mannequins mangrove availability?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

mannequins mangrove availability?

Post by houndington » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:21 am

I was wondering if anyone had any word on when these might be available again? They're sold out everywhere (though Schneidersladen says 'coming soon') and the second hand price seems to be the same as the new price :eek:

djd_oz
Veteran Wiggler

Re: mannequins mangrove availability?

Post by djd_oz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:25 am

Their website says late 2020

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:25 am

Whimsical seems to do 2-3 manufacturing runs a year. It’s not as competitive as Cwejman or Rabid Elephant—if you’re paying attention, you should have no difficulty acquiring units when they drop.

I wouldn’t pay above retail for a used unit, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with paying around retail for a used unit in excellent condition. Whimsical modules can hold their value pretty well.

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks both! I had seen "late 2020" on the website, but I'd been subscribed for updates on a Three Sisters for maybe a year and never got an email so was worried I'd miss availability. It's good to know they dont sell out crazy quick - I'll just check periodically and hopefully snag one when they're released.

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:44 am

Take it with a grain of salt

But cold mac/just friends in november

Three sisters december

Mangrove january !!

Sorry i cant say my sources !! But are solid !

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:02 am

There are several on modular grid for sale for about €280.

tristanhbe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tristanhbe » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:20 am

I just got a used with light rack rash for €220. So pretty happy about that. But yes I've seen them posted for above retail price which is frankly just rude if you ask me.

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 am

i heavily dislike what people do with these modules for the secondhand market , i close a deal recently in a facebook group for a three sisters 300 usd and some hs after he say sorry i sold it for 500 and ignore me after , even if he confirmed it was mine , if u read these , i hope u brake both legs and all ypu love perish and disintegrate in ur hands as u die of sickness hunger and lonelynes

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 am

vilovisp wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 am
i heavily dislike what people do with these modules for the secondhand market , i close a deal recently in a facebook group for a three sisters 300 usd and some hs after he say sorry i sold it for 500 and ignore me after , even if he confirmed it was mine , if u read these , i hope u brake both legs and all ypu love perish and disintegrate in ur hands as u die of sickness hunger and lonelynes
lol :sstorm:
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:52 am

mrbloor wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:02 am
There are several on modular grid for sale for about €280.
Thanks, but that's pretty steep if MSRP is €284 (also according to MG). I know modules hold their value well but I'm put off if it's >80% of retail for a second hand module.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 am

2019 was seeing a more frequent production than previously. I'm sure next year will be back to normal. It's a year of slow downs.
THUMPR BC SC

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am

houndington wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:52 am
Thanks, but that's pretty steep if MSRP is €284 (also according to MG). I know modules hold their value well but I'm put off if it's >80% of retail for a second hand module.
Ok, but you’re not entitled to 20% off retail—that’s you, not them. So you have to be patient and wait for new or wait for someone to list a used one at a price you’re comfortable with. :)

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am
houndington wrote:
Ok, but you’re not entitled to 20% off retail—that’s you, not them. So you have to be patient and wait for new or wait for someone to list a used one at a price you’re comfortable with. :)
Hah I agree with you. Lotta euro dudes get so finicky about pricing like this. The used market isn’t aiming at you, you better just sit tight and wait for the new ones haha. Besides, it’s not like Mannequins modules aren’t worth the markup, they’re great modules. I bought a mangrove for 325 the other day and I’m beyond happy with it.

They do appear on the market on the cheaper sides sometimes but they never last. If you miss one of those then I’d say it’s even more justifiable to pay extra when another listing pops up. It’s a game of speed/money

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:30 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
houndington wrote:
Yes you're absolutely right. That's the second hand market price, it seems. Also, I'm not willing to pay that price, hence enquiring if anyone had any firmer info on availability from source. Of course, I can imagine there are folks who are happy to pay almost-retail for these modules, especially given the pandemic's effect on the supply chain, and that's their choice. I certainly don't feel 'entitled' to anything!

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 pm

So you’re saying you wouldn’t pay 90% retail price for a used three sisters? Given how rare they are to find let alone at that low of a price?

I’ve never seen used mannequins at <80% either. Tough customer good luck haha

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Sleepfc wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 pm
So you’re saying you wouldn’t pay 90% retail price for a used three sisters? Given how rare they are to find let alone at that low of a price?

I’ve never seen used mannequins at <80% either. Tough customer good luck haha
I paid £290 for a second hand Three Sisters this summer. So, I have realised two things in the past hour: 1. I am being a hippocrite and 2. I guess I dont want the Mangrove as much as I did the TS :hihi:

Your point about not seeing Mannequins gear at <80% is useful, thank you. I do think I'll wait out on a retail one for now.

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:23 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
houndington wrote:
There's nothing entitled about being unwilling to pay >80% retail for a used module, so long as you're willing to either wait or go with something else. (I think that's more or less what you said, but the idea of "entitlement" comes with a lot of baggage these days. Don't see the need to bring it up when the OP didn't imply it.)

I'm in the same boat, and I just avoid getting attached to or planning around any module I can't source. No problem if you think differently; obviously enough people do to drive used market prices up beyond what I'd be willing to pay on plenty of modules.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 pm

In any case, “80%” is getting thrown around a lot these days as if it’s something more than arbitrary fraction, and I’ve seen a lot of sour grapes and cast aspersions here and elsewhere of people who sell supply-limited used modules for what the market will bear. Some of these sellers may seem a bit greedy, but many are just recovering as much as possible of what they initially paid. Just because you may be frustrated doesn’t mean they’ve done you wrong. (Sounds like vilovisp’s seller was downright sleazy, but then again, buying and selling modules on Facebook sure sounds like asking for trouble.)

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 pm
In any case, “80%” is getting thrown around a lot these days as if it’s something more than arbitrary fraction, and I’ve seen a lot of sour grapes and cast aspersions here and elsewhere of people who sell supply-limited used modules for what the market will bear. Some of these sellers may seem a bit greedy, but many are just recovering as much as possible of what they initially paid. Just because you may be frustrated doesn’t mean they’ve done you wrong. (Sounds like vilovisp’s seller was downright sleazy, but then again, buying and selling modules on Facebook sure sounds like asking for trouble.)
I just did a quick check for Mannequins on Reverb, and found 2x Just Friends listed at $1500, and a Mangrove listed at $400!

I kind of get why the WR/Mannequins stuff is so sought after. There really isn't an oscillator like Mangrove, though I personally just didn't get along with it, and passed it along for a good deal - $220. While I much prefer the sound and range of the Stereo Dipole to my Three Sisters, the kinds of patching that you can do with the 4 in, 4 out design of Three Sisters is very unique, and I've kept it for that reason. Still, I can't imagine paying more than the retail price for either of them. I've seen used Three Sisters listed way above the new retail price of the Stereo Dipole, Filter 8, and other amazing filters, which seems just insane to me. That sound is great, but it isn't that unique.

I guess there's a bit of a mystique around WR/Mannequins that I just don't get.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:41 am

It's reasonable to assume that as more people get into eurorack, the more profit-oriented traders there will be. It probably seems like there are more now, but there are also more people in the eurorack market period.

I bought a Mangrove last year for $225. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable deal. Then again, I was never in a rush to get it. If you're patient and persistent, you'll find a reasonable deal. If you have to have it NOW, that's when you're really at the mercy of the second hand market.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 am

I've got a mangrove, I'll sell it for $1500 Canadian dollars. I think that works out to about $200 American...

(I'm just kidding by the way. Also, Mangrove rocks, worth the wait :sb:)
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Return to “Eurorack Modules”