VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Abomb1st
Learning to Wiggle

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Abomb1st » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 am

Puscha wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:44 am
Abomb1st wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:28 am
Just picked up the mini horse and finding it hard work. Gets stuck often staying on one key when I touch another and the pressure is quite jumpy and doesn’t feel right. Decided to go full verbos recently and was hoping to swap out my doboz tsnm with the horse for more patching options but comparing both is just night and day in terms of responsiveness. I’m using a doepfer psu3 has anyone else had a similar experience?
I've heard that this module suffers a lot from being picky about power supplies. I got the Verbos Black Box to house it and it works totally fine. Really nice to have it on a desk in front of my rack too.
zerodivide wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:07 pm
what non-Verbos filter do you guys think pairs well with the Verbos CO ?
Mannequins Sisters and QMMG is what I use with my CO. Both are EXCELLENT with it!
I’ve gone for the black box, arriving today. Hopefully that should fix it. Heavy investment in one module but when it works it’s amazing

Puscha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Puscha » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 am

Abomb1st wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 am
Puscha wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:44 am
Abomb1st wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:28 am
Just picked up the mini horse and finding it hard work. Gets stuck often staying on one key when I touch another and the pressure is quite jumpy and doesn’t feel right. Decided to go full verbos recently and was hoping to swap out my doboz tsnm with the horse for more patching options but comparing both is just night and day in terms of responsiveness. I’m using a doepfer psu3 has anyone else had a similar experience?
I've heard that this module suffers a lot from being picky about power supplies. I got the Verbos Black Box to house it and it works totally fine. Really nice to have it on a desk in front of my rack too.
zerodivide wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:07 pm
what non-Verbos filter do you guys think pairs well with the Verbos CO ?
Mannequins Sisters and QMMG is what I use with my CO. Both are EXCELLENT with it!
I’ve gone for the black box, arriving today. Hopefully that should fix it. Heavy investment in one module but when it works it’s amazing
Good luck! Hope it works for you!

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 am

Do ya'll find Verbos stuff less forgiving to play than other makers? It feels like they require more finesse than other brands which I attribute to their large voltage ranges. The tiniest adjustment to a slider or knob can make dramatic differences. I get used to it fairly quickly but I was curious if others also found that to be true.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:00 am

yellowecho wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 am
Do ya'll find Verbos stuff less forgiving to play than other makers? It feels like they require more finesse than other brands which I attribute to their large voltage ranges. The tiniest adjustment to a slider or knob can make dramatic differences. I get used to it fairly quickly but I was curious if others also found that to be true.
the voltages are high, but thats what attenuators are for. Id also recommend the CVP to help integrate the signals. I think a lot of the range given on the panels are scaled nicely, part of why i like the verbos control modules. for example the multi envelope, for having no range switch i think its a good scaling for those time values to be a useful range.

i do have a small dead zone at the bottom of the sliders on the multistage, which bothers me a little, but im not sure if thats avoidable with these tiny sliders. still much prefer these type of metal sliders to the typical plastic kind with led like you see on most other brands.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:23 am

damase wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:00 am
the voltages are high, but thats what attenuators are for. Id also recommend the CVP to help integrate the signals. I think a lot of the range given on the panels are scaled nicely, part of why i like the verbos control modules. for example the multi envelope, for having no range switch i think its a good scaling for those time values to be a useful range.

i do have a small dead zone at the bottom of the sliders on the multistage, which bothers me a little, but im not sure if thats avoidable with these tiny sliders. still much prefer these type of metal sliders to the typical plastic kind with led like you see on most other brands.
I agree 100%. I prefer the high voltage ranges and using attenuators but I was curious if others felt that making those attenuator adjustments required a bit more 'finesse' than the 'plug-and-play' nature of other makers or if it was just me. I've been eyeing the CVP for awhile so maybe I'll take the plunge soon!

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 am

yellowecho wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:23 am
I was curious if others felt that making those attenuator adjustments required a bit more 'finesse' than the 'plug-and-play' nature of other makers
I find that if I use Verbos modules with other Verbos modules or other brands that also support a 10v CV range (Makenoise for example) then they are every bit “plug-and-play” as you put it. Where the “finesse” comes in, and where attenuation is critically important, is where you have a system of mixed brands and some of those brands only operate in a 0-5v CV range.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Ummm, I guess you would call it techno.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:13 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 am
yellowecho wrote:
I was curious if others felt that making those attenuator adjustments required a bit more 'finesse' than the 'plug-and-play' nature of other makers
I find that if I use Verbos modules with other Verbos modules or other brands that also support a 10v CV range (Makenoise for example) then they are every bit “plug-and-play” as you put it. Where the “finesse” comes in, and where attenuation is critically important, is where you have a system of mixed brands and some of those brands only operate in a 0-5v CV range.
That's been my experience too.
It's entirely possible my skills aren't up to snuff but I've found that the attenuation still takes a bit of 'finesse'. For example if I'm patching a VMS into the Center of a HO and I want the slider to control exactly where the harmonic falls it takes a bit more fiddling than if I were to try to do the same using Pressure Points on a RxMx+Fxdf. The same could be said using the Scan & Pan vs RxMx.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:40 pm

yellowecho wrote:
damase wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:00 am

I agree 100%. I prefer the high voltage ranges and using attenuators but I was curious if others felt that making those attenuator adjustments required a bit more 'finesse' than the 'plug-and-play' nature of other makers or if it was just me. I've been eyeing the CVP for awhile so maybe I'll take the plunge soon!
to some degree, something being ‘plug n play’ could also be more limiting. The verbos control stuff its true i do fine tune my patches but for me its a good thing to be able to dial modulation and timbre with this precision, and i usually find unintended sweet spots along the way using this approach which is the true beauty of it. For me, thats overall a faster route to my productions because those unintended moments make the best recordings

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:13 pm
I were to try to do the same using Pressure Points on a RxMx+Fxdf. The same could be said using the Scan & Pan vs RxMx.
I think what you may be getting at is the difference between using slide potentiometers versus rotary potentiometers. Are you finding that the experience of using rotary potentiometers to set configurations values feels more exact/precise than using slide potentiometers?

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 am
My take on this is that Verbos aren’t going for the type of fine grain control that some other manufacturers are, in the sense that each verbos module has a very distinctive sound. They aren’t so much about “tiny bits of this and that.” They’re built for performance, and are correspondingly optimized; less so for deep-dive tweaking where you’re intentionally checking out every nook and cranny of a control (though they reward this of course!). I find their stuff to be wide ranging and expressive, but the attitude is “you want FM? Here’s FM!” rather than “what precise percentage modulation depth would sir or madam prefer?” Its got all the range you need, but it isn’t trying to be lab equipment; it sounds like it sounds. Each control produces a drastic effect.

This is a lot of speculation, and I haven’t explained myself well, but I wonder if anyone will recognize what I’m getting at.
Last edited by ari ellis on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:21 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm
I think what you may be getting at is the difference between using slide potentiometers versus rotary potentiometers. Are you finding that the experience of using rotary potentiometers to set configurations values feels more exact/precise than using slide potentiometers?
I honestly haven't thought about it that way but you're probably right! It's likely the combination of the large range and sliding potentiometers that makes it feel like it requires more 'dialing in'. The Control Voltage Processor sounds like a perfect companion to address this... I'll try messing around with the VMS and Maths tonight to see if that's the direction I want to go. :yay:

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:23 pm

ari ellis wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm
My take on this is that Verbos aren’t going for the type of fine grain control that some other manufacturers are, in the sense that each verbos module has a very distinctive sound. They aren’t so much about “tiny bits of this and that.” They’re built for performance, and are correspondingly optimized; less so for deep-dive tweaking where you’re intentionally checking out every nook and cranny of a control (though they reward this of course!). I find their stuff to be wide ranging and expressive, but the attitude is “you want FM? Here’s FM!” rather than “what precise percentage modulation depth would sir or madam prefer?” Its got all the range you need, but it isn’t trying to be lab equipment; it sounds like it sounds. Each control produces a drastic effect.

This is a lot of speculation, and I haven’t explained myself well, but I wonder if anything will know what I’m getting at.
I know what you're getting at and I agree. I love Verbos stuff! :guinness:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”