VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by transistorresistor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Godphaser wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:06 pm
2 performances where I use the Harmonic Oscillator as the main oscillator:
dig that second one dude!

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:42 pm

transistorresistor wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:29 pm
dig that second one dude!
Thanks a lot!
New York Modular Society - Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/wNvWey

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 am

just want to re-iterate that for me the Verbos CO is the best oscillator in the world :)
so many amazing sounds out of this thing

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 am

Wholeheartedly agree !

The new Foundation Oscillator isn't too bad either :)

here FM'd by the Red Panel 158 :

Puscha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Puscha » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:23 am

Just released my new album earlier today that is oozing with Harmonic Oscillator! Minimalist, cinematic ambient music:

The 5th track, Condemnate was a fully improvised one take performance with the HO, going through a long delay on Mimeophon to create a sense of polyphony. This thing has so much sound!

This module really is the Verbos gateway drug, in the last two months I've sold off a lot to make room for the Complex Oscillator, Multi-Delay, Mini Horse in Black Box, Foundation Oscillator, a Bark Filter on the way, and will pick up a Noise Filter too, spread across two cases. Just excellent tonal quality!

Finding that Verbos works very well with Mannequins modules.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:36 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 am
Wholeheartedly agree !

The new Foundation Oscillator isn't too bad either :)

here FM'd by the Red Panel 158 :

Great sound as always, picked up the Foundation Oscillator as my first verbos module and i'm really loving the tone. I'm wondering what else to add from Verbos to get more of that meaty tone... Amp+tone? Four pole?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am

The amp and tone is definitely a staple (although it wasn't used there; it was lxd). I much prefer the V1 that I have now that I've tried the new V2.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 am

AT v1 is one of my favorite modules - just pure awesome.

A.S.
Common Wiggler

Post by A.S. » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:56 am

speaking of verbos... i traded a sputnik touch key, with the intention of selling it on (since i already have the verbos touch key) but eh.....
i had read about the sputnik being flimsy, unreliable - but it works just great. and yes, the verbos feels heavier, better built maybe, more sturdy and the sputnik does look a bit cheapish grey, but still, it has some nice extra features, the arpeggiator, the poly mode, the touchs trip cv/gate. it responds very well to the touch too. why should i hang on to the (more expensive) verbos?
it's never straight up and down

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
The amp and tone is definitely a staple (although it wasn't used there; it was lxd). I much prefer the V1 that I have now that I've tried the new V2.
how is the v2 different from the v1?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
v2 is a redesigned circuit with no Vactrol. The panel is also smaller so it takes up less space. Otherwise, nearly the same.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Ummm, I guess you would call it techno.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:48 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:41 pm
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
v2 is a redesigned circuit with no Vactrol. The panel is also smaller so it takes up less space. Otherwise, nearly the same.
eeek no vactrol is a really big deal. Presume the V2 is much more linear, yeah?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:48 pm
eeek no vactrol is a really big deal. Presume the V2 is much more linear, yeah?
What do you mean by linear? v1 and v2 both have exponential and linear cv inputs for the VCA.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:03 pm

the response of a vactrol is very non linear- they dont typically turn on and off on a linear plot. The design choice to implement a vactrol is often based upon the desirability of the curve that the individual device has, not all vactrols are the same but they tend to follow log curves. This same quality is challenging to replicate w transistors. If you have some experience using optical compressors, like an La2, the curve of the release is based on a vactrol-like element and its release curve is much less linear compared to say, an 1176 (or most any other transistor based time constant circuit). So switching out the vactrol would likely yield a different feeling circuit. Was looking at the new amp and tone becasue it had gotten smaller but didnt realize they revised the circuit, the whole reason i was cuirous about it in the first place was because of the vactrol. thanks for the info!

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:03 pm
the response of a vactrol is very non linear- they dont typically turn on and off on a linear plot.
Right, Colloquially, the Vactrol “Ring” (or non-linear response as you described it) will obviously be missing from the v2, but the vca still offers both exponential and linear response curves to cv.

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Puscha wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:23 am
Just released my new album earlier today that is oozing with Harmonic Oscillator! Minimalist, cinematic ambient music:

just played this through, really nice work!! what reverb are you using on this? really dig the ambient space youve created.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:52 pm

[/quote]
Otherwise, nearly the same.
[/quote]

They really are quite different. The v2 is much more aggressive. The gain on v1 is a beautiful fuzz, the v2 is borderline a distortion. The filter/resonance don’t sound the same. Maybe it’s possible to get the same results with both; but at similar settings they sound rather different. V2 is more prone to noise too but that might be highly power dépendant.

Just my opinion of course now that I’ve tried the v2 and after having the v1 for quite a while.

Puscha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Puscha » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm
Puscha wrote:

just played this through, really nice work!! what reverb are you using on this? really dig the ambient space youve created.
Thank you! I mostly used only Halo on the Mimeophon and delays to create space. There is a touch of Trueverb plug-in on the first and fourth tracks (just a room setting, really) which both use DLD instead of Mimeophon, and fourth track also uses the 8 bit delay setting on OTO Biscuit. But yeah, reverb was used pretty sparingly in this one.

I now have the Multi-Delay, which is amazing with Mimeophon!

JSHG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JSHG » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 pm

A.S. wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:56 am
speaking of verbos... i traded a sputnik touch key, with the intention of selling it on (since i already have the verbos touch key) but eh.....
i had read about the sputnik being flimsy, unreliable - but it works just great. and yes, the verbos feels heavier, better built maybe, more sturdy and the sputnik does look a bit cheapish grey, but still, it has some nice extra features, the arpeggiator, the poly mode, the touchs trip cv/gate. it responds very well to the touch too. why should i hang on to the (more expensive) verbos?
My Sputnik Keyboard, like times out all the time and I have to power down. ITs weird. No clue, but when it works.... It slays

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:34 am

Puscha wrote:

The 5th track, Condemnate was a fully improvised one take performance with the HO, going through a long delay on Mimeophon to create a sense of polyphony. This thing has so much sound!

This module really is the Verbos gateway drug, in the last two months I've sold off a lot to make room for the Complex Oscillator, Multi-Delay, Mini Horse in Black Box, Foundation Oscillator, a Bark Filter on the way, and will pick up a Noise Filter too, spread across two cases. Just excellent tonal quality!

Finding that Verbos works very well with Mannequins modules.
Great album congrats :yay:
I can hear some Just Friends rhythmic modulations on 2nd and 5th track, right?

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Random question that I'm sure has been addressed here before but I still thought i'd give it a shot. I can get a fairly good deal on an endorphin.es furthrrrr generator. I just got a foundation oscillator and I'm blown away by the sound quality of this module, which is making mean lean towards getting a verbos complex oscillator instead. Does anyone have both in their systems? I've heard the CO is a little more "vintage" and the furthrrrr is a little more "clean." I'll also be getting a Verbos AMP+Tone with it. Just kicking tires. But I am really blown away by how good this foundation oscillator sounds in my (Mainly intellijel) system.

A.S.
Common Wiggler

Post by A.S. » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 pm

i happen to have all 3, foundation, co and furthrrr. i like them all very much. i don't know about vintage. i woul not be into eurorack if it wasn't for verbos. but that furthrrr is great stuff too. i like the co for its feel, and the sound, sure - but i would say the furthrrr is (much) more versatile.maybe a little thinner....
it's never straight up and down

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:45 pm

geoffmar wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:26 pm
Random question that I'm sure has been addressed here before but I still thought i'd give it a shot. I can get a fairly good deal on an endorphin.es furthrrrr generator. I just got a foundation oscillator and I'm blown away by the sound quality of this module, which is making mean lean towards getting a verbos complex oscillator instead. Does anyone have both in their systems? I've heard the CO is a little more "vintage" and the furthrrrr is a little more "clean." I'll also be getting a Verbos AMP+Tone with it. Just kicking tires. But I am really blown away by how good this foundation oscillator sounds in my (Mainly intellijel) system.
I had a Furthrrrr generator but sold it, kept the Verbos CO. I think you need to take into consideration which core the Furthrrrr has. It can have an analog core or a digital Strong FM core. The analog core has lots of analog warmth. The digital core is going to sound cleaner. The biggest difference to my ears was how the Furthrrr responded to modulation. Because there are no vactrols in the modulation path, it was a bit more harsh in how it responded to modulation. My Verbos CO is the oldest rev and responds very nicely to modulation. I understand the newer Verbos CO’s also do not have vactrols, but I have yet to hear a newer CO compared to a Furthrrrr.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I think with the foundation oscillator and the furthrrrr generator combo i'd have the most versatility in sound, so that's what I think i'll go with. Whenever stuff cools off and I can try stuff in shops again I'll give the CO a try!!

seicocorp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seicocorp » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:21 pm

geoffmar wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:48 pm
Thanks for the responses guys. I think with the foundation oscillator and the furthrrrr generator combo i'd have the most versatility in sound, so that's what I think i'll go with. Whenever stuff cools off and I can try stuff in shops again I'll give the CO a try!!
Tried them both in a store and found the furthrrrr is a lot more fun to use and a little bit sweeter and smoother sounding which I loved for those Buchla tones, Verbos sounded a bit more raw and industrial especially in the lower midrange and high freqs. Haven't tried these at home but that was what I heard in person at least. No idea what REV of the Verbos tho, probably the new one Im guessing?

Both equally good in terms of sound for sure, but a taste thing. And hard to describe these things with words, minor differences imo. But at the same time that last % of the sound is pretty important since these oscillators invite so much to minimalism where everything is super exposed in the mix.

I also like the design of the furthrrrr especially considering what it does.. That flower bike makes me think of Harold and Maude, and that beamed up cow makes me think of stuff like Mars Attacks. Im sure that would put me in a nice creative space especially in combo with the more serious looking Verbos stuff I have.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”