DivKid RND STEP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DivKid RND STEP

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:14 pm

kpreid wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:57 pm
The test/workaround for this would be to add a small delay between the trigger controlling (or produced by) the sequencer and the trigger input of RND STEP, using a trigger delay module, delayed envelope, or similar. If that eliminates the unquantized results, one can then experiment with making the delay as short as possible.

Ding ding ding! This has always worked for me.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:52 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 am
I’m just starting to use mine and those half-rectified outputs are a simple stroke of genius. I also wanted to complement you on the fit and finish: the entire module from face plate to PCBs is quite elegant.
Could someone explain to me why having a random generator spend half its time at zero is a "stroke of genius"?

I can see where there may be some uses for this half-rectified behaviour but as a permanent option it seems far less desirable than a full-rectified configuration where a new random value is available on every trigger

I only just noticed that this is how the unipolar outputs work on the RND STEP and my first thought is that it's almost a deal-breaker.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:04 am

windchill wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:52 am
Could someone explain to me why having a random generator spend half its time at zero is a "stroke of genius"?
Instant gratification modulation. Just patch it to pretty much any parameter, anywhere. Sometimes it changes, sometimes it’s at zero. Clock appropriately.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I just got one of these, and I love it in theory. However, there are two things bothering me and I want to see if anyone else has the same experiences:

1. No matter whether I use a buffered or passive mult, it seems to “eat” triggets. Other modules mult’d with its trig input never receive the trig once the RND STEP is added to the mult, but the RND STEP always receives the trig. Can’t figure out why.

2. Its range seems just generally low to me as well (just reviewed the whole page I missed about this). I understand that the unipolar output spends half its time at 0V, but I rarely see mine exceed 1V. Similarly, the bipolar outputs almost never seem to go beyond +-2V.

Does this seem right, particularly the trigger thing? It really doesn’t do much for my modulation with these ranges, but the trig eating is a huge bummer. I’m going to try the trimmers and report back...
Last edited by soon_come on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Not sure about the first issue, but mine had a very small voltage range even with the trimmers maxed. Andrew was super quick to respond, on a weekend, and sent me a replacement by the next business day.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked with all trimmers maxed out, and now I get a (slightly improved) ~2.5V max range on the unipolar outputs and +-2.5V on the bipolar outputs. It seems like it's about half of what it should be. He's always great about responding so I'll check with him directly, but I appreciate the confirmation!

Edit: Andrew is going to adjust it for me. Above and beyond service! Thanks SSF.

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:07 am

Hi all,

I just received my RND STEP and I used it to replicate Div Kid's rings patch and it sounds good. Is there a need to calibrate every module or just some? I don't have a scope so I'd prefer to leave it as is if possible! :)

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Update: the replacement (or repair?) came back from Andrew at SSF working great out of the box. Didn't even look at the trimmers. Nice wide range for both bipolar and unipolar outputs, as expected. Really a great design.

Jimantronic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jimantronic » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:10 am

Hi, any more info on this?
My RND Step seems to track a voltage ok on the sample input, but sampling the internal noise doesn't seem to give me more than about +/-1.5v
I filled in the contact thing on the SSF website as requested a few days ago but haven't heard back yet.
Is it worth me just tweaking those teeny trimmers in the meantime?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:46 am

Absolutely- it’s possible your module just needs to be turned up higher. If the trimmers are maxed and you still can’t get the full voltage range, then you’ve got a problem.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Exactly what Zymos said - no harm in turning the trimmers all the way up. I only contacted SSF because after doing so, it was still a bit meager. Good luck!

Jimantronic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jimantronic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 am

Thanks, those trimmers seemed to do the job :) Turning them all the way up clockwise on a couple of the outputs I got more than 5v max, so most of them got set just under maximum. I only had a voltmeter to test with, so I just set a trigger for once a second and kept an eye on the maximum reading over a minute. So it seems all good now, just set a little conservatively out the factory.

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:55 am

Do you turn all the trimmers up, or if not which ones? Thanks!

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:05 am

soon_come wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 pm
Update: the replacement (or repair?) came back from Andrew at SSF working great out of the box. Didn't even look at the trimmers. Nice wide range for both bipolar and unipolar outputs, as expected. Really a great design.
Does it still eat your trigs?

Bonati
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bonati » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:45 am

Hmm. I pulled out the module and turned up the trimmers and the most I can get is +/- 2ish V. The trimmers are very tiny - if you still need to do this don’t go cranking them hard. Turn slowly until you feel the pot stop.

cpr2323
Common Wiggler

Post by cpr2323 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:38 pm

I tried turning up the pots as well, but a) I still couldn't get all the outputs hot enough, and b) realized that adjusting the pots based on the s&h outputs was no way to calibrate the unit. I want to be able to expect the output ranges to all be the same, and without a way to set the values to max and adjust the pots, it's just going to produce undesirable results. I've sent mine in for adjustment. It is seeming a bit odd so many people are having this issue..

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:33 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:05 am
soon_come wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 pm
Does it still eat your trigs?
Sorry for the delay, I didn't notice this reply until later. I just tested it again to be sure, and no, it doesn't seem to be eating my trigs at this time. It could have been something weird about that patch, but I'm not totally sure. It's one of my favorite modules (definitely my favorite sample and hold) since SSF adjusted the output for me.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:25 pm

I'm interested in this as my first S&H module but a little concerned about the calibration issue. Should a newbie stay away? Or is it easy enough to deal with?

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:13 pm

According to SSF only a few of these early ones had the issue at all, and it was easily adjustable.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:00 pm

Good to know, thanks!

theTwiddler
Common Wiggler

Post by theTwiddler » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

hi everyone thinking about getting the rnd step but iwas thinking if its not lil bit expensive just for some sampleandhold stuff.
Any Ideas how i can justify my gas :help: ?

Greets

theTwiddler
Common Wiggler

Post by theTwiddler » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm

maybe it can be used as a timer for cooking eggs or something and i just didnt get how to patch it,

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Well, there are plenty of ways to patch random voltages to your system. If you want a small module with 6 outputs that can be separately clocked in 3 different sections, I don’t think there’s anything comparable.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

discreet-cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by discreet-cowboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 pm

theTwiddler wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm
hi everyone thinking about getting the rnd step but iwas thinking if its not lil bit expensive just for some sampleandhold stuff.
Any Ideas how i can justify my gas :help: ?

Greets
It's a very accurate, completely analog S&H with 6 different outputs (3 unipolar, 3 bipolar), noise and useful normalization in only 4hp.

GAS well justified.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm

Being able to use one trigger to get 6 unique random values for a single voice is incredibly convenient. Simple idea for you to try:

Mult the gate signal you're already using for a bog-standard voice (VCO -> VCF -> VCA)
Send it to the RND STEP trigger at the top
Use the resulting six signals (directly or attenuated) for:

- pitch cv to quantizer (ultimately to VCO)
- filter cutoff
- another VCA in series (for dynamic velocity)
- waveform modulation (let's say pulsewidth if easy)
- wavefold / distortion amount / whatever you got
- effects send (aka a VCA) to reverb and/or delay

That's going to be a very animated voice. Use attenuators to taste and you'll get some really tasty modulation out of just one module, timed to each note getting triggered.

I love mine!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”