VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:48 am

is there an easy way to see if a switched psu has linear regulation?
it's never straight up and down

advrsry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 am
Location: Modular Grid

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by advrsry » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:34 am

A.S. wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:48 am
is there an easy way to see if a switched psu has linear regulation?
Usually it's noted by the manufacturer, but best to ask them.

A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:12 am

OK - thanks. i guess it's mostly noted when it has in fact linear regulation. (nobody wants to advertise the lack of it, i guess.)

i don't think i'm ready to change cases or power supply over it (once more.) issues so far are limited to the dual 4pole being noisy (and picking up the sound of oscillators on the same busboard, even when they're not patched. it's my noisy filter, i like it.
it's never straight up and down

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:55 am

A.S. wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:12 am
OK - thanks. i guess it's mostly noted when it has in fact linear regulation. (nobody wants to advertise the lack of it, i guess.)

i don't think i'm ready to change cases or power supply over it (once more.) issues so far are limited to the dual 4pole being noisy (and picking up the sound of oscillators on the same busboard, even when they're not patched. it's my noisy filter, i like it.
There is a separate noise issue with early revision DFP's that is unrelated to the power supply. Verbos has a fix for it.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Ummm, I guess you would call it techno.


A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 am

i got this one off reverb recently and the seller said it was a recent version and quiet ;-)

to be honest, this must be like my 5th or 6th dual4pole. i have been in and out of eurorack 5 or 6 times. when it got out of hand, i went cold turkey.
but always falling off the wagon again, after a few months or a year.....
each time verbos was the dominant brand in my set. i don't think i'd be into eurorack if it wasn't for verbos. although i have reduced its share in my case. i'll take it out and check the rev. maybe.
Last edited by A.S. on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's never straight up and down

0x80
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by 0x80 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Loving the new additions. I am wishing for a 2020 version of the DFP, to slim it down like the ATC. It would make so much sense, given the massive size in relation to its function.
Last edited by 0x80 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.S.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by A.S. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 pm

someone bought my 2nd ATC a few weeks back, because he found the new slim one was noisy.
it's never straight up and down

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:54 pm

0x80 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm
Loving the new additions. I am wishing for a 2020 version of the DFP, to slim it down like the AT. It would make so much sense, given the massive size in relation to its function.
That might be difficult, have you seen the size of the module the DFP is inspired by? It’s double-wide 4U. If Catalyst Audio/Buchla ever release the euro version of the 191 it’s going to big like this;
5C1F7634-46B8-4F00-91E3-18AA8FAC2401.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:59 pm

A.S. wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 pm
someone bought my 2nd ATC a few weeks back, because he found the new slim one was noisy.
I got a original ATC the other week and it's awesome. I don't really mind the size for the sound you get.

modul8tr
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 am
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by modul8tr » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:45 pm

0x80 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm
Loving the new additions. I am wishing for a 2020 version of the DFP, to slim it down like the ATC. It would make so much sense, given the massive size in relation to its function.

I hear people mention the size vs function thing a lot and have come to feel that argument is more relevant to manufacturers that *aren’t* making modules envisioned as part of a full instrument.

Interface is massively important in igniting some unique creative interaction between artist and instrument. How it feels, the ergonomics, the size of a knob, how smoothly it turns etc.

The size of the Verbos kit is fantastic and has wonderful ergonomics. There’s a certain physicality to it that’s more natural (for me) and affects the way I play it. Everything is easier to see and doesn’t feel squished together. Squished because the idea is to cram as much function as possible into whatever space a synthesist has allocated to it, not necessarily because it’s what’s best for ergonomics, playability, enjoyment.

All different approaches and none are right or wrong, However, I often read comments on the size of Verbos modules and feel people don’t get that they're kind of their own thing. All of his modules are part of one full instrument and if you’re drawn to it, just realize it’s like taking a section out of an Arp 2600 (designed with the intention of being it’s own thing) or similar and adding it to your case where many (if not all) your modules were designed with saving space as a top design criteria.

Just saw a video from Moog featuring Trent Reznor gushing about the Minimoog and Voyager (I’m right there with him!) and the video ends with him talking about the importance of interface design. It relates directly to this. I think he’s spot on.

I tend to go for full systems by individual makers and like larger modules. Got the Make Noise Mimeophon (LOVELY) not too long ago and felt an extra 4hp on that interface would make it perfect. Beyond the wonderful sound, that spacious clean interface on the Lyra Fx module from Soma looks like it would be lovely to play and is a huge part of the reason I’ll be bringing it into the fold.

Milanese
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Milanese » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:18 pm

Totally agree, the feel and the layout of the tools influences the performance and playability. The immediacy of single function controls and the space afforded to the most commonly used or finely tweaked controls cannot be overstated. Verbos seem to have this design principle as a high priority.

bollyhood
Common Wiggler
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 am

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by bollyhood » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:34 am

Yeah agree with modul8or, Verbos has been one of the few that still have playability even in complex patches. Actually worried they start making smaller modules now, Eurorack is tiny to begin with compared to stand alone synths. And never understood small filter thing, thats something I want to perform, and when they are hidden under cable salad I just dont play them as much. Same with everything else.

I think small stuff is better suitable for self generating patches, clock dividers, logic etc. or things ”behind the scenes” in a patch, like attenuverters and stuff like that. Verbos seem fully aware of this.

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by The Junglechrist » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 am

Forgot to post this patch over here, some classic shimmery use of the Multi-Delay :



Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by zerodivide » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm

modul8tr wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:45 pm
0x80 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm
Loving the new additions. I am wishing for a 2020 version of the DFP, to slim it down like the ATC. It would make so much sense, given the massive size in relation to its function.

I hear people mention the size vs function thing a lot and have come to feel that argument is more relevant to manufacturers that *aren’t* making modules envisioned as part of a full instrument.

Interface is massively important in igniting some unique creative interaction between artist and instrument. How it feels, the ergonomics, the size of a knob, how smoothly it turns etc.

The size of the Verbos kit is fantastic and has wonderful ergonomics. There’s a certain physicality to it that’s more natural (for me) and affects the way I play it. Everything is easier to see and doesn’t feel squished together. Squished because the idea is to cram as much function as possible into whatever space a synthesist has allocated to it, not necessarily because it’s what’s best for ergonomics, playability, enjoyment.

All different approaches and none are right or wrong, However, I often read comments on the size of Verbos modules and feel people don’t get that they're kind of their own thing. All of his modules are part of one full instrument and if you’re drawn to it, just realize it’s like taking a section out of an Arp 2600 (designed with the intention of being it’s own thing) or similar and adding it to your case where many (if not all) your modules were designed with saving space as a top design criteria.

Just saw a video from Moog featuring Trent Reznor gushing about the Minimoog and Voyager (I’m right there with him!) and the video ends with him talking about the importance of interface design. It relates directly to this. I think he’s spot on.

I tend to go for full systems by individual makers and like larger modules. Got the Make Noise Mimeophon (LOVELY) not too long ago and felt an extra 4hp on that interface would make it perfect. Beyond the wonderful sound, that spacious clean interface on the Lyra Fx module from Soma looks like it would be lovely to play and is a huge part of the reason I’ll be bringing it into the fold.
eh.. just because Verbos has a full complete system doesn't mean the modules "arent meant" to be used as individual modules in mixed vendor system. I'm sure Mark is happy to sell to both demographics. I personally have 0 desire to stick to a single manufacturer, for me modular is all about making a Frankestein synth that caters to the kind of music you want to make. For me the music is more important than aesthetics. But I think either viewpoint is valid. Lets not rush to say what it's supposed to do

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:31 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm
eh.. just because Verbos has a full complete system doesn't mean the modules "arent meant" to be used as individual modules in mixed vendor system. I'm sure Mark is happy to sell to both demographics. I personally have 0 desire to stick to a single manufacturer, for me modular is all about making a Frankestein synth that caters to the kind of music you want to make. For me the music is more important than aesthetics. But I think either viewpoint is valid. Lets not rush to say what it's supposed to do
I agree with this. If eurorack is about anything, it is about choice. The desire for a single manufacturer system, the desire for a highly personalized frankensynth, and all points in between and outside, are all equally valid choices.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Ummm, I guess you would call it techno.


User avatar
nomass
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am
Location: DC

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by nomass » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:56 pm

Sometimes with Verbos, modules with their many envelope followers and outputs, it feels like I’m tending a fire that’s about to go out. Especially with the Multi-Delay. Often the envelopes would stop or stay at max if I were to walk away, but if I just keep the knobs in motion, and monitor the situation, amazing sounds come out.

User avatar
nomass
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am
Location: DC

Post by nomass » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:56 pm

Dreaded double post

modul8tr
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 am
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by modul8tr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:42 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm
modul8tr wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:45 pm
0x80 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm
Loving the new additions. I am wishing for a 2020 version of the DFP, to slim it down like the ATC. It would make so much sense, given the massive size in relation to its function.
eh.. just because Verbos has a full complete system doesn't mean the modules "arent meant" to be used as individual modules in mixed vendor system. I'm sure Mark is happy to sell to both demographics. I personally have 0 desire to stick to a single manufacturer, for me modular is all about making a Frankestein synth that caters to the kind of music you want to make. For me the music is more important than aesthetics. But I think either viewpoint is valid. Lets not rush to say what it's supposed to do

I agree with you :) You may have missed several parts of my post as I never said what anyone is “supposed” to do or that Verbos modules can not be used in a mixed system.

My point was that if you buy a large Verbos module and then criticize the size of it you’re missing the vision behind why it was created that way. Yes anyone can and should buy them if they like them, but they were created as an individual piece of a full instrument and because of this they follow their own rules.

You say “music is more important than aesthetics”. Would like to clarify, I wasn’t talking about aesthetics (though those Verbos modules are beautiful as well :love: ) I’m talking about design/ergonomics/playability. Again, I mentioned that in my first post.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:24 am

I finally received my FO ! I ordered it back in january :) Really psyched that it's here.

JJust put it in the rack so this has nothing to do with it, it's the Red Panel 158 through the DFP (which the more I use the more I like).


User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:24 am
I finally received my FO !
Recorded a quick first patch with it just now.


I really like it so far ! Quite different from the Co which is good ! Need to dig much deeper of course.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Thanks for that!

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by zerodivide » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:49 am

modul8tr wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:42 pm
zerodivide wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm
modul8tr wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:45 pm
0x80 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm
Loving the new additions. I am wishing for a 2020 version of the DFP, to slim it down like the ATC. It would make so much sense, given the massive size in relation to its function.
eh.. just because Verbos has a full complete system doesn't mean the modules "arent meant" to be used as individual modules in mixed vendor system. I'm sure Mark is happy to sell to both demographics. I personally have 0 desire to stick to a single manufacturer, for me modular is all about making a Frankestein synth that caters to the kind of music you want to make. For me the music is more important than aesthetics. But I think either viewpoint is valid. Lets not rush to say what it's supposed to do

I agree with you :) You may have missed several parts of my post as I never said what anyone is “supposed” to do or that Verbos modules can not be used in a mixed system.

My point was that if you buy a large Verbos module and then criticize the size of it you’re missing the vision behind why it was created that way. Yes anyone can and should buy them if they like them, but they were created as an individual piece of a full instrument and because of this they follow their own rules.

You say “music is more important than aesthetics”. Would like to clarify, I wasn’t talking about aesthetics (though those Verbos modules are beautiful as well :love: ) I’m talking about design/ergonomics/playability. Again, I mentioned that in my first post.
fair enough

geoffmar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:38 am

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by geoffmar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:24 am
I finally received my FO !
Recorded a quick first patch with it just now.


I really like it so far ! Quite different from the Co which is good ! Need to dig much deeper of course.
Sounds great, is that just the foundation oscillator through a delay? how is it compared to that red panel oscillator? I'm looking at getting this foundation oscillator in a bit when funds (and supply) allow. My system is mainly intellijel but i'm looking to add a bit of that buchla flavour with an oscillator

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:39 am

geoffmar wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:54 pm
Sounds great, is that just the foundation oscillator through a delay? how is it compared to that red panel oscillator? I'm looking at getting this foundation oscillator in a bit when funds (and supply) allow. My system is mainly intellijel but i'm looking to add a bit of that buchla flavour with an oscillator
Thanks ! It's the FO into the Dual Four Pole then into Lxd and a Delay.
It's quite different from the Red Panel osc. Only one oscillator but much more cv control with modern features. The Red Panel sounds great, but it has very limited cv control and you need offsets/mixers to really get the best of it (or the Model 156 which is its companion module). But it's two oscillators and the fm is very very sweet. Also love the sound of the waveshape from sine to saw, wish it had cv :waah:

User avatar
Godphaser
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Godphaser » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:06 pm

2 performances where I use the Harmonic Oscillator as the main oscillator:



New York Modular Society - Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/wNvWey

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”