that you can´t buy anywhere, but DIY ;) )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangayle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

The Intellijel Quad has normalled CV inputs and can be used as a stereo VCA. Veils does not, as far as I know.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”