VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by BrokenBo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:22 pm

i recently experienced some unwanted pitch shifts / drifts on my Complex Oscillator. Already wanted to send it to Verbos for a repair but now after i unplugged an Intelljel Plonk Module from the power bus the CO works fine again....so it seems that there ae some incompatibilities with digital modules and the verbos CO.

i am using a frap tools uno 128 case with frap tools power system.

Tom from verbos answered super quickly btw and offered me to repair the module...so absolutely no problems with customer service.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 pm

My multi-env just came in and luckily works fine on my Meanwell powered system.

All the talk upthread made me think though and I'll upgrade my system with better power soon.

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:56 am

One preset output from the Delay Processor into the Noise&Filter and the 630-1.7k output back in the feedback input from the Delay sounds incredible... :nana:

Adapted from the verbos video:

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paul_N » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:58 am

I just noticed that the 42hp black box for the mini-horse showed up in Perfect Circuit’s inventory. It contains one header for the mini-horse as well as the external power supply for $205. I have a mini-horse in my setup right now, and it is interesting to think about it being an external unit, both for potentially better ergonomics, but also because I can use it easily with modules that aren’t in my case, let alone free up 42hp.

The most interesting thing is what Mark said in Sonic State’s interview with Mark at 2020 - he mentioned that the case could work with “perhaps future modules that we design”. That’d be a single 42hp module. I’d love for that to be an expanded VMS, closer to the MARF. They are always talking about the VMS being the brain of their patches in the various YouTube videos - it’d be awesome to see a 2xVMS, although components would have to shrink down - the VMS weighs in at 30hp as-is. The foundation oscillator is 12hp for reference; so they’d have to give up some of the large knobs and position things thoughtfully...

All just speculation/daydreaming though.

dros3raq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dros3raq » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 pm

My Synthrotek Case Power plays nice with all my modules except for the Verbos Electronics Touchplate Keyboard. Sometimes the module spits out random quantized voltages every time a key is pressed. After reading this thread, I suspect the problem may not be the Verbos module, but instead my non-linear switching PSU.

I've tried reaching out to the Verbos contact page about my problem, but I never heard back :help:

I want to power the Touchplate Keyboard externally via the DC input and I've been looking at...

PSU:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekpower-TP150 ... Sw3utY5BFr

DC adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-4mm-Male- ... %7Ciid%3A1

I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not, but I would be so grateful if anyone who can point me in the right direction :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:46 am

dros3raq wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 pm
My Synthrotek Case Power plays nice with all my modules except for the Verbos Electronics Touchplate Keyboard. Sometimes the module spits out random quantized voltages every time a key is pressed. After reading this thread, I suspect the problem may not be the Verbos module, but instead my non-linear switching PSU.

I've tried reaching out to the Verbos contact page about my problem, but I never heard back :help:

I want to power the Touchplate Keyboard externally via the DC input and I've been looking at...

PSU:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekpower-TP150 ... Sw3utY5BFr

DC adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-4mm-Male- ... %7Ciid%3A1

I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not, but I would be so grateful if anyone who can point me in the right direction :tu:
did you use the contact form from the website? i just recently contacted them and got an answer very shortly after that.

shanebroderick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shanebroderick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:48 am

Does anyone have any experience with the new Make Noise Cv-Bus or Elite Cases and the newer 2019 Verbos batch modules? I wanted to buy a few Verbos modules but all the reported power issues and scaring me off now.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by advrsry » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 pm

I wouldn't worry about it that much. I have 6 Verbos modules and a few digital modules right now in a case with the Make Noise busboard and it works just fine.

dros3raq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dros3raq » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:10 pm

I filled out the online form and just heard back from Tom after commenting on this thread. I'm going to go ahead and try using the new PSU and if the problem persists, Tom said I could send it their U.S. technician. I'll let you know how it goes :)

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:06 am

dros3raq wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:10 pm
I filled out the online form and just heard back from Tom after commenting on this thread. I'm going to go ahead and try using the new PSU and if the problem persists, Tom said I could send it their U.S. technician. I'll let you know how it goes :)
great news! i hope your problem gets resolved soon!

shanebroderick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shanebroderick » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Does anyone use Befaco's Rampage successfully in a Verbos system as an alternative to the multi envelope?

100000bps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 100000bps » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm

I have a question regarding the bark filter. Anybody knows what voltages are expected at inputs for frequency scan & spectral tilt ?
I use Planar 2 Y output into Spectral Tilt and cant get it to go Low/High fully in both bipolar and unipolar mode even with attenuator on verbos set to max L/R ... After checking im quite sure its broken ? i can, using the same voltage source (tried ochd and few other things) get frequency scan and center move fully from right to left & back, but Spectral Tilt only moves "half the way".

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:57 pm

100000bps wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm
I have a question regarding the bark filter. Anybody knows what voltages are expected at inputs for frequency scan & spectral tilt ?
I use Planar 2 Y output into Spectral Tilt and cant get it to go Low/High fully in both bipolar and unipolar mode even with attenuator on verbos set to max L/R ... After checking im quite sure its broken ? i can, using the same voltage source (tried ochd and few other things) get frequency scan and center move fully from right to left & back, but Spectral Tilt only moves "half the way".
Same for the spectral tilt on the harmonic oscillator. I asked Verbos about this and Tom said that all of the spectral tilt controls are set up to respond in the way you described.

100000bps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 100000bps » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:25 pm

Okay, tyvm for response :)

climate
Common Wiggler

Post by climate » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 am
Just wondering... Does anyone use their Verbos modules in Intellijel' Stealth Performance cases or Make Noise CV Bus cases (the 7U ones.) If yes, how do your modules react to the PSUs from the cases?

I need to buy one next and I'd rather save some space for a module instead of putting my Row Power in there but I had very bad experiences with Meanwell PSUs and Verbos modules.

Thanks in advance.
All Verbos (minus the 1u and a natural gate) in intellijel 104hp performance case (TPS80W MAX?). No issues for me.

duncanperson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duncanperson » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 am

100000bps wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm
I just got the planar 2 and also have the bark filter (and many other verbos modules), sounds like its working as expected. Planar 2 goes works on -/+5V bipolar or 0-10V unipolar (just measured with a meter), and verbos modules work on -/+10V, so you will never get the full range unless you put the planar output through a bipolar VCA that can go up to 10V. using a VCA I was able to get -/+10V from the planar 2 and tilt the bark filter the whole way 8-)

On a side note, most Verbos modules use a 0-10V output, but I just found that the VMS sequencer goes up to 10.6V. This is great when used in a Verbos system but I have found it creates issues with some VCAs without passive input attenuators, eg the vermona quadropol :confused: normally it works on -/+10V but with verbos it kind chops of the top and only goes to around 9V.

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:38 am

I had great customer support from Verbos with a really tricky problem and Mark finally solved it! I am very happy! Sometimes, it isn’t easy to spot a problem somewhere between lot‘s of different psu’s, transistors pushed to their boundaries and all the discrete stuff and user error.
They really do a great job and do their best to make us happy!

youkon

Post by youkon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 am

At the moment, I have two CO in my case. An old one (vactrols) and a new one.
Really can't decide which one to keep! Both have their strengths.
The vactrol one's wavefolder is more roaring/there's definitely more going on here.
The newer one without vactrols seems to handle FM better, wavefolding is more straight forward.
AM, I think I like more on the old one

It's like with AT&C vs Amp&Tone. Both sound different but in a good way. The newer one has more presence, less low end, there is much more going on in the gain as well, can sound almost like wavefolding! Really love both (my AT&C must be around second generation as I once heard one which seemed older and screamed a lot nastier on the resonance) But my AT&C has balls! oh boy:-) the new amp&tone hasn't these big balls (low end). So they compliment each other I think and I wouldn't get rid of the old one just to save some HP!

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 am

There’s a CO without vactrols?
Can you take a photo of the back?

youkon

Post by youkon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am

yes, must be latest revision (as there are no more vactrols available, I think). Don't want to take it out of the case atm, but will do.

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Triglav wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 am
Here is mine, bought in 2019. No vactrols...
F7C225FA-661F-4129-8BBB-922AE5F23CB9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:38 pm

belsina wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Triglav wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 am
Here is mine, bought in 2019. No vactrols...

F7C225FA-661F-4129-8BBB-922AE5F23CB9.jpeg
The polarity signs next to those non-descript black rectangular boxes suggests that those are vactrols. They could be home-made vactrols. All you need is an LED and a photo sensor. Buchla uses similar home-made vactrols in some of the 200e modules. I could be wrong, but I think that’s a reasonable conclusion.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Found this project for printing vactrols including the black box. I’ll bet those black rectangle boxes on the CO circuit board are printed vactrols https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:524817

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:38 pm

I think those are polarized capacitors. (If you mean C19 and C20. C=capacitor R=resistor D=diode Q=transistor)
They would need to have 4 or 5 leads to be a vactrol and they only seem to have two.

https://www.digikey.bg/product-detail/e ... -ND/742951

Oh and thanks for the photo! I'd be curious to hear a sound comparison too.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”