EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Re: EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Post by target_destroyed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Pyrrhix wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:26 pm
MindMachine wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Die Form is amazing. They don't get even half as much credit as they deserve compared to bands like Puppy.
I totally agree. If you haven't already, check out their earlier, weirder stuff from before Eliane P. joined the band.
Definitely. I've heard most of their stuff, some of my favs are actually their old gothy-dance stuff like Slow Love and Silent Order. They have so much minimalist/noise/experimental material too though, as well as their "newer" more pseudo-industrial stuff. They really run the whole gamut of the goth industrial sound, and probably have one of if not the most extensive and longest running catalogue of material in the genre. Love them.

Pretty sure this was the first track I heard by them back in the day, from a Cleopatra compilation disc.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:55 pm

target_destroyed wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Pretty sure this was the first track I heard by them back in the day, from a Cleopatra compilation disc.

Oh, I love that one. It still gets played at goth/industrial clubs today, and the dancefloor always gets weird with that half-time rhythm.

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Godflesh essentially invented industrial metal with Street cleaner, Justin Broadrick continues to innovate.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:22 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:04 am
Some awesome stuff in here !

Much more metal than industrial, but Bliss Signal is really worth checking out.

Collab between Mumdance (already a big champion of eurorack and he designed Busy Circuits MUM M8) and James Kelly who had a great band called Altar of Plagues.

Its like a mix of gabber, black metal, shoegaze, ravey euphoria and theres loads of modular stuff throughout.
Definitely approached things in a pretty interesting way that I've not heard before in metal !
Now this response is totally what I was hoping for. (Along with all the others!)

You got some like minded people and a module designer in the mix! I'll bet a thread of "Synth Designers Music Only" would be interesting as well. But I'm just focusing on what I like. And from lurking on here for a couple years, seeing all the NE stuff, IME stuff, Error stuff, Malekko (and a ton of other Portland builders, almost too many to name) I knew there was a quiet minority (majority?) of Eurorack heads that are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to music I'd probably like.

I really appreciate all the "old" industrial stuff, some of which I've totally missed. But I'm REALLY loving to see what's happening now.

at some point I need to return to learning my modules and start making music again :omg:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:30 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:41 pm
not necessarily euro related, but have you checked out Sissy Spacek, or anything John Wiese works on? Really great stuff. Also, the vocalist from Youth Code played with Sissy Spacek for a while...
Sissy Spacek? Like from Carrie?

NO I HAVE NOT BUT I TOTALLY FUCKING WILL. :woah:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:37 pm

neumedi wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm
Back to the thread... whoa... haven't run across Igorr before... love it!
I love how we're all finding new things to piss off the neighbors..... or maybe not?

Maybe the neighbors are like "I wish that guy next door could write music as good as the stuff he listens to!" :youkids:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:15 pm

skreetis wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:53 pm
Another vote for the Body. What a fucking band - consistently crushing and innovative; difficult to categorize. Author & Punisher, too. His machines may not produce the sounds, but his performances have to be seen to be believed. Intense as fuck.

REZN is an awesome, doomy, psychedelic band that utilizes eurorack live. They’re not even vaguely industrial sounding, but they’re great and trippy.

Code Orange is an EXTREMELY aggro hardcore band that uses eurorack gear for all kinds of noisy, glitchy stuff.

Cloud Rat is a fantastic grind band that uses modular stuff, to some degree. Their Do Not Let Me Off the Cliff EP is way outside of their typical style, but is really cool for fans of droning, heavy, electronic stuff.

Wreck and Reference isn’t metal, per se, but it is heavy, unique, dark, and beautiful. Just vocals, samples, and drums.
Thanks for these skreetis!

I think you get bonus points (along with other posters) for remembering EURORACK. I mean, this is in the Eurorack modules thread for a reason. Posted here, for one, cause it's the biggest commented on thread on MW. But also, cause I really am looking to the format, and users of, to see what's being used in the wild. I know when I saw The Body the singer had a little box of modules (no idea what they were) that he was tweaking on.

I don't want to be a "eurorack only" music Nazi... and I'm glad people are benefiting from all the posts as am I, so I'm not dissing anyone for all the non euro, maybe not euro posts.... I'm clicking all the links and quiet enjoying most of them!!!

Atrociter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:11 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am

I mean, what's Metal anyway? Poison, Quite Riot or Deicide?
Who's more punk Discharge or the Dickies?

More ranting.... just the observations of an old opinionated heavy-music-making eurorack wanna be. :goo:
Well Deicide and Discharge obviously hahaha.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm

unclebastard wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 pm
Godflesh essentially invented industrial metal with Street cleaner, Justin Broadrick continues to innovate.
That's a somewhat bold claim. :foul:

Street Cleaner's got some great synth sounds, they're obviously making current music and it's nicely produced! I applaud anyone from the old scene that's still putting out music and if it's electronic and heavy, even better.

I appreciate the mention. :tu:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:27 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:07 pm
Surachai!!!!!!!!!!!!! check him out
Fucking brilliant! :party:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:17 pm

SynapseCollapse wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:48 am
That’s funny. I went to a A&P show in 2014 or so, went to talk to Tristan about gear after the show, he looked at me and my friend, said “I don’t do eurorack bullshit” and left.
Wait what?

I didn't actually make the connection about who this dude is.... I remember him from some Vid search I did on heavy contemporary artists and it was like a mini documentary about him.... I mean, that's cool, he's doing his thing. I appreciate the one-mand-band factor of it all and that he's able to do it live. He's obviously doing more than a DJ (oh shit, I'm gonna start offending people on here).

But dissing Eurorack.....

I wonder if Kerry King tried to talk to him about gear, would he have said "I don't play traditional instruments, they're bullshit" :fu:

stashole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stashole » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:23 am

messiah_ward wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:34 pm
+1000 on Author and Punisher. If live gigs ever become a thing again, go see him.

So not eurorack, but do you know Youth Code? - should appeal to your punk leanings too:

The biggest "new" band in industrial metal (or whatever you want to call it) is definitely 3teeth. They definitely use some eurorack when recording and they use some on stage on occasion!

I personally somewhat prefer their earlier stuff which was a bit less metal, particularly this one:

Otherwise for less song based, more noisy stuff, Venetian Snares (as someone else said), Prurient:

Thanks for putting me on to Youth Code with this post, I dont know how I'd never heard of them. This is right up my alley :sb:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 am

my people!!! i always love getting recommendations for heavy stuff from wigglers and synth-heads . looks like i've got my playlist covered for the day. i have to say though, one thing i've come to appreciate after being on muffs for a few years is heavier electronic music like power electronics and Noise (not just noise, i mean music or a sonic expression which is more physical/emotional.) before i got deeper into electronic musici kind of brushed it off as a bunch of cliched sounds and distorted/compressed samey-sounding music, but i've come to really appreciate the subtleties of the genre/style now.

essential thread.

one of my favorites i learned about here:

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 am

Redacted
Last edited by TheDegenerateElite on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm
unclebastard wrote:

Street Cleaner's got some great synth sounds, they're obviously making current music and it's nicely produced! I applaud anyone from the old scene that's still putting out music and if it's electronic and heavy, even better.

I'll stand by it. I don't think there are any synths ( other than an Alesis HR16 ) on 'Streetcleaner', although it could sound like it- try 'Slavestate'. I saw them live in 2014 when 'A World Lit Only By Fire' came out- brutal, punishing and relentless. Since then he's done the Zonal album with The Bug which is heavy in a very different way, and probably loads of other stuff I've missed.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

lyesmel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lyesmel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm

unclebastard wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 pm
GregIcky wrote:
unclebastard wrote:

I'll stand by it. I don't think there are any synths ( other than an Alesis HR16 ) on 'Streetcleaner', although it could sound like it- try 'Slavestate'. I saw them live in 2014 when 'A World Lit Only By Fire' came out- brutal, punishing and relentless. Since then he's done the Zonal album with The Bug which is heavy in a very different way, and probably loads of other stuff I've missed.
Agree - Streetcleaner sounds 100% guitar/bass and drum machine. All of the textural stuff is guitar.
Found the Zonal album a bit dull unfortunately but some of the JK Flesh and recent Godflesh is excellent.

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:36 pm

If you want some hard, mean as hell and subversive themes matched with a strict eurorack approach you should check out some of my work:

I participate in God Is War, Terror Cell Unit, Koufar, and Sutekh Hexen:

GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 am
my people!!! i always love getting recommendations for heavy stuff from wigglers and synth-heads . looks like i've got my playlist covered for the day. i have to say though, one thing i've come to appreciate after being on muffs for a few years is heavier electronic music like power electronics and Noise (not just noise, i mean music or a sonic expression which is more physical/emotional.) before i got deeper into electronic musici kind of brushed it off as a bunch of cliched sounds and distorted/compressed samey-sounding music, but i've come to really appreciate the subtleties of the genre/style now.

essential thread.
I have a hard time with the sheer volume of DIY recordings now days. I appreciate all kinds of noise-y stuff, but the AMOUNT of stuff on soundcloud and youtube is overwhelming. I mean, a 5 minutes drone that has almost zero frequency manipulation (or just repetitive modulation) is just totally fatiguing to the ear. Sure it's cool to some... but there's just soooooo much. And so many times on here people are like "that's so cool" and I'm not sure why?

"Here's a thing I did using the new _______ module"

It's like if you bought a Les Paul and recored 3 minutes of just E-string sustain....

And worse, people call it a song. :youkids:

That's kinda why I mentioned the bigger bands in my rant. There was more "definition" in every aspect of music creation. The fact that it was a "band" was a defining factor, they had to (usually) go some place to record, they had a defined amount of time (EP or LP) and had to work within those restraints. Sure, the rules are all different nowadays... but in some ways I think it's to the detriment, rather than the benefit of us all.

Merzbow from Japan comes to mind... even if you couldn't stand an LP worth of noise, just the fact that you had to have a vinyl copy of it meant something. There was a lot of time that went into actually obtaining one. And a lot of time on his end just getting it produced, distributed and on and on.... It's not that his stuff is an better than some of the noise I hear on Muffs. But it was still more defined against the rest of the music scene, which is almost a quaint idea at this point.

grey_costume
Common Wiggler

Post by grey_costume » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Atrociter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:36 pm

unclebastard wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 pm
GregIcky wrote:
unclebastard wrote:

I would argue that they didn't invent it as much as popularized a small movement within the UK underground at the time with their debut album, you also had Pitchshifter and Sonic Violence around as well.. and Head of David were active before Godflesh. Its very easy to overlook threads of influence namely cheaper drum machines like the Alesis HR 16 they used and of course > [SWANS - FILTH] - whom they owe much and were emulating .

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:48 am

Just ran across the netzine site Brutal Resonance. It appears that lots of industrial subgenres and artists are covered there. Looking forward to checking out some new stuff!

stashole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stashole » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:42 am

Haven't seen Crystal Geometry mentioned anywhere on this forum, he's doing some really cool heavier stuff with his rack, definitely a lot of older EBM, Industrial, Metal influence in there

DigitalCrickets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DigitalCrickets » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:06 pm

tdallas wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pm
And maybe this might be interesting? Not metal, but sometimes it has a little ‚industrial‘ touch:

This guy lives in his own world about ten years ahead of the rest of us. Infinitely entertaining bloke, he is!
May the electrons always flow in your favor, and may the voltages remain under your control!
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1348470
https://digitalcrickets.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/digitalcrickets

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:04 pm
Feel free to point me in a direction that I may be missing out? I've seen the heavy hitters like Basek and Benders...
Blush Response

bobbychaos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bobbychaos » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 pm

This post is exactly what I've been looking for! So much killer music! I'm also older, have industrial/metal influences, and [very] new to modular. I'm looking forward to hearing more about what modules people use with these influences. Haven't sold all my guitars yet for modules, and only have some semi-modular incl. 0-coast, so I'm trying to get an idea of what direction to go for what modules to lean towards. Thanks for starting this post GregIcky!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”