VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by lilskullymane » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:06 pm

couldn’t wrap my mind around the quantized randoms of the random sampling until i found this video, explains it perfectly. sharing in case it can help others

also, has anyone heard from verbos about mixing several outputs into inputs with his modules? ie two individual gates from the vms into cvp slew trigger in or both random gates into the asr trigger in for the random sampling. i know mannequins modules are supported in this way so i thought i would ask

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:44 am

lilskullymane wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:06 pm
also, has anyone heard from verbos about mixing several outputs into inputs with his modules? ie two individual gates from the vms into cvp slew trigger in or both random gates into the asr trigger in for the random sampling. i know mannequins modules are supported in this way so i thought i would ask
I've often done it without problems; but I don't know the official word on that.
instagram
dc11- immersion 4 tracks ep of modular deep techno

jimfowler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:59 am

lilskullymane wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:06 pm
couldn’t wrap my mind around the quantized randoms of the random sampling...
https://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buch ... ntrols.pdf

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Post by lilskullymane » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:00 pm

thanks @Tumulishroomaroom, @jimfowler! will have to read the rest of ‘electronic music’ this week, that bit is really helpful

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:35 am

So I finally got my first Verbos modules in my system.
The smaller, slightly less expensive newer ones got me to commit.

I have the FO, AT and Noise & Filter. The sound of these are very raw and expressive, IMO. I get why so many of you have full Verbos systems now. Next I would like to find a scan and pan. Any patch tips for that one?

Dreams Yukon
Learning to Wiggle

Dual Amp and Tone Controllers

Post by Dreams Yukon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:39 am

I haven't seen a lot of videos with doubled modules. Here's a peculiar choice, but I was having a discussion on another forum about the ATC, and it came out that I have two in a pretty small system, and I just whipped this up quickly as an example of an unconventional use with an ATC. It's the only oscillator, multi-tracked for three voices.

For some eurorack music with quirky DIY videos (stop motion, claymation, pixel animation, whatever else I can manage to figure out)
https://www.instagram.com/dreamsyukon/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQvdW- ... subscriber

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Dual Amp and Tone Controllers

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 am

Dreams Yukon wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:39 am
I haven't seen a lot of videos with doubled modules. Here's a peculiar choice, but I was having a discussion on another forum about the ATC, and it came out that I have two in a pretty small system, and I just whipped this up quickly as an example of an unconventional use with an ATC. It's the only oscillator, multi-tracked for three voices.

:guinness:

justanametouse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 am

Hey all - first time posting on here after a long time of non-member lurking! If I'm posting in the wrong area, my apologies, but this seemed like the best place in this case.

I've been thinking that this will be the year I take a dive into this world having played with various modular gear previously. I'm pretty interested in the Verbos modules, but I'm a little lost at where to start with them if I were to build out a system. I was thinking about the CO as my first voice. Any recommendations on what to include with that for a newbie? Budget isn't too much of an issue, short of buying the Composition System or something.

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 pm

That really depends on what your musical goals are.
I would probably start as small as possible: CO, A&T, VMS & RS. Plus a function generator of some kind. (Maths, DUSG, Quadra(x), Rampage) Then you can decide which way you want to expand.
Last edited by Triglav on Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GauthierM
Common Wiggler

Post by GauthierM » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:15 pm

any idea why are there so many CO on sale currently ?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Pretty much like Triglav said. Complex and Amp & Tone for sure, so you'll have a (versatile) voice; Voltage multistage to sequence it and modulate it and a simple envelope of your choosing, just make sure it outputs 10v (Make Noise Function is simple and great, or the Multi Enveloppe of course). That is a super solid foundation and pretty much what I always start with when making music.
instagram

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:36 pm

GauthierM wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:15 pm
any idea why are there so many CO on sale currently ?
I don’t think if it’s specific to Verbos modules. This is the time of year when everyone dumps gear in anticipation of new releases announced in conjunction with NAMM.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

glitch experiment

justanametouse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 pm

Triglav wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 pm
That really depends on what your musical goals are.
I would probably start as small as possible: CO, A&T, VMS & RS. Plus a function generator of some kind. (Maths, DUSG, Quadra(x), Rampage) Then you can decide which way you want to expand.
I'd probably mostly be using the modules for somewhat atonal, loop-based techno rather than straight Buchla-ish bleeps and bloops or something melody driven. Throw in some minimal drone-type experiments, too.
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm
Pretty much like Triglav said. Complex and Amp & Tone for sure, so you'll have a (versatile) voice; Voltage multistage to sequence it and modulate it and a simple envelope of your choosing, just make sure it outputs 10v (Make Noise Function is simple and great, or the Multi Enveloppe of course). That is a super solid foundation and pretty much what I always start with when making music.
I was thinking along the lines of a CO, A&T, VMS, ME, and maybe the Bark Filter or Multi-Delay, but wasn't sure if the latter two would be overkill right now. Also thought about the Noise + Filter since it's a pretty small and (relatively) affordable module.

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 pm

That should do it. The Bark probably needs a larger system to utilise all those ins and outs. (Although you could always bring in some external sounds.) The Multi-Delay seems useful even as an end-of-chain effect.

justanametouse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by justanametouse » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm

Triglav wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 pm
That should do it. The Bark probably needs a larger system to utilise all those ins and outs. (Although you could always bring in some external sounds.) The Multi-Delay seems useful even as an end-of-chain effect.
My biggest question around the Multi-Delay is whether or not I’d find valuable ways to use it in sound design. The process I have in mind is to use the modular for sound generation (and hands-on fun), while keeping the signal pretty clear of time-based effects for processing/mixing/arranging ITB. It seems like it’s intended to be more of a sound design tool that brings something to the table outside of the typical application of delay, but I could be very wrong about that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:17 am

justanametouse wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm
It seems like it’s intended to be more of a sound design tool that brings something to the table outside of the typical application of delay, but I could be very wrong about that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No you are totally right, it is indeed a great sound design tool. Although it's also super useful for pseudo rhythmical delays too; I find it really shines to add texture and "barely there" repeats. Also the multitude of feedback options are fantastic. You need a bit of modulation to make the most of it, maybe a little sequential switch too (A-151 never hurts, very useful with the VMS too)
instagram

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:00 am

I finally got a (positively minuscule compared to the rest of the range) amp & tone v2 and I really like it. It's much raspier, has more gain on tap and the resonance screams a bit more. Definitely less smooth than v1. Glad they're so different in the end, makes it worthwhile to have both. This is just a tiny loop with RS opening the filter with the CO through it. It should pair well with the FO too.

instagram

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paul_N » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:09 am

Tom and Mark are posting videos again on the youtube channel. Looks like things are picking back up over there. Kinda curious to see if they are announcing something at NAMM’21. After reading up (and purchasing) an Aeolus Seed quad spatializer, I think Mark could probably put together something similar with the Pan & Scan. It already can do vector synthesis as-is; it just needs some CV controllable logic for sound spatialization/rotation/etc as well as another set of outputs. While it could be viewed as a 227e clone, I think that it can be different enough.. and they can already leverage a lot of the circuitry from the pan & scan.

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:15 am

I've tried to order a Touchplate Keyboard from Schneiders and they've told me it's discontinued. :cat:

shockletit
Common Wiggler

Post by shockletit » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am

This may seem like a sacrilege to post in this thread, but here goes nonetheless:

I picked up a small 2nd hand Verbos system about a year ago and it's not really doing it for me. I don't know if it's just a lack of imagination or experience or skill (probably combination of all three) or the fact that what was coming out of it didn't immediately sound like @Tumulishroomaroom ;)

I don't seem to personally like the sound quality of what's coming out of it. I do love the built in attenuation though.

It consists of HO, CO, A&T, VMS and DFP in a nice case made in Brooklyn with a Verbos powerboard. I think all of the modules were produced around the same time. rev 2 on the CO. I've not really looked at the backs of the rest in great detail.

So two questions:

1. Has anyone had similar experiences with Verbos initially and found techniques, methods or realisations/flashes of inspiration that suddenly turned around either their appreciation for the instrument or their thinking in approaching it?

2. If I were to eventually decide to sell it to release the cash tied up in it for exploring other modules from other manufactures do you think there's more value in keeping it together as a set or parting it out module by module? Is there a market for 'period' Verbos pieces? I think the A&T and the CO with the vactrols are no longer produced?

For a bit more context: I'm finding the sound too flat and mushy/muddy and I'm attempting to make techno with it.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:43 am

I would think you need more modulation sources to get something out of the HO. And characterful reverb and delay effects might help too. Other than that it is a matter of taste of course but the CO and the A&T are a great sounding duo and the VMS has some wonky/groovey character, especially when you use it with the internal irregular timing features and control note length by the lower section.

The original A&T should have a market as it was a good module with a nice sound. Also I once had DFP which had to be replaced with a newer edition and I found it to not sound as good then as the one I originally had. Don't remember the revisions though and don't have a feeling that there is much talking about these differences to make it really more attractive from a selling standpoint. It also had some flaws I think.

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:06 pm

shockletit wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am

For a bit more context: I'm finding the sound too flat and mushy/muddy and I'm attempting to make techno with it.
unFlat -> animate parameters with EG, LFOs, EG/LFO textures (like Zadar). It can be dramatic or almost subtle.
unFlat -> Verbos ATC has great drive section. If it's not enough some guys like OTO Boum or cheap Feedback Modular KM60, BX can help. And it got the color of analog techno.
mushy/muddy - if you record track by track - it can be some problems with multi-track interferences, too much of low-mids.
the first problem when I can tell that my modular sounds are muddy - too much reverb, or I'm tired after day job and need some rest instead of modular playing
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 pm

shockletit wrote:
This may seem like a sacrilege to post in this thread, but here goes nonetheless:

I picked up a small 2nd hand Verbos system about a year ago and it's not really doing it for me. I don't know if it's just a lack of imagination or experience or skill (probably combination of all three) or the fact that what was coming out of it didn't immediately sound like @Tumulishroomaroom ;)
ahah thanks ! Maybe chuck a little Shakmat Hipass to help removing/cleaning some frequencies ? Also I find the VMS/CO/ATC combo quite lethal for loopy/minimal techno. Just throw a good FX box in there as well and you have riffs/atmospheres for days.

In other Verbos news :

Lost in Ether is premiering a track from my upcoming ep on Cosmic Wave records. It's all modular, one take mostly Verbos. The very clicky percussion is the Loquelic Iteritas into the Bark filter which really imparts its character with the steep filters. The CO is doing the second, bubbly synth line.

instagram

slaverevoltinaesthetics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slaverevoltinaesthetics » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Full systems finally available:
http://www.verboselectronics.com/systems

Abomb1st
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Abomb1st » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 pm

shockletit wrote:

I don't seem to personally like the sound quality of what's coming out of it. I do love the built in attenuation though.

It consists of HO, CO, A&T, VMS and DFP in a nice case made in Brooklyn with a Verbos powerboard. I think all of the modules were produced around the same time. rev 2 on the CO. I've not really looked at the backs of the rest in great detail.

So two questions:

1. Has anyone had similar experiences with Verbos initially and found techniques, methods or realisations/flashes of inspiration that suddenly turned around either their appreciation for the instrument or their thinking in approaching it?

2. If I were to eventually decide to sell it to release the cash tied up in it for exploring other modules from other manufactures do you think there's more value in keeping it together as a set or parting it out module by module? Is there a market for 'period' Verbos pieces? I think the A&T and the CO with the vactrols are no longer produced?

I also sometimes find the sound can get a bit muddy, the original ATC filter doesn’t fully open (on mine anyway) , I have to use the res to get a bit more push out the top. I actually prefer the old ATC for bass duties and the new one for more high end stuff due to this. Also I find sometimes the input gain on the ATC can make everything sound a bit flat if pushed too hard. Maybe running out to headroom or something, when you do get everything dialled in though Verbos sounds incredible. I would spend some time with the modules before giving up. Random Sampling brought all the Verbos modules to life for me as well. That and CVP have been the best buys for my Verbos system.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”