VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by feelingthin » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:35 pm

Anyone using two bark filters as a 12 band vocoder?

borboto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borboto » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:14 pm
That's true!
What would be cool is a booklet showing fader positions for mimicing common instruments and sounds (reed, flute, strings, etc.)
Someone please do this.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:00 pm

borboto wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 pm
StrangeAttraction wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:14 pm
That's true!
What would be cool is a booklet showing fader positions for mimicing common instruments and sounds (reed, flute, strings, etc.)
Someone please do this.
I don’t want to just shoot down your idea, but it is in conflict with the west coast design principles behind the Verbos line. West coast modular is, at its core, concerned with exploring experimental and new sounds and completely uninterested in mimicking existing instruments.

borboto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borboto » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:00 pm

I don’t want to just shoot down your idea, but it is in conflict with the west coast design principles behind the Verbos line. West coast modular is, at its core, concerned with exploring experimental and new sounds and completely uninterested in mimicking existing instruments.
I 'm with you on this, I too prefer exploring experimental possibilities. But that said having any kind of gear does not mean that you have to follow that same philosophy 100% of the time. I would totally like to have that booklet just for fun, not because I want to record a track with flutes made with HO.
And if you consider that principle, doing the opposite of what a module is supposed to do is in fact being experimental with that same module since you're not following what was meant to do. (In this case being experimental :hmm: )

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm

borboto wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 pm
And if you consider that principle, doing the opposite of what a module is supposed to do is in fact being experimental with that same module since you're not following what was meant to do. (In this case being experimental :hmm: )
I don’t know if I agree. Going against west coast design philosophy and aesthetic to implement conventional tonalities is certainly defiant and oppositional, but it is far from experimental.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm

I'll pop into this thread with my steaming hot take: the phrase "experimental music" has essentially no meaning at this point in history. The "urinal in an art gallery" moment for music happened more than a generation ago, and at this point, "being experimental/transgressive/etc." is no longer "experimental," "transgressive," or necessarily even "etc."

(I know this is not really mritenburg's point, but I couldn't resist :hihi:)

valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi! Here's an EP, composed mainly with Verbos Modules.
Main Osc is Harmonic osc, main filter is the A&T, sequences are MultiStage and Random Sampling, Fx are MultiDelay (and the Make Noise Mimeophon)
You can see what it could be done with Verbos modules!

Some words about the compositions:
EP composed with a synthesizer mainly made of Verbos Electronic modules. This configuration inspires me the "verb". The verb designates the set of words that express the action or state of the subject. Each module then becomes a syllable, a word, a vocable, developing a language. It becomes a verb that can be varied, declined, conjugated. Each track of the EP is a personal pronoun activating this language and expressing the action or state of its subject.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 am

A small 5steps sequence loop in the Voltage Multistage with the CO and some FO high bleeps :

instagram
dc11- immersion 4 tracks ep of modular deep techno

Volt Gaat Kraken
Common Wiggler

Post by Volt Gaat Kraken » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:06 am

Volt Gaat Kraken wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:10 am
Question to other complex osc owners, the mod index knob for fm/am modulation, works but after 14u30 o'clock till maximum setting, nothing more happens. 14u30 o'clock is the max setting. Is this normal?
Can anyone confirm if this is normal or if mine is broken?

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 am

ATC vs. Amp & Tone

Anyone who has used both--what is your impression now that they've been out for a while? The early impressions I saw of Amp & Tone were not so good.

I've had ATC for years and have always considered it a favorite. I hadn't used it in a while and yesterday I ended up doing a long comparison between it and some other filters and VCAs. I ran a sequence to the HO, varied envelope and settings. The ATC has always had more color than other modules but it just sounded flat. Worse, I had a real hard time finding sweet spots with the gain and resonance balance. No pleasant clipping or screeching / growling resonance--just kind of a deteriorated signal.
In the Optomix, Intellijel VCAs, and Bionic Lester Mk 3, the HO sounded great. (Lester was surprising--a little grit when morphing the filter but otherwise close to what I wanted.) ATC was at the bottom of the list. I'm so disappointed. I don't know if something happened to my ATC (seems unlikely) or if I just had an off night or if I just don't like it any more. I'm thinking maybe replacing it with Amp & Tone would be worth a shot.
How does the Amp & Tone compare in terms of color (does it still sound slightly muffled wide open)? How is the screech and growl? Does the resonance and gain balance well? Is it more or less responsive compared to ATC (one small complaint I've always had with ATC is not much difference between the linear and expo control--they sound about the same most of the time).
Thanks for any feedback you can share.

GmbH
Common Wiggler

Post by GmbH » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:14 am

I didn’t like the new AT at first but I’ve found out that it works better with an envelope in the linear CV input; hence you have control over the filter independently from the VCA as it is not normalised with the filter section that way.
In any case it sounds far more aggressive than the ATC and can resonate very nicely to generate kicks by sending and envelope on the exp. CV with high resonance and playing with the cutoff and CV attenuators; for such case, it sounds better than the ATC. In any case, both have their strengths and distinctive sound characters. I find uses for each in different contexts.

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Post by lilskullymane » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 am

crossposting this marf cookbook here - really helpful with the voltage multistage

https://github.com/wir35/marf-book/raw/ ... f-book.pdf

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:42 pm

After posting that I spent some more time with the ATC and it sounds fine again. Still interested in the Amp & Tone at some point. Enjoying the ATC, Multi-Delay, Bionic Lester mk3 and Optomix in various combinations for harsher sounds lately.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:42 pm

I've been using the Foundation Oscillator for a few days. For years I've had a DPO and HO. I love the DPO for it's subtle organic / woodwind qualities and I think it was the right choice for me over the Complex Oscillator (actually I think I bought it before the CO was released but considered replacing it). The unfiltered sound is cleaner than I was expecting. The waves blend nicely and the timbre and richness give you enough options, especially with audio rate modulation or a bit of gain.
EDIT: I did a long comparison yesterday between the DPO and Foundation Oscillator, switching between them in a variety of patches. The vanilla triangle and square waves are extremely similar, the only difference being the FO square wave is slightly louder. After doing a bunch of tests, the FM sound from these outputs is basically identical, across various frequencies and levels of depth. On the other hand, I tried to replicate some sounds from the FO harmonics section with the DPO hard sync and final out patches. I could get close, but not quite with the same level of practical, easy control.
I think for me it's worth having both because I really like that harmonics section, but I was also surprised at how similar they can be.
Last edited by Voggg on Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:43 am

Voggg wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 am
ATC vs. Amp & Tone

Anyone who has used both--what is your impression now that they've been out for a while? The early impressions I saw of Amp & Tone were not so good.

I've had ATC for years and have always considered it a favorite. I hadn't used it in a while and yesterday I ended up doing a long comparison between it and some other filters and VCAs. I ran a sequence to the HO, varied envelope and settings. The ATC has always had more color than other modules but it just sounded flat. Worse, I had a real hard time finding sweet spots with the gain and resonance balance. No pleasant clipping or screeching / growling resonance--just kind of a deteriorated signal.
In the Optomix, Intellijel VCAs, and Bionic Lester Mk 3, the HO sounded great. (Lester was surprising--a little grit when morphing the filter but otherwise close to what I wanted.) ATC was at the bottom of the list. I'm so disappointed. I don't know if something happened to my ATC (seems unlikely) or if I just had an off night or if I just don't like it any more. I'm thinking maybe replacing it with Amp & Tone would be worth a shot.
How does the Amp & Tone compare in terms of color (does it still sound slightly muffled wide open)? How is the screech and growl? Does the resonance and gain balance well? Is it more or less responsive compared to ATC (one small complaint I've always had with ATC is not much difference between the linear and expo control--they sound about the same most of the time).
Thanks for any feedback you can share.
Here are 2 jams with the HO+AT to give you some ideas of how the AT can sound. I was a bit underwhelmed by the AT at first because it's noisy and sometimes I even gets bleed into it from the HO (like the HO isn't even patched but I can definitely hear it faintly through the AT). But now that I learned its quirks (like the Amplitude control has a huge range and can usually be kept in the lowest range) I'm increasingly liking it.

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:42 pm

I’m trying to find out what is the re-triggering behavior of the Verbos multi envelope. Does a new gate during the release stage restart the envelope from 0V with a discontinuity, does it skip it, or something else? And what about the trigger input?

duncanperson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duncanperson » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm

Artaos wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:42 pm
I’m trying to find out what is the re-triggering behavior of the Verbos multi envelope. Does a new gate during the release stage restart the envelope from 0V with a discontinuity, does it skip it, or something else? And what about the trigger input?
A new gate or trigger restarts the envelope back to the first stage starting at 0V. so yes, if you have a slow attack and release and you retrigger it in the middle of the release stage it will have some discontinuity and jump back to 0V.

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:32 am

duncanperson wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm
Artaos wrote:
A new gate or trigger restarts the envelope back to the first stage starting at 0V. so yes, if you have a slow attack and release and you retrigger it in the middle of the release stage it will have some discontinuity and jump back to 0V.
Thank you for your answer. I’m confused by the description on the Verbos website. It seems to suggest that the trigger and gate inputs don’t behave the same when it comes to re-triggering: “Gate and Trigger inputs can be used alone or together to control re-trigger characteristics.” Do you know what they mean?

Yunsnare
Common Wiggler

Post by Yunsnare » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello here, the last ambient patch with some Harmonic Oscillator for droning. I love it into Optomix !

duncanperson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duncanperson » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:24 am

Artaos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:32 am
duncanperson wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm
Artaos wrote:
Thank you for your answer. I’m confused by the description on the Verbos website. It seems to suggest that the trigger and gate inputs don’t behave the same when it comes to re-triggering: “Gate and Trigger inputs can be used alone or together to control re-trigger characteristics.” Do you know what they mean?
both work the same to fire the envelope, but when using the gate input you can control how long you stay in the sustain stage. The envelope won't move into the release stage until the gate signal is 'off'. I don't really know what they mean about changing the retrig characteristic, they both start the envelope in the same way.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:47 pm

I have a track premiering on Lost in Ether off the forthcoming V/A Survival Strategies for Progressive Persuasions out on the 18th. It's the opening track; deep & dubby techno, all modular, mostly Verbos ! Live one take. A lot of Bark filter in there, with the heavy noise filtering.

instagram

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:47 pm
I have a track premiering on Lost in Ether off the forthcoming V/A Survival Strategies for Progressive Persuasions out on the 18th. It's the opening track; deep & dubby techno, all modular, mostly Verbos ! Live one take. A lot of Bark filter in there, with the heavy noise filtering.

Love it, thanks for sharing! :sb:

What're you using for the kick? What's the patch looking like? Random Sampling for noise or the Noise & Filter?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 am

yellowecho wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Love it, thanks for sharing! :sb:

What're you using for the kick? What's the patch looking like? Random Sampling for noise or the Noise & Filter?
Thank you ! Kick is a layer of BD808 and DFAM if I recall correctly. This was recorded before the new modules came out so it's definitely the R&S providing noise and also modulating the bark filter. The sharp changes are the quantized randoms.
instagram

headroom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by headroom » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
This is so well done. It's just good techno.

If I didn't know it was modules and a 1 take it would still be up my alley, but knowing that makes it super impressive to me.

I've watched your "How I patch" video many times, big fan :-)

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 am

headroom wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
This is so well done. It's just good techno.

If I didn't know it was modules and a 1 take it would still be up my alley, but knowing that makes it super impressive to me.

I've watched your "How I patch" video many times, big fan :-)
Thank you, that's really appreciated ! In the end who cares if it was done with a cracked Live 9, a behringer Crave or a Verbos system.
instagram

Return to “Eurorack Modules”