VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

johnleonne
Learning to Wiggle

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by johnleonne » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:12 am

Puscha wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:09 am
The Foundation Oscillator through Amp & Tone and Bark Filter makes KILLER oboe/bassoon/clarinet/flute kinds of timbres!
Nicely done! If you're into the woody sounds, how about some killa didg timbres? ;-) This week I had the bark filter ping a module (in my case an MMF-1S) that does a low-pass and adds resonance near the cutoff point, and then modulate the cutoff and Q to get that typical vibration of a didgeridoo. The bark filter was really instrumental in this, scanning the frequencies. I also tried the Verbos dual four pole instead of the MMF-1S, patched it in the same way as much as possible, but found the verbos couldn't resonate as well near the cutoff frequency, not even close actually, it went more into techno and space territory.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:40 pm

[/quote]

Really nice video! Perhaps I'll make one in a similar vain but focusing how I use Verbos modules to make the type of ambient minimalism that I like to compose! :)
[/quote]
yes, please do :)

Something simple here, a kick and a modulated CO :
Complex Oscillator, ATC & DFP for extra filtering deepness :

instagram
dc11- immersion 4 tracks ep of modular deep techno

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:05 am

I'm thinking to pick up the new ATC. I can tell that the old one is better sounding, but I still like the new one more than the MN LXD and Function combo I have now. Can anyone with the new ATC talk a bit about noise floor? I hear some people have issues. I have an Intellijel 7u case. Thanks!

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:29 am

Mine is sitting at around -50db with no input and amplitude turned all the way up, so it's quite noticeable. The noise stays when you add input, but of course if your input is 40-50db louder, you don't generally notice it. You can mostly hear it when you keep the amplitude turned all the way up and use an envelope only on the filter, such that while the filter is closed, you don't hear much of the input and can thus hear the noise.

I do not mind it at all, because I usually don't use it that way - I mostly use an envelope on both amplitude and cutoff (with different amounts). I may also keep the amplitude turned up a bit, especially when it's a "busy" sequence that doesn't really quiet down anyways, but even if amplitude is only turned to 12 o'clock, the noise is not very noticeable at all anymore. But of course, YMMV.

borboto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borboto » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 am

feelingthin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:05 am
I'm thinking to pick up the new ATC. I can tell that the old one is better sounding, but I still like the new one more than the MN LXD and Function combo I have now. Can anyone with the new ATC talk a bit about noise floor? I hear some people have issues. I have an Intellijel 7u case. Thanks!
It does have some noise floor yes, for what was told more than ATC before.I too have have a 7u Intellijel case.
For what I've read it's part of the circuitry and allows the characteristic sound on it. It took me a few days to get used to it and can be more noticed when you keep the amplitude totally CW and bring down the cutoff down but when you use it as a LPG, modulating both frequency and amplitude simultaneously is not that noticeable. (IMHO)
I guess it comes down to your taste in filters, even tho I wasn't a fan of the noisein the beginning I wouldn't trade it for any other filter/lpg now.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks for the detailed responses. It sounds like if you use an envelope on both filter and vca and don't turn the amplitude all the way up it's not that noticeable. I'm going to pick one up. I like the demos even if the original does sound thicker or whatever.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:29 am

Personally, I don't think the old version sounded all that much better. Maybe slightly different, but not to the extent that it's a different module. I had the old one and traded it away at some point (mainly because it was so huge for what it did). I was very happy when a smaller version got released and I really like it. It has a whole lot of sweet spots and sounds plenty fat if you want it to. Also overdrives very nicely. You'll like it :)

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:37 am

feelingthin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am
Thanks for the detailed responses. It sounds like if you use an envelope on both filter and vca and don't turn the amplitude all the way up it's not that noticeable. I'm going to pick one up. I like the demos even if the original does sound thicker or whatever.
If you keep the input gain @ 9:00 you should have a nice clean signal, then increasing the input gain past that point starts adding more color as it starts to overdrive.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

glitch experiment

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:50 pm

i currently have both as i bought a 2020 version and was kinda taken aback by the amount of noise, so i decided to track down an original ATC and compare. i think the noise is really noticeable particularly since i use it in a DAW recording sort of environment so when i'm recording a single part, unless i make use of the input gain drive, the noise is bothersome. not necessarily an issue but in terms of recording, its definitely there and enough to make one pause and consider if its broken. that being said, the module sounds best (IMO) and has the most character when adding that drive/saturation so i generally start with input gain at noon or higher and just accept that i'm using it for the bite. i do have trouble using it for a subtle situation because of the noise.

compared to the old one, they sound different, when matching panel parameters. the response to cranking the resonance feels different as does the overall tone of the LPG (vactrol vs not?), but i don't use it so much for that as the general tone shaping. currently they both may be staying in the rack, although that seems excessive and maybe i need to make a decision. if i was pressed for space, i would consider the 2020 over the original.

advrsry
Common Wiggler

Post by advrsry » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pm

The dead horse has been pretty much pulverized on this topic. I think they are quite different in sound, but they have a pretty similar interface.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 pm

I would love a complete Verbos modular system as a complete instrument to pair with a Make Noise B&G SS and Erica Synths Techno system. That trio of complete modular systems would do everything from drums/bass to ambience to industrial/techno to experimental. Of course that is 15k worth of gear.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:57 pm

I just installed a Scan and Pan and after a couple hours I understanding how leveling, panning, and scanning works with it. However, I cannot get the vcas to respond to cv. I was hoping that I would be able to send the four outs from the Stereo Dipole filter to each input and control the level with envelopes. Doesn't seem to work this way. For now, I am using it to scan waveforms in a stereo field with an audio rate triangle wave in the scan input. I understand the gain, scanning, and all that but if someone understands how the vca works, can you help a brother out?

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:06 pm

The level input CV is added to the slider position and the center/width setting. (The sliders don't act as attenuators like on for example Make Noise.) So if you want to control the channels from 0 to max, set the sliders to 0 and set width and center fully counterclockwise.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. There isn’t a manual for the module. Now I can use post dipole filter. If anyone is concerned about noise, mine is dead quiet. I saw a few posts about it. All in all, a great module and glad I picked one up.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Also, happy to report the Amp and Tone 2020 is awesome and mine is dead silent. The trick is to not turn up the amplitude control past 7-8 o’clock and use the input gain to your heart’s content for saturation and the best overdrive. I don’t see the amplitude raising the volume level on my ad/da converter levels. Maybe it’s an offset and that’s why some people have noise? I’m amazed at how good this filter/vca sounds. Also, not having vactrols isn’t a big deal. It’s not the same spongy sound like from the Optomix or lxd, but I think I prefer this. The envelope is more important. If you want that pluck or bongo sound, just use Maths or a Function envelope. Just wanted to put some good info out there since most of it is about noise and people having issues.

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:17 am

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:16 am

mixxalot wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 pm
I would love a complete Verbos modular system as a complete instrument to pair with a Make Noise B&G SS and Erica Synths Techno system. That trio of complete modular systems would do everything from drums/bass to ambience to industrial/techno to experimental. Of course that is 15k worth of gear.
8-) They do indeed complement nicely.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Dude that is like my dream setup, so jealous :-) and even better than a Buchla Skylab as well.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Volt Gaat Kraken
Common Wiggler

Post by Volt Gaat Kraken » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:10 am

Question to other complex osc owners, the mod index knob for fm/am modulation, works but after 14u30 o'clock till maximum setting, nothing more happens. 14u30 o'clock is the max setting. Is this normal?

borboto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borboto » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:27 am

Is anyone able to reach the guys at Verbos? I tried to reach them by email a couple of times over the last 3-4 months without success.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:47 am

Hi,
It seems none of Verbos oscillators have PWM Square.
Does anyone know why that is? Is it something about West Coast approach in particular?

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am

The harmonic oscillator + a phaser makes for a pretty convincing organ sound :)

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Yes, this makes total sense as the organ has many different pipes of different lengths (harmonics) acting like an "analog" additive synth, no?
I love my VHO. It's so "organic" for the lack of a better word.
egilegilegil wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:37 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:12 pm
Yes, this makes total sense as the organ has many different pipes of different lengths (harmonics) acting like an "analog" additive synth, no?
egilegilegil wrote:
Indeed. Even the interface is similar with the mixer of the HO beeing analagous to the drawbars of an organ!

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:14 pm

That's true!
What would be cool is a booklet showing fader positions for mimicing common instruments and sounds (reed, flute, strings, etc.) I'm sure some sounds are doable on the HO :-)
Happy to collate if people want to send the pics of HO describing interesting sounds they achieved.

egilegilegil wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:37 pm
StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:12 pm
egilegilegil wrote:
Indeed. Even the interface is similar with the mixer of the HO beeing analagous to the drawbars of an organ!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”