VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
AndreFish
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by AndreFish » Sun May 31, 2020 1:54 pm

It's not completely loose, they just don't have the nice resistance the other Verbos have. That includes the attenuators.

User avatar
Triglav
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:42 pm
Location: Budapest
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Triglav » Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm

AndreFish wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:52 am
Hi,

Recently got a second hand Dual Four Pole, which sounds great, but all the knob turns feel very loose compared to my other Verbos modules. Is this normal for a Dual Four Pole, or is it a possibility that the potentiometers have worn out with use?
They've changed the pots sometime around 2016. My CO and DFP which I got in 2016 feel considerably looser than my VMS and RS which I got later. I've thought about replacing the pots to match but it seemed too much of a hassle so far.

AndreFish
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by AndreFish » Sun May 31, 2020 3:18 pm

That might be it, because it's all the knobs, not just the most used ones. Thanks

illlumen
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by illlumen » Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 pm

I started some weeks agree with my first rack.
At first I got the CO which had some issues so I had so send it back. Got the HO instead, which I really love. But I missed the CO already, so I bought it again just to compare it to the HO.
Originally my idea was to decide which of the two I want to keep.

Image

Now I am gonna keep both - and my rack suddenly is complete.
At least for now. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Godphaser
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Godphaser » Sun May 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Did a 30 minutes live stream set last night heavily focused on the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator:

New York Modular Society - Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/wNvWey

AndreFish
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by AndreFish » Sun May 31, 2020 9:34 pm

illlumen wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 pm
I started some weeks agree with my first rack.
At first I got the CO which had some issues so I had so send it back. Got the HO instead, which I really love. But I missed the CO already, so I bought it again just to compare it to the HO.
Originally my idea was to decide which of the two I want to keep.

Image

Now I am gonna keep both - and my rack suddenly is complete.
At least for now. ;)
I've been thinking about selling my HO to get another CO. Both are great, but I usually prefer the CO when choosing an oscillator. A lot of times the HO tends to make things sound major with the 5th harmonic (if I'm not mistaken). Makes things difficult to balance with it being so prominent in the middle.

illlumen
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by illlumen » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:48 am

AndreFish wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:34 pm
illlumen wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 pm
I started some weeks agree with my first rack.
At first I got the CO which had some issues so I had so send it back. Got the HO instead, which I really love. But I missed the CO already, so I bought it again just to compare it to the HO.
Originally my idea was to decide which of the two I want to keep.

Image

Now I am gonna keep both - and my rack suddenly is complete.
At least for now. ;)
I've been thinking about selling my HO to get another CO. Both are great, but I usually prefer the CO when choosing an oscillator. A lot of times the HO tends to make things sound major with the 5th harmonic (if I'm not mistaken). Makes things difficult to balance with it being so prominent in the middle.
To be honest I have quite a hate-love relationship with the VHO.
I like it for its organic quality and for drones and moving textures. But IF I had to choose I'd surely choose the CO. But I like the sound of the VHO, too. Sometimes it is a little bit too sizzling which rises the need for a reverb which is never a good sign.

User avatar
valouxxx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 am
Location: BELGIUM (Bruxelles)

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by valouxxx » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:34 am

Here's a little techno jam with snares and hats made by Verbos electronics random sampling in a Make Noise Optomix.
Secondary trigs by Mutable Instrument Grids in euclidian mode in the strike inputs of the optomix.


Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Paul_N » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Foundation Oscillator just arrived today! After spending a few minutes with it, I’m really digging the wavefolder and rich sounds coming out of it. Definitely a different sound than the CO/HO, but complements them nicely. Great harmonics in the high/low ends. I’ll post a video later on this evening with some sounds.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 am

Paul_N wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Foundation Oscillator just arrived today! After spending a few minutes with it, I’m really digging the wavefolder and rich sounds coming out of it. Definitely a different sound than the CO/HO, but complements them nicely. Great harmonics in the high/low ends. I’ll post a video later on this evening with some sounds.
Exciting! Doesn't seem to be available in US stores just yet. Looking forward to hearing some sounds - considering this now and then adding a complex OsC later.

A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 am

i gave it half a look before and expected it to be a half-size / half-price verbos oscillator. i looked again after i read this and now i wonder where to find the extra 12hp. i don't think i'd be into eurorack without verbos. their modules are costly, to say the least, and not always without some issues or bonus noise, but the designs and sounds are always exciting.
it's never straight up and down

platform91
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Leeds

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by platform91 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm

Sooo I impulse bought an Amp and Tone recently and forgot to check the power requirements. My Doepfer low cost case doesn't have the beans to get it working :(

I'm actually rediscovering Eurorack after a few years off, so wanted to check here to get advice on what the best/cheapest option would be to get this thing powered? Was thinking a uZeus but not sure if that would do it.

Help would be much appreciated :)

A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:48 pm

huh? you must have checked and know what you're saying, but the only thing i can think of is that doepfer may lack the 5V option. but i don't think the ATC needs that. it's not that demanding at all, i think. could it be something else?
it's never straight up and down

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:59 pm

platform91 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm
Sooo I impulse bought an Amp and Tone recently and forgot to check the power requirements. My Doepfer low cost case doesn't have the beans to get it working :(
Which low cost case do you have? 3U, 6U, 9U?

All three provide enough power for the ATC. Are you sure the module power cable is plugged in correctly? It's easy to be off by one pin, or only seated on 1/2 of the pins.

A.S. wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:48 pm
huh? you must have checked and know what you're saying, but the only thing i can think of is that doepfer may lack the 5V option. but i don't think the ATC needs that. it's not that demanding at all, i think. could it be something else?
It's doesn't require +5v
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Ummm, I guess you would call it techno.


platform91
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Leeds

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by platform91 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:48 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:59 pm
platform91 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm
Sooo I impulse bought an Amp and Tone recently and forgot to check the power requirements. My Doepfer low cost case doesn't have the beans to get it working :(
Which low cost case do you have? 3U, 6U, 9U?

All three provide enough power for the ATC. Are you sure the module power cable is plugged in correctly? It's easy to be off by one pin, or only seated on 1/2 of the pins.

A.S. wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:48 pm
huh? you must have checked and know what you're saying, but the only thing i can think of is that doepfer may lack the 5V option. but i don't think the ATC needs that. it's not that demanding at all, i think. could it be something else?
It's doesn't require +5v
It's the 9U case, with just under 6u of modules installed. I'm sure it's in correctly and have tried a few different ports or different rows etc. It's powering up and letting a signal through but the filter isn't working at all so instantly thought this must be a power thing. But if it doesn't need additional power maybe it's just faulty?

A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:27 pm

something might be wrong with the module.
so, it lets signal through - and does it respond to the cv input, so with the bid dial down and the vca opening on cv input?

and the filtering. i assume you have the tone control fully open then. and it doesn't respond to turnung back the dial? how about the resonance? and the cv inputs?
it's never straight up and down

Milanese
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Milanese » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Pretty new to Eurorack here, I got an Arturia rackbrute 6u and want to fill it with Verbos stuff. I read a few pages back about possible power fussiness is that actually a thing or can I just go ahead and fill my boots?

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:19 pm

platform91 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:48 pm
It's the 9U case, with just under 6u of modules installed. I'm sure it's in correctly and have tried a few different ports or different rows etc. It's powering up and letting a signal through but the filter isn't working at all so instantly thought this must be a power thing. But if it doesn't need additional power maybe it's just faulty?
The 9U definitely has enough power. If you set the knobs like they are set in this photo, the signal should pass through unaltered:
A6F26A0D-BAF1-498C-BF01-A07B092FDC67.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Milanese wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 pm
Pretty new to Eurorack here, I got an Arturia rackbrute 6u and want to fill it with Verbos stuff. I read a few pages back about possible power fussiness is that actually a thing or can I just go ahead and fill my boots?
Yes. It is an actual thing. It's been covered in detail multiple times in this thread. The short answer is that it depends on what kind of power supply the rackbrute has. If the rackbrute has a true linear power supply you will be fine. If it has a switching power supply with linear regulation you should be fine. if it just has a switching power supply with no linear regulation, then you will most likely run into problems.

User avatar
BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 am
Location: Vienna

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by BrokenBo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:28 am

i had two rackbrute cases before with tons of verbos in them. no problems at all. go ahead and fill that thing!

A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:36 am

mritenburg wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:38 pm
Milanese wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 pm
Pretty new to Eurorack here, I got an Arturia rackbrute 6u and want to fill it with Verbos stuff. I read a few pages back about possible power fussiness is that actually a thing or can I just go ahead and fill my boots?
Yes. It is an actual thing. It's been covered in detail multiple times in this thread.
one of the reasons, i rarely participate or even read here on muff wiggler, is that interesting threads tend to get very long, very quickly. and then often all kinds of more or less related topics find a place in 1 thread like 'verbos electronics'. it's obviously working for a lot of (very frequent) readers and posters here, i guess, but i have trouble getting used to that. i'm not a big reader.

i just realised that. having said that, i am gonna start at page 1, to see what's been said about power supplies in relation to (any specific) verbos modules.
in fact, i might have contributed to this, i once had some problems with the ever speeding up voltage multistage. but that was a bug verbos quickly recognised and fixed. anyway....
it's never straight up and down

Milanese
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Milanese » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:35 am

Thanks folks! I’m looking forward to it.

User avatar
youkon
frequency research department
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Germany, Stuttgart

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by youkon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:57 pm

I use rackbrute with verbos only for more than two years now.
BTW, the original verbos power comes from a switched psu as well!

advrsry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 am
Location: Modular Grid

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by advrsry » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 pm

Yeah I think the PSU is what I'm most interested in with the upcoming systems they talked about.

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:38 pm

youkon wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:57 pm
I use rackbrute with verbos only for more than two years now.
BTW, the original verbos power comes from a switched psu as well!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the power distribution boards inside the case include linear regulation. You're talking about this, right? Switched PSU + linear regulation.
verbos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”