VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 pm

advrsry wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Wont be getting up in the middle of the night for this but keen to watch it when it's up ! I'm curious about the sound of the new modules.

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paul_N » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:30 pm

New foundation oscillator video just got posted:

I’m digging the sound/size.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by advrsry » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 pm
Wont be getting up in the middle of the night for this but keen to watch it when it's up ! I'm curious about the sound of the new modules.
Yeah same, but nice that it's going to be available immediately etc.

Amp & Tone video:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 pm

The Amp&Tone does sound different than the V1 ! The resonance isn't the same. Good too but different.

And the noise module :

stephentrask
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stephentrask » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 pm

Portabella wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:22 am
okay, some people have problems, some people don't.
consensuses is that Verbos module have more issues than other premium-priced manufacturer.
e.g I never heard of a single Cwejman module being fried from a switching supply.. probably there is
but nowhere near in the same amounts as Verbos does
This is not the consensus. And as M Rittenberg explained, a lot of the problems are from people using power supplies that have been recommended against. One of the sheer joys of the Verbos sound is they seem to be harnessing the power of raw electricity and turning it into music. Feed it crappy electricity, you're probably gonna hear that too.
i don't know what I'm doing but I sure like doing it.

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:33 am

As expected the new Oscillator sounds very nice.
Can’t get my GAS under control...

Portabella
Common Wiggler

Post by Portabella » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:31 pm

stephentrask wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 pm
One of the sheer joys of the Verbos sound is they seem to be harnessing the power of raw electricity and turning it into music. Feed it crappy electricity, you're probably gonna hear that too.
lmfao

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Bjarlstedt wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 am
(..)
The only issue I have with one of the modules is well known(..): The issues with Scan & Pans center position. (..)
Can someone explain these issue please...?!

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:04 pm

belsina wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:27 pm
Bjarlstedt wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 am
(..)
The only issue I have with one of the modules is well known(..): The issues with Scan & Pans center position. (..)
Can someone explain these issue please...?!
If you change the volume with the sliders, the panning will also change. So if you have something panned to the middle at full volume, it will be panned to one side at half volume. The drift was somewhat lessened with newer batches but it's still there.

You can even hear it in this new video:

All sounds go from the right to the center as he turns up the volume.

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Thank you!

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:38 pm

How to convince faithful users of the V1 of a module to buy V2? We all known CO + ATC are an excellent combo. Now we get FO + AT. Dang.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by BaloErets » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 pm

spacenoodle wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 am
The complex oscillator sounds almost exactly like the Kilpatrick K3020. Which happens to be my go-to osc and I dumped my DPO in favor of it. But (since the initial hype) it has not been talked about or particularly favored by anyone. So after this thread thread dies and goes silent for a year, I will buy one of your "great" sounding Verbos complex oscillators on the BST for cheap! :bacon:
Think your aim was off by 6 years and over 100 pages of the thread :lol:

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am

Has anyone had bad experiences using the amplitude & tone controller with switching power supplys? I read a lot that some Verbos modules need a good Linear Power supply to work properly. Dual four pole filter ( in which I'm interested too ) seems especially picky about power, but I never saw anyone complaining about the amp & tone controller. My Cases are a frap tools UNO with Silta power (floating ground), a Roland SYR-E84 and a Case made with the Doepfer a100 DIY kit#1, all of them have switching power supplys.
Am I good to go or should I expect problems?

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Schrank wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am
Has anyone had bad experiences using the amplitude & tone controller with switching power supplys? I read a lot that some Verbos modules need a good Linear Power supply to work properly. Dual four pole filter ( in which I'm interested too ) seems especially picky about power, but I never saw anyone complaining about the amp & tone controller. My Cases are a frap tools UNO with Silta power (floating ground), a Roland SYR-E84 and a Case made with the Doepfer a100 DIY kit#1, all of them have switching power supplys.
Am I good to go or should I expect problems?
I have the ACL Kazu and the TipTop uZeus as switching power supplys. My ATC works well with both. No issues, bleeds etc.
But the DFP works only without bleeding with my linear Doepfer PSU2. The DFP and the MN Morphagene for example together with the same switching power supply was horrible,... unusable.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm

I'm planning on getting the Multi-Envelope. Now I'm a bit put off by all these stories of needing to have a "matching" power-supply.

The module I want obviously doen't produce audio. Am I right in thinking this will be no problem then?

I'm using cheapish power supplies that never posed a problem with any of the 40 or so modules I've tried so far.

kingcons
Common Wiggler

Post by kingcons » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm

I've used many Verbos modules (VMS, CO, Scan and Pan, Bark Filter, Multi Delay) in a Tiptop Mantis case with _zero_ issues. I've also run at least VMS, Bark, and MultiDelay in a Make Noise Skiff. I haven't found any confirmation that either of the above supplies are linear. I wouldn't hesitate to get Verbos modules provided you have good headroom.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Okay, thanks kingcons.

I wouldn't like having to buy an expensive powersupply just for this one (already expensive) module.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 pm

nodog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm
I'm planning on getting the Multi-Envelope. Now I'm a bit put off by all these stories of needing to have a "matching" power-supply.
You don’t need a ‘matching’ power supply, you need a power supply with good linear regulation. The Doepfer PSU2 was a true, linear power supply, and my first choice for powering Verbos modules. The Doepfer PSU3 is a switching power supply with good linear regulation. Also a good choice for powering Verbos modules.

Just research your power supply options and choose a supply that is documented as having good linear regulation.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 pm

running great on Malekko Power 1.3, a switching supply with linear regulators

“expensive” is subjective

it could be seen as expensive to have a cheap power supply and spend time/money sorting out issues or cleaning up noise out of recordings, or losing good recordings’ quality altogether. a proper power supply is a worth while investment for more than just verbos modules imo

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 am

All good and well and sounding really sensible but still, all my other modules are working fine with my current Meanwell powersupply.

I'll wait until I have the module before I say anything more. I'm probably (well, I hope I am) seeing trouble where there isn't.

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 am

My Meanwell PSU made everything sound bad. The DFP was unusable in there, the ATC was OK. Then I got a Row Power 40 and everything worked beautifully.

I think that if you consider buying Verbos modules but would like to skimp on a decent power supply, you got your priorities wrong. You can't expect quality from something you don't feed well. Poor signal will always sound poor no matter what super module it goes through.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am

Don't know what my power supply is... but i've never had any problem in my case with Intellijel 4u, 7u and MDLR 12u w/mdlr power. I had a Erica synth case for a very brief time at the very beginning where my Complex Oscillator didn't work so I sent the case back.

My system underwent a severe Verbos-ification with the arrival of the Sequence Selector, CV Processor and Multi Enveloppe (thanks @stazma!) :

Really really like the Sequence Selector and the CV processor so far, have to spend a little more time with it but i'm getting excellent musical results with the Slew. The Enveloppe just got there after some postal shenanigans and it's a nice reunion; I had one back when I didn't know anything about euro. Come to think of it it's the third Verbos modules that I'm re-buying... I was set on all-Verbos at the very beginning, but then was tempted to cram much more in lot lesss space... now I'm back at square one with a little more knowledge and some more hp :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 am

nodog wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 am
All good and well and sounding really sensible but still, all my other modules are working fine with my current Meanwell powersupply.
There are two main factors to take into consideration and have been documented throughout this and other discussions. I’ll paraphrase:

Many eurorack brands operate in a 0-5v cv range, Verbos modules operate in a 0-10v cv range (which, btw, is the Buchla cv range) which is very close to the power supply rails in eurorack (+/-12v). For them to operate correctly within that range, the power supply needs to be able to consistently meet the power needs of the modules. Second, some of the components used in the Verbos modules which enable the unique design and unique features also have power requirements so they initialize correctly. If the power supply is not providing steady, consistent power, those components may not initialize correctly, and thus the module will misbehave.

We can debate all day about design choices and voltage standards, but those are the facts. Verbos created modules with extremely wide operating range and unique features. The trade off is that the modules are more sensitive to power issues. Just make sure you pay attention to your power supply choices and you should be fine.

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:57 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am
Don't know what my power supply is... but i've never had any problem in my case with Intellijel 4u, 7u and MDLR 12u w/mdlr power. I had a Erica synth case for a very brief time at the very beginning where my Complex Oscillator didn't work so I sent the case back.

My system underwent a severe Verbos-ification with the arrival of the Sequence Selector, CV Processor and Multi Enveloppe (thanks @stazma!) :

Really really like the Sequence Selector and the CV processor so far, have to spend a little more time with it but i'm getting excellent musical results with the Slew. The Enveloppe just got there after some postal shenanigans and it's a nice reunion; I had one back when I didn't know anything about euro. Come to think of it it's the third Verbos modules that I'm re-buying... I was set on all-Verbos at the very beginning, but then was tempted to cram much more in lot lesss space... now I'm back at square one with a little more knowledge and some more hp :)
Reffered to the CV Processor i fear the price-performance ratio a bit, but in a „Verbos only System“ i think its essential. Actually i use a Optomix as Mixer/ VCA beside the ATC and the Scan&Pan. The Sequence Selector is very nice, but every day i discover new amazing things with the Delay Processor. Someone wrote Mark said its not only a End-of-chain FX and i think thats the point.

I miss my DFP and i think its time for a re-buy.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 am

There are two main factors to take into consideration and ....
I haven't read the whole thread. Thank you very much for the clear explanation. I'll think over the options.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”